Spent some time on a 3BF...

JasonDonnelly

Spent some time on a 3BF...

Post by JasonDonnelly »

I spent the better part of last week playing on a King 3BF Silversonic in big band. Normally, I play bass trombone, but we were doing a Christmas gig with the Eillington Nutcracker Suite as the main event.

For those unfamiliar, the modern edition of the Ellington includes a 4th trombone part that is very much a hybrid. There are a handful of low E's and D's, but also lots of high range playing (up to a high D). In addition, depending on the context it is sometime voiced above 3rd trombone and sometimes below it.

It didn't take me long to realize that my bass bone wasn't the right tool for the job. Thankfully, a fellow band member was kind enough to lend me his 3BF.

And...wow...these horns are special.

Blow and resistance-wise, I couldn't even tell this thing had a valve on it. It was incredibly easy to play at any dynamic, and the high range sung just like on any other straight small tenor. The low range was great too, I popped out the low D's, as well as some (director-requested!) low Db's and a pedal F at the end of the overture.

Long story short, if I ever end up upgrading my small bore equipment, this is gonna be at the top of my list.
University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance 21'
Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium 24'

Courtois 551BHRA
Besson Prestige 2052S
Conn 88HSCL
Kuhnl and Hoyer Slokar Alto (Eb/Bb)

Various Greg Black mouthpieces
Nhtrombone

Re: Spent some time on a 3BF...

Post by Nhtrombone »

What vintage 3BF?
JasonDonnelly

Post by JasonDonnelly »

I'd have to check. Anniversary model, perhaps? Whatever it was, it played great.
University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance 21'
Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium 24'

Courtois 551BHRA
Besson Prestige 2052S
Conn 88HSCL
Kuhnl and Hoyer Slokar Alto (Eb/Bb)

Various Greg Black mouthpieces
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

My 70s-era 3B-F is one of my favorite horns. A buddy has a Silver Sonic 3B-F and I drool every time I see it.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

JasonDonnelly wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:18 pm I'd have to check. Anniversary model, perhaps? Whatever it was, it played great.
I just got an Anniversary model (1993) with F-attachment. About a week ago. Woohoo! What a horn.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Splendour

Post by Splendour »

I have a battered 70's 3BF that has become my preferred instrument for providing bass accompaniment for small groups and singers. If I stick my bass sackbut mouthpiece in, I can accompany even the quietest of voices without overpowering them.
Given how much I love playing my 2B Silvertone I can imagine the joy a 3BF Silversonic could be to play
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The 3BF is the only thing I play for big band, NOLA brass band, rock/pop, or commercial music. It feels good to play, has an appropriate sound profile, and for me is super easy to switch to as someone who plays a symphonic tenor 95% of the time. And it is really fun to cut with my silversonic from time to time.

"Oh but it's got a valve on it though"

Who cares? Have you seen some of these new brass band charts? I'll take the extra range.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Hey, if you're going to be the only trombone in a band, being able to pop out a solid trigger note or two once in a while can come in handy - particularly if you don't have a full-time bari sax player.

Return to “Instruments”