Marcinkiewicz 105 - Anyone try one?

Wilhelm

Marcinkiewicz 105 - Anyone try one?

Post by Wilhelm »

Does anyone have experience with the Marcinkiewicz 105? It states on their website it is a copy of Ed Kleinhammer's Schilke mouthpiece. It is listed as a contrabass mouthpiece, which I am assuming means that it is used in a horn with the leadpipe pulled. I know Kleinhammer was the first bass trombonist to play without a leadpipe, so I am thinking it has the larger shank.

After years (decades?) playing a 1937 Conn 70H, I pulled out my old Bach 50B which has the leadpipe pulled. I am playing on a Schilke custom mouthpiece a friend gave me back in the late 1980's which was based on Charlie Vernon's mouthpiece he was using at the time. I forgot how much I love playing without the leadpipe... don't judge me for it! :-) If you have the air capacity to handle it, the orchestral sound you can get is amazing!

Ed Kleinhammer was my idol as a student and young professional (as I am sure he was to many other bass trombonists of my generation) and I would love to have a go with a copy of his mouthpiece.

Anyone ever try this mouthpiece?

Thanks to all!
BGuttman

Re: Marcinkiewicz 105 - Anyone try one?

Post by BGuttman »

I used a 105 for a while. It's shank is a little larger than a standard bass shank so it made my horn play flat It's a BIG mouthpiece, if that's what you are looking for. I went from it to a Warburton 3/3B setup and from that to my Doug Elliott.

I still use the 105 from time to time on my 1892 Conn Eb tuba (as opposed to my 107).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'm borrowing one to try on contra.

On contra, it's a little small for me. I didn't think about trying it on bass. AFAIK, it fits a bass shank just fine (my contra has a bass leadpipe). It does stick out farther than a normal mouthpiece, but has just as much shank in the leadpipe, if that makes sense.

It does seem to stick out the right amount in a leadpipe-less slide, though it wobbles since there is no taper.

Eyeballing it next to my Laskey 95D, it looks pretty similar internally. It has a wider rim and a larger throat. Since it has a larger throat, I don't think I could get along with it on bass... .312 is a good limit, I think.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I have played the 105 for a number of years in my Holton bass bone. I love it. It has a wider rim because, like Kleinheimer's personal mouthpiece, it was made from a larger blank than was used by the Schilke 60 (production version of same). Currently I am using the Marc 107 - a copy of the mouthpiece R Schilke made for Charlie Vernon. If I support my air properly, neither make me play flat.I don't know if either will fit a horn with no lead pipe. As commercial player I haven't really been interested in that kind of sound, however, no one complains that I sound bright!
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

Thanks so much for your input! Last night, I saw Dillon Music has a used 105 for sale and I will pick it up and give it a try.

Thanks again!
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Please let us know what you think of the piece!
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com

Return to “Mouthpieces”