Dutch Bass Trombone Open

Looking for opportunities?
Burgerbob

Dutch Bass Trombone Open

Post by Burgerbob »

Anyone else going to be there? Excited to be back on the Continent for a bit!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Carolus

Re: Dutch Bass Trombone Open

Post by Carolus »

Aye!
Looking forward to meeting you!
Will be flying to AMS on Thursday.

Carl
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'm back!

It was a great time. I encourage anyone to attend. I got to meet Carl, above, as well as many others from around the world.

With 7 other bass trombonists (from 7 countries total), we put together an octet and played the Grieg Funeral March-

I had a masterclass with Martin Schippers, the 2nd/bass trombonist of the Concertgebouw Orchestra. I think that went pretty well.

I played many horns, of course... I am always trying out new things. Since I recently acquired a contra, I wanted to see how it stacked up against these modern instruments. The Thein Universal I thought was an OK instrument... similarly difficult to play in the mid/upper register as mine, more open down low. The Laetzsch instruments (one in German, one in American tuning) were both much easier to play and really blew me away all around. I do prefer the German tuning, which I didn't think would be the case.

The Thein basses I didn't really like. If I changed my approach and mouthpiece, I think I could live with them, but it would be a pretty drastic change.

Laetzsch is making some good instruments! The bass I played was very well built, very light, and very easy to play. The sound didn't do much for me, though.

I finally played a good Bach 50AF3. I'm glad there are some out there.

Of course, the Open is more than the instruments... we closed the bar both nights, drinking the Bass Bone Beer brewed especially for the event. There's nothing like a hang with only bass trombonists.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Looks like you had great fun - and you met Daniel Clemmensen from Copenhagen, he's bringing Lätsch to town, so to speak. I met him 2013 at the danish-german brass academy in Gråsten, and have since bought my Meinl-Weston Eb tuba from him. Thanks for posting the Grieg video!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yes! Daniel and I have been friends online for a few years now. It was nice to meet him in person.
trombonejb

Post by trombonejb »

brb switching to bass trombone

lol jk Happy for you burgerbob
Bach 42A - DE Silver XT N104 Rim, XT F+✯Cup, G8 Shank
HenryLooma

Dutch Bass Trombone Open

Post by HenryLooma »

That does look a nice ride Brubru, but was it really not over 60 kph? Or was the rider being ironic? My Dutch translation isnt up to much

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”