LSO Principal Trombone vacancy

Looking for opportunities?
StephenK

LSO Principal Trombone vacancy

Post by StephenK »

Job for someone?
The London Symphony Orchestra invites applications for the post of Principal Trombone.
https://lso.co.uk/orchestra/jobs.html
boneagain

Re: LSO Principal Trombone vacancy

Post by boneagain »

Mr. Bright is a class act. Wrote to him out of the blue in a TTF discussion about a physics demonstration he did with Richard Smith that Smith reprised on Youtube last year. Received a very gracious and helpful answer. By that time, though the TTF discussion had degraded into the usual diatribes against science and I did not want to involve Mr. Bright or Mr. Smith in any of that.

He certainly will be missed.

I wonder if Peter Moore will get the nod, and a new associate principal be hired?
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

boneagain wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:46 am Mr. Bright is a class act.
Absolutely.

A few years ago, I attended a clinic he gave at a local high school. Most of the crowd was HS and Jr. HS kids. At one point, he asked the question: "What is the secret of good trombone playing" to which one of the youngsters (maybe 14 at the oldest" answered: "Sound more like a euphonium."

Mr. Bright was clearly taken aback for a moment, but just a moment. Rather than directly contradict this bit of foolishness that the kid had clearly been fed by his bad director (yes, I left the "n" out intentionally), Mr. Bright said something along the lines of "Well, let's focus on the second half of that" and proceeded to talk about tone production.

I don't know if I could or would have been quite so gracious.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Updates?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I recently returned from a trip to Europe, and had the pleasure of attending two concerts in the Musikverein in Vienna:
• Vienna Symphony Orchestra: Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique and Lelio.
Magnificent performance by a fine orchestra in a stunning concert hall.
• Trombone recital by Peter Moore. An amazing young trombonist (22 years old!),
appointed co-principal trombone of the London Symphony in 2014 at age 18!
Apparently the LSO may have stopped looking for another co-principal -
on their Website, Moore is the only 1st trombonist mentioned.
You will be hearing his name in the future - he's a wonderful musician.

Needless to say, if you ever make it to Vienna, attend a concert at the Musikverein. You won't regret it!
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Peter Moore has the title of co-principal, but he is actually the 2nd trombone who steps into the principal chair when needed. The chair that is open is principal (not a co position). Kind of confusing, but some orchestras use the title co-principal instead of associate principal, while others use that title to refer to 2 players that equally share the job. Peter would, of course, step into the 1st chair until he either is given the job by audition or another process that is part of the LSO process. He is a fantastic player who is probably a front runner for the job, but I would guess that the orchestra needs to go through the process and have the audition, where the best player that day will prevail. If the orchestra doesn't list Dudley Bright as principal anymore, it probably means he's already started his retirement.

By the way, I've been hearing Peter Moore's name all over the net ever since he won the BBC Young Artist's competition at 13, playing the Tomasi Concerto! Also, plus-1 for the Musikverein - a highlight of my career was our concert there on a European tour for my orchestra. Most amazing acoustics I've ever experienced, and a beautiful space as well.

Jim Scott
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 pm Also, plus-1 for the Musikverein - a highlight of my career was our concert there on a European tour for my orchestra. Most amazing acoustics I've ever experienced, and a beautiful space as well.
Jim Scott
Jim,

Thanks for the clarification about Peter Moore's position.

You are certainly correct about Vienna's Musikverein Goldener Saal. It's a gorgeous space with fantastic acoustics. I don't have his knowledge and ear, of course, but Herbert von Karajan apparently said its sound was second only to Boston's similarly designed Symphony Hall (and that only because of Boston's "slightly lower reverberation time"). I am eager to return to Vienna to attend more concerts.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Symphony Hall in Boston is another gem. Another place that I got to play at once on tour. I remember it being so noticeably great to play in, partly because it followed a couple of stops that weren't so wonderful.

Jim
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm Symphony Hall in Boston is another gem.
Jim
:good:

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”