Dual Bore Tenor Bone = Slide Euphonium?

Leisesturm

Dual Bore Tenor Bone = Slide Euphonium?

Post by Leisesturm »

Greetings: I am considering an F attachment stencil horn and the only model available has a .547/.562 dual bore slide. I am wondering what the point of this is. Do you really get the blow of a 547 with the sound of a 562? I don't know, somehow I doubt it can be that easy. Elsewhere someone commented that the dual bore makes the sound of the instrument more 'conical', like a Euphonium. That actually wouldn't be a bad thing, if true. Is it? Anyone have actual experience with a dual bore instrument to shed light. TNX
BGuttman

Re: Dual Bore Tenor Bone = Slide Euphonium?

Post by BGuttman »

The 547/562 was developed for Jay Friedman at Chicago. He needed a horn with a lot of sound.

Going from a King 606 it will be a complete air hog and you may find it difficult to get any significant volume (and you'll feel very dizzy as well).

See if you can find a Medium Bore with F like a King 607 or Yamaha 446.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I have a 1947 Olds Standard that's dual bore. It's about the least conical sounding horn I've played. :shock: No one would mistake it for a euphonium or anything else in the conical family.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've also got a 547/562 Olds (S-20) and I've owned a 547/562 Conn 70h as well as a 547/562 Holton TR159 and a TR156. In each case, the dual bore slide gives the instrument more "heft" to the sound without requiring more air. In the case of the Olds, I'm using it to back off what I consider the "slide euphonium" sound of a straight 562 bore bass trombone that I've been playing. So, yes, the sound of a 547/562 is somewhat darker than a straight 547, but not as much as going to 562. I think it does require less air as well. It's not a case of extremes, there are more gradual nuances involved. The 547/562 is an intermediate step between the 547 and 562 in terms of sound and air. I personally think it's a great compromise for people who want to play low notes but don't need pedal F and down. Like a 4th bone instead of a true bass.

On the Jay Friedman horns (Holtons), they were supposed to be tenors, and when I played the 156, it just had incredible power. I'm pretty sure the Olds and 70h dual bores pre-dated Mr. Friedman's involvement in design.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The "slide euphonium" phrase is one of my big pet peeves, though I generally understand the sentiment and so when you hear it, know that the author is probably using a dollop of hyperbole. After all, even the most normal, non-musical person is going to be able to tell the difference between any euphonium and any trombone. Even my mother can tell that difference and she can barely play the radio! Never, ever going to happen and if it could that would be awesome because I could bring my trombone to the Euph gigs I did and not have to practice fingerings! It would also make traveling a lot easier!

I've found the "plays like the top, sounds like the bottom' to largely be true but there's more context to it. You won't sound like a bass trombone if you put a tenor bell on the slide. You might sound closer, but there's absolutely no getting around the fact that a bell section from a tenor doesn't sound like a bass trombone. If that were the case, that would be awesome, no point in getting a second bell section! Just get two slides on really any bell section and you're good to go. I even tried that --- I have a dependent tenor bell section. Not at all the same thing.

So take a full tenor trombone. Okay, now swap out the 547 slide for a 562 slide. There is a difference. It isn't a bass for sure. At least how most people think of it. It has a broader sound than a 547. The 547/562 might then split the difference to some degree. In my experience they will sound closer --- maybe not all the way there but pretty close --- to the lower slide. They will feel a little closer although perhaps not all the way there to the upper slide. So they don't "split the middle" per-se in the sense that they aren't 50% feel & sound of one and 50% feel & sound of the other. The ratio is a little bit more complicated.

In the case of stencils, the reason is almost always that they are copies of other horns. It might NOT be a stencil too; Wessex has a "Super tenor" that is sort of in that vein and was designed for a specific purpose and type of player in mind. The original design of this stencil is probably for the same reason. Looking for players like Bruce mentioned. Note that the 90s, heavier bells and bigger slides were pretty popular. That trend sort of died down but there are still some players who prefer it and sound really great on those types of setups. To tie it back to the first statement, when the pendulum swung that direction there were a lot of people who felt quite vindicated at what they felt like were accurate descriptions of that type of sounds as, "an arms race", "tanks", "cannons", so on and so forth. As to whether the horn will work, or even that style of horn will work are dependent on your physiology as well as the type of playing that you can do. I'd generally not recommend one without playing it first but with the full acknowledgement that it will probably be okay for many players.
Leisesturm

Post by Leisesturm »

You guys are awesome. In fact, it is the Wessex stencil I am looking at. They are sold out of the 'straight' .547 and have (so far) not responded to inquiry about when, or if, one is coming back.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I had my TR156 in the late 80s. It was a 547/562 no trigger 9" bell Friedman tenor. I never explored the low range with it, but for orchestral tenor stuff - 1st parts - it was very powerful. I played a lot back then, and could drive that kind of hardware, even in the high range.

These days, having developed a slight breathing problem, I'm looking for that size to back off the traditional specs for a bass. So still 547/562, but with a 9" bell and two triggers. For my purposes, that completely replaces a bass. But I'm a tenor player, and really don't like what I consider the nebulous, unfocused sound of a big Edwards, especially the 562/578 dual with a 10" bell. I have a bass with standard specs (562, 9.5" bell) and it's just too dark (too far in the direction of a euphonium sound - hyperbole? well, more of an analogy), so moving half way in between a tenor and a traditional bass gives me the sound I like.

Try playing a TR159 below the staff and tell me that's not a gorgeous, full, wonderful sound. It only has one valve, but that horn would be great as a double trigger.

I also had a prototype from Wessex, dual trigger, 547, 8.5" bell. That was one hell of a horn, but it sounded like a rip saw down low. I replaced the bell with a 5b 9" bell, and that helped, but a dual bore slide would have made it perfect - extremely powerful in any range, use a 4G and it would be a huge Friedman style tenor, or a 1.25G and it's a powerful commercial bottom bone.

I think that Wessex "supertenor" was a project by Chip Hoehler to take some of the great things about the old Holtons, and build it into a modern horn with a great valve. He loved the old Holtons. I had my eye on that Wessex as well (pbf555), but got the Olds S-20 instead, which added TIS to the mix, which really warms up the sound.

Is the phrase "slide euphonium" hyperbole? Maybe. But it helps you visualize the problem with the sound. There is such a thing as too dark, and I think a lot of current bass trombones live in that territory.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

It’s the player that makes the sound, not the instrument. I’ve always thought the phrase “Boy that horn sounds great!” was odd.

My experience after playing an Edwards dual bore bass for 7 or 8 years was that it took more air, so I had to learn to use more of my lung capacity all the time, and I had to learn to play more efficiently at the chops. It also meant that I had to plan some phrasing and breathing more carefully. It sounded “broader” (whatever that means). It was also easier to play mf to fff (and louder when necessary), but difficult to play mp and softer—that is, it always sounded “loud,” not just present. It took some effort to play mp and softer in order to get a pure, focused sound rather than a “blah,” lifeless sotte voce sound.

[Editorial note: If you think about it, most of the playing we do in orchestral and symphonic band music, and to a lesser extent in brass bands and jazz bands, is at the p to mf level. Why make playing more difficult? Or, as Peter Ellefson told me once, “Why dance ballet in logging boots?”]

My belief about the “slide tuba” or “tubby” sound that sometimes happens with dual bore slides is that younger or inexperienced players will use them in an attempt to produce a bigger or fuller sound. Unfortunately, because of the larger, second leg of the slide emphasizes the middle and lower harmonics and the decreased resistance of the air column, the younger player will decrease aperture size in an attempt to compensate. That, I believe, is one source of the “tubby” or “slide tuba” sound.

Also, if you compare the modern American sound on this larger equipment to someone playing a single bore, more traditional instrument (think a Conn 70H or a stock 50B), it’s going to sound “bigger” and “darker.”

Larger, dual bore horns certainly have their place, as does the more traditional bass trombone sound. It really depends on the player and the requirements of the music.

There are, of course, dual bore tenors. The same challenges apply—focused sound, greater use of air, slightly “louder” sound overall—but to a lesser degree. Again, my opinion and experience. YMMV.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I own a Conn 70H with TIS and dual bore slide from the early 1930's. I credit it with helping me build a solid career. A GORGEOUS sounding instrument ! Let me leave you with this image in mind : Picture a guy who weighs 395 pounds and can bench press 300 pounds. Now ---- Imagine a guy who weighs 175 pounds and who can ALSO bench press 300 pounds. The difference between those two examples is the difference between a horn with a straight bore and one with a dual bore. The sound of a straight bore is comparatively fat, loose,dumpy and unfocused when compared to the lean, solid, chunky and focused characteristics of a dual bore. The same work is accomplished, the same notes are played, but the sound has more "authority". Let's face it ----- it's impossible to put the difference into words, but once you've tried it [ and you owe it to yourself to do so ], you'll understand. Onward !!
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

2bobone wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:51 pm I own a Conn 70H with TIS and dual bore slide from the early 1930's. I credit it with helping me build a solid career.

Let's face it ----- it's impossible to put the difference into words, but once you've tried it [ and you owe it to yourself to do so ], you'll understand. Onward !!
Yes, words are inadequate. The exception that proves the rule. And YMMV.
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have two horns with 547/562 slides. There are notes in my profile. I love duobore. Every horn I have except two is a duobore. My bass and my pbone are single bore.
I have trouble with back pressure with the single bore horns. My face ends up getting uptight and I end up pushing the MP into my face. Duobore just relaxes my playing. I feel like my air is more efficient and I get more sound with less air. If I needed smaller I would need to go 525/547 but I don't. In Theory, I guess if I could keep my embouchure perfect on a single bore horn I would use less air. I guess that is where reality matters more. Do what works for you.
I have heard some say the sound is set by the leadpipe bore and the other side is only about comfort. I fit that school of thought. I have heard some say your air is the small side and the other will make the sound. To me, not so much.
When I was considering buying a new duobore slide I tried my bass slide on my tenor and had no trouble with air. That made me more confident I would be ok on the duobore.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I’d like to temper what I said above.

I started to have some breathing problems several years ago, and was diagnosed with adult onset asthma about 3 years ago. That might account for my personal experience of a dual bore bass being such a “lung sucker.” Also, a bass with a dual bore slide and Thayer valves is going to have very little resistance. I think these two factors, as well as my desire to pursue a somewhat more “traditional” bass trombone sound, influenced my decision to go back to a Bach 50.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not against dual bore trombones. Specifically, I like the modern American bass trombone sound, especially when played by someone who can fill the horn and get a nice, full and focused sound. I just can’t do that anymore.
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Back to the OP, that Wessex is a fine instrument. I haven't played it specifically but I've played so many so much like it that I feel I know what it's about. I would equate it a Holton tr-159. You have to be a really powerful player to get the most from this. It's really built on the Friedman model, and of course Friedman is best Known for that huge Chicago Symphony sound. Not to say you couldn't play quintet or Solo with it, it's just meant for powerful players, and maybe larger groups and venues.

There are dual bores of various sizes. From sub-500 bore to the 562/578 monsters. There is nothing inherently good or bad about dual bore. I think they split the difference of the characteristics of the two individual bores. So a 547/562 is going to play larger than a 547. An 8.75" bell is likewise going to play a little bigger than an 8.5" bell.

The Wessex will play somewhere between a Bach and a Holton, probably like the tr-159. If you buy it, please report back here.
Leisesturm

Post by Leisesturm »

What I would love is one ‘do it all’ model that would allow me to duet with Horn, and solo against pipe organ, and play Cello transcriptions. Is that crazy? Cello goes to C below the bass clef and its a hard cutoff. Horn goes up to (concert) G above the Treble Clef, that is not a hard cut off. Do I need a dual rotor.562? Can a .562 play to the top of the Treble Clef? Is there such a thing as a dual rotor .547 or .547/.562?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You don't need a dual rotor. You can get to low C on a conventional F-attachment (but it's WAY out on the slide).

You can hit Bb above the treble staff on a bass trombone. Alan Raph can do it. But it takes a LOT of practice.

You can play most of the horn lit on a horn with an F-attachment. Remember, the basic horn is the length of an f-attachment trombone and has a "trigger" to make it the length of a regular Bb trombone. And it's bore is WAY smaller.

A King 3B-F should be able to do all you are looking for. But you need to practice the doggone thing. You won't be able to just pick it up and play like [insert trombone god here].
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

What I would love is one ‘do it all’ model that would allow me to duet with Horn, and solo against pipe organ, and play Cello transcriptions. Is that crazy? ... snip ...Is there such a thing as a dual rotor .547 or .547/.562?
I have such a horn. I do quite like it; it's a Shires that I had built a custom dependent rotor configuration for. I have a 562, 547, and 525/547 slide for it at the moment. At various times, I've had a 508/525, 525, and 547/562 as well with it. However, there are some caveats and I might not recommend going the route I did... nor would I probably take the route again in hindsight.

Realistically, depending on your skill level even a King 3BF would be fine for what you want. I actually had a King 3BF that was pullable to E or so that had a tremendous low range. Like, unbelievably good. That would technically tick all your boxes even so you probably have more options than you think.

At any rate, the bell section is the important component here. A tenor bell section is going to basically feel and sound like a tenor and a bass bell section is going to basically going to feel and sound like a bass. If you want more of a tenor sound, go for a tenor. If you want a bass, go for a bass! When I originally built my current setup that I mentioned earlier, I was going for something quite similar. An 'everything' horn. Since it was modular, it had a much wider range of options than the one you are thinking of buying. Had an 8", 8.5", and 9" bells (Bach 36, 2RVET7, Holton 151(I think)). And the 508/525, 547, 547/562, and 562 slides. Once it was made I was a little disappointed because it just wasn't able to do everything I wanted. Even the Duo Gravis I had at the time came out as a clear winner vs. the 9" bell with the 562 slide, and it's definitely on the smaller side. It just doesn't sound like a bass.

Passable in certain contexts? Sure. Actually, really really great in some contexts. I still prefer playing cello suites on my bass but they work very well on the tenor and is a nice deviation as they're obviously quite a different timbre. The second rotor makes some of them doable (prelude to the 1st for example with the low B naturals) and markedly easier than with a single rotor.

On the other side of the spectrum, I had used the 508/525 slide for quite some time and while I liked the setup, actually I loved that setup, it wasn't ever the best horn I had for any context. I really wish I could have made it the best somewhere because it was a real joy to play but for more commercial stuff, my Shires 508 just worked better and for classical stuff the 547 likewise.

At any rate, to answer your other questions:
Leisesturm wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:10 pm Cello goes to C below the bass clef and its a hard cutoff. Horn goes up to (concert) G above the Treble Clef, that is not a hard cut off. Do I need a dual rotor.562? Can a .562 play to the top of the Treble Clef?
Take a listen to Ralph Sauer doing the Prelude to Suite 1: https://youtu.be/kUQTBcdb3eo. Very musical! Was on a 525/547 Conn 88 if my timeline is right on what his setup was prior to getting into Shires. So doable? Absolutely. He made a few edits for notes that you can't really do on tenor... or can do but they're false tones. If its good enough for Mr. Sauer... good enough for me! If you prefer to play them exactly as written though, yeah you'd basically need a second tenor or pull to an E attachment for some of the low stuff... B naturals & Cs.

As far as the altissimo G. Yeah, you can do that on a 562. I can't find anything in particular but Jay Friedman was nailing that register on the 'Friedman Bach' which was a 50 slide on a 42 bell section. It wouldn't be my first choice personally if I was doing horn stuff though.

Honestly, it sounds like you'd be fine with a good medium bore. The stuff you're performing needs you to cut a little and be in the higher ranges. The cello suites can be done on many horns, especally if personal edification is your aim. The Yamahas might be worth looking at because some of them have a pretty easy pull to E. Grain of salt though since I'm selling one at the moment.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like you are correct - C is the lowest note on most of the ones I see but I could have sworn there was a B in there some where. In either case, my point still stands that the 2nd rotor can be useful even on tenor. The E pull still also help . I can't actually reach low C on a tenor if the F attachment is on F. My arms aren't long enough without contorting my body :weep:
Leisesturm

Post by Leisesturm »

My head is spinning. But ... <evil grin> I'm starting to get ideas. Well .. an idea. I just need to know one more thing. Slides. I guess it never occurred to me that slides could be bought, sold, and traded independently of the rest of the horn. Is the mating collar of the slide section a standard diameter by convention so that any bell section will fit any slide?
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I have several dual bore horns. My take on this is a dual bore plays like the upper slide with a possible sound of the lower slide. Then it is up to the player to make that happen.

The slide euphonium-like sound do happen when the gears are to big for the player to master, too dificult for the player to handle. His techniques is not develloped enough to make the equipment work for him to produce the varity of complex trombone sounds that need to be there.

The trombone has many preffered sounds and on the same horn we need to produce all the sounds we need in the actual context. People with a "slide-euphonium" sound often have only that sound. No sparkles in the trio of a march. No luster in a lyrical ballade. No edge when playing accentuated percussive effect's. In short the sound is dull and introverted. Is this how an euphonium sound? No it is an insult to all euphonium players to be compared like this. A lot of euphonium players do sound bad though.

/Tom
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Leisesturm wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:13 am My head is spinning. But ... <evil grin> I'm starting to get ideas. Well .. an idea. I just need to know one more thing. Slides. I guess it never occurred to me that slides could be bought, sold, and traded independently of the rest of the horn. Is the mating collar of the slide section a standard diameter by convention so that any bell section will fit any slide?
Some slides fit "foreign" horns but others don't swap directly.

Conn 88H slides all fit. So yo can pair an old Elkie bell with a modern 2525 or 4762 to change things up

Edwards and Shires offer varieties of slides to fit particular bells.

Sometimes you can test out a combination by friction fitting (no bell nut) the pair, although that's not a long term solution.

In other cases you need to replace either the slide tenon or the bell receiver (or both) to make things work. eXAMPLE: A King 606 and Conn 22H are essentially identical, but the King bell nut is on the slide and the Conn bell nut is on the bell.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Leisesturm wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:13 am My head is spinning. But ... <evil grin> I'm starting to get ideas. Well .. an idea. I just need to know one more thing. Slides. I guess it never occurred to me that slides could be bought, sold, and traded independently of the rest of the horn. Is the mating collar of the slide section a standard diameter by convention so that any bell section will fit any slide?
Conventions sometimes exist within manufacturers. Probably the most widely used for large bores is the Bach 42... sort of. There are several other manufacturers slides that fit it. The part that sticks out of the slide that you insert into the bell section is called a tenon. Tenons that are compatible with Bach 42 and 50 bell sections usually include:

Bach 42
Bach 50
Edwards 454
Edwards 396
Edwards 350
Edwards 327
Courtouis (? certain models)
Some of the Yamaha basses
Shires medum, large, and bass bore*
Greenhoe Bachs (not sure about the new ones, but the old ones are the same part)

*Shires tenons are dfferent but they will at least usually work fairly well together. The opposite setup, a Shires bell on a Bach slide will work more easily as there is just some overlap. However, it isn't always a good match depending on the Bach side of the equation as the tolerances can make the pairing not usable whereas the differences between the other parts mentioned are close enough that you normally don't have to worry about it.

Bach small bores also all share the same receiver as one another and it seems like my Shires bell has mated with Bachs in the past.

As Bruce mentioned, the Conn 88 ecosystem is also compatible with one another.

The Yamaha medium bores (356G, 445, 446, 630, 640 - new, 645, and 646 at least) all share the same tenon as well. They also accept one anothers tuning slides, for what its worth.

Once you get into frankenhorn territory a lot of times you have to just want to be there. It often is not as good as just getting a cheaper instrument that is niche. But it is a lot of fun. I've been doing it for quite some time. You just have to watch out for slide length. If its too long it just won't work. Can't play with others if the horn is too flat. But you can usually pull out the tuning slide or use longer positions the other way around. If you buy a horn that was all from the same model... it will almost exclusively not have that problem. The only exception I can think of to that is the Bach 50A3 (Independent Hagmanns) which were just all built too long and I don't know if they've ever alleviated the Issue. I just saw someone not too long ago with the problem but I don't knwo the full context.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

"I own a Conn 70H with TIS and dual bore slide from the early 1930's" These horns were .547-.562" at best (for the dual bore horns) A big step away from the .562-578 basses that are being discussed.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask if a .547/.562 slide on a large bore tenor (8.5 inch bell) much like the wessex model mentioned can be used as your main trombone, or is this a specialty set-up for the 2nd trombonist in an orchestra or band section only?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

norbie2018 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:03 pm I'm resurrecting this thread to ask if a .547/.562 slide on a large bore tenor (8.5 inch bell) much like the wessex model mentioned can be used as your main trombone, or is this a specialty set-up for the 2nd trombonist in an orchestra or band section only?
It can be. Jay Friedman used a straight up bass slide for a lot of his career. I've been using an Edwards 562 slide for recording sessions on my tenor bell lately. Is it ideal? I'd say for some players it could be but chances are something smaller is probably going to be a better fit. Depends on who you are and how much playing you do. I think probably the majority of players - inclding anybody who is not a fully time trombonist which skews the sample of course - would be very well served with a medium bore to be honest. That isn't to say that they shouldn't play a large bore or something larger but the benefit of whatever volume or additional flexibility you get is going to require a lot more maintance. You get a lot more bank for your buck practice wise on something that takes a lot less air. At least I find that is a reasonable generalization, but take that for what it's worth - a generalization.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Jay uses that setup because he plays in Symphony Hall, which has famously dead acoustics. The trombone section has to really make a ton of sound to get to the back of the hall. To not sound ultra-bright at those volumes, Jay uses big equipment (balanced by his not-huge mouthpiece).

Do you play in Symphony Hall, or one like it, often? Then sure, use an LT50 slide.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I'm specifically referring to the dual bore slide mentioned as a full-time set up, not a 562 slide.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Of course! Someone mentioned it above, it was more in reply to that.

Personally (and of course on this board, not many agree) I think the .562/.578 bass has a viable use in a variety of settings.

The .547/.562 tenor seems a little more limited. I don't know many 2nd players that use that setup, and that seems like the most useful place for it.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

norbie2018 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:32 pm I'm specifically referring to the dual bore slide mentioned as a full-time set up, not a 562 slide.
I was using that as an extreme; afterall, if something large can work, certainly something in between the two can as well.
Burgerbob wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:27 pm Jay uses that setup because he plays in Symphony Hall, which has famously dead acoustics. The trombone section has to really make a ton of sound to get to the back of the hall. To not sound ultra-bright at those volumes, Jay uses big equipment (balanced by his not-huge mouthpiece).

Do you play in Symphony Hall, or one like it, often? Then sure, use an LT50 slide.
Right, I was using it as an example of someone who made it work; so there is a circumstance for which it is probably the ideal setup (wouldn't question Jay's judgement, afterall) but for a lot of players they are likely to be better served by not doing that.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I doubt that any of these setups will sound like a Euphonium (or even an American Baritone). They will sound a little more Euphonium-like than a small bore or even a symphonic trombone, but nobody listening to the two side by side would confuse the two.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:27 pm Jay uses that setup because he plays in Symphony Hall, which has famously dead acoustics. The trombone section has to really make a ton of sound to get to the back of the hall. To not sound ultra-bright at those volumes, Jay uses big equipment (balanced by his not-huge mouthpiece).

Jay may have used that equipment setup (to great success, of course), but did any other trombonists do anything similar to accommodate to Orchestra Hall in Chicago? [I've never been able to use a Schilke 51B mouthpiece with my trombone.]

The acoustics in Orchestra Hall have been notably problematic, and were apparently improved, but not enough, by a major remodel in 1995-1997.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_ ... al_history
and: https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertai ... story.html

I wonder if Jay, or other trombonists, have changed their equipment following the last renovation (which "dramatically enhanced" the orchestra's low end, including low brass)? When I played in Orchestra Hall many years ago (pre-1995), sitting in the trombone section in the last row, it was difficult to hear what was happening on the other side of the orchestra, so it was hard to balance. And when I heard the Chicago Symphony perform in a smaller hall a few years later, the trombone section was so loud they nearly drowned out the rest of the orchestra! (Of course I loved it. :wink: )
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

My bad! Orchestra Hall.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

There are a couple Holton and Olds bones that used dual bore slides. They are great for several things. I used the Holton tr156 with a big dual bore slide in a semipro orchestra with a powerful brass section. It did sound a little darker, but nowhere near a euphonium. The other effect as mentioned earlier is to allow you to play louder without getting edge in the sound.

You have to have strong chops and a real need to play loud to make it work. Those horns can also work in second and third parts where 3rd isn't a real bass.

I was tempted to add a plug in valve to the Wessex super tenor to use it for 80% of the tenor/bass playing I do. Sometimes you need a lighter tenor sound, though, so pull out that 3b. I never actually played that Wessex model, but I played things like it. I'm sure it's a really powerful horn. Whether it works for what you do or not depends on what you do, and your ability to restrain yourself.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I play duo bore slides. The way I blow they just work better. So my 547 horn is a 547/562 slide. My 500 bore is a 500/508 and my alto is a duo bore too.

I sound like a regular trombone.

I do want to get a 525/547 slide in nickel for my Edwards but it is going to take some effort to find one.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

whitbey wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:26 pm
I do want to get a 525/547 slide in nickel for my Edwards but it is going to take some effort to find one.
Check the site on their website. They had one available at a reduced cost not too long ago.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

2bobone wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:51 pm The sound of a straight bore is comparatively fat, loose,dumpy and unfocused when compared to the lean, solid, chunky and focused characteristics of a dual bore.
I am a bit confused... Isn't the sound of a single bore horn supposed to be more focused to that of a dual bore horn, all other things being equal?

That said, I also want to try a .547"-.562" slide on my bass. Sadly Yamaha don't make it.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

sirisobhakya wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:02 pm
2bobone wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:51 pm The sound of a straight bore is comparatively fat, loose,dumpy and unfocused when compared to the lean, solid, chunky and focused characteristics of a dual bore.
I am a bit confused... Isn't the sound of a single bore horn supposed to be more focused to that of a dual bore horn, all other things being equal?

That said, I also want to try a .547"-.562" slide on my bass. Sadly Yamaha don't make it.
Depends on what direction you go, what mouthpiece/leadpipe is in it, what bell section it is attached to etc. etc. I have a 525/547 slide that with a large shank leadpipe gives me basically all the advantages I'd get with a larger slide but with a much more focused sound on the bell section I have paired with it. Also lets me use a slightly larger shank taper (currently using an XT E/E8 on it... wanting to get my hands on an E9 soon too...). When I play the larger slides on that bell, I was using a comparatively tight small shank (Shires 6.5AL threaded for 104N rims which literally has a small shank backbore ("L" designation).
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

sirisobhakya wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:02 pm I am a bit confused... Isn't the sound of a single bore horn supposed to be more focused to that of a dual bore horn, all other things being equal?

Yeah, most people think making the bottom slide one size larger gives you a darker sound. But you can also make the top slide one size smaller, which would tend to focus the sound a little more. So it depends on what the dual is compared against. Don't get too caught up in the differences between words (dark/focused). There are ways to parse the effects of bore bell/throat size into narrower terms, but I think here we're talking more in general.

There was a thread not too long ago about my adventure into 547/562 bass territory called "Small Bass" I think. In the end, I my Kanstul 1662i (straight 562) just has a very superior sound to an Olds Super S-20 547/562, that I only take out the Olds when I want to conserve air, but the other musicians are possibly less discriminating. Of course the answer to that is to get a custom 547/562 slide made for the Kanstul, which I priced out at one point, and it was about $1800. Not sure if that's even possible any more, with the Kanstul situation.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It would be a stock order for Shires or Edwards, which would be the direction I would take if I wanted something custom for a Yamaha. (Incidentally, Yamaha does do custom work but it isn't cheap; Noah Gladstone actually had a 547 convertible Yamaha tenor with straight, single rotor, and F valve and 2 slides (one dual bore) maybe a year ago that was done 100% by Yamaha). You'd "just" have to get the slide tenon from Yamaha which may be easy depending on the model you are talking about... probably acquire that part first before doing anythign else to be honest. That said... I know some of the Yamaha basses have Bach 50 slide receivers... or similar enough that it works; so a stock Edwards slide might work out of the box. The length also should be the same too. At least all the Yamaha basses Iv'e had seemed to be nearly identical length wise to my Shires equipment.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I do want to get a 525/547 slide in nickel for my Edwards.
Edwards has a brass tube slide.
I have a guy that can assemble the slide but he does not have the tooling for drawing the tubes.
So, I am on the hunt for nickel tubes.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

whitbey wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:30 pm I do want to get a 525/547 slide in nickel for my Edwards.
Edwards has a brass tube slide.
I have a guy that can assemble the slide but he does not have the tooling for drawing the tubes.
So, I am on the hunt for nickel tubes.
Your best bet might be Shires and just swap out the tenon. The slide you'd be looking for is a T2547LWN (lightweight = no oversleeves, n = nickel; no crook option defaults to nickel by default). They routinely make both T25NLW and T47NLW - or at least I've seen them in stock so they have the capability... not sure what their wait times are but otherwise I believe it would even be a stock order.

That said... your tech doesn't have to draw the tubes either. You can get nickel slide parts. Not recalling if Conn 88 slides have a nickel option but the Bach 36 and 42 definitely do (it's the "LW" option) so you could possibly get a 36LW upper and a 42LW lower inner/outer. But Bach parts are expensive so you're halfway to getting a Shires slide if not further.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Oh actually, it looks like someone was right. There is an all nickel 525/547 for sale at Edwards now but it does have oversleeves:

http://store.edwards-instruments.com/pr ... bone-slide
Gatt

Post by Gatt »

Do Shires make a 547/562 slide?...........

I know Edwards do but I haven't seen a listing for a Shires 547/562 slide.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Gatt wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:04 pm Do Shires make a 547/562 slide?...........

Yes, both Shires and Edwards make a 547/562 slide. The reason I didn't know off the top of my head if they did a 525/547 is that technically the Edwards medium and large bores are different models - nominally the T327 and T350 respectively (a throwback to engine sizes, interestingly enough). However, both manufactureres share tenons from their medium bores through their basses. So you can technically get a Shires with a 508/525 slide that will fit on a thayer bass. It doesn't work particularly well but you *can* do it. (Don't ask me how I know how that combination plays :shuffle: )

So on point, the 547/562 slides both both companies are "meant" for their 547 bell sections but will fit on their basses as well. You would order a TB4762 (Tenor + Bass Crook, 47 upper, 62 lower) as the stock option from Shires. The slide from Edwards are all variants of the 'TDB' slide.
Gatt

Post by Gatt »

Thanks Matt.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Ihave a number of dualies but it's hard for me to generalize their sound differences. Each slide seems to behave a little differently, and that shows up most in a section. I can say for sure that my 16s work much better than my 16M or 16M slide on an old bell. 16M seems okay in the practice room, but in section it's a buried woofing bear.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Matt K wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:12 pm
Gatt wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:04 pm Do Shires make a 547/562 slide?...........

Yes, both Shires and Edwards make a 547/562 slide. The reason I didn't know off the top of my head if they did a 525/547 is that technically the Edwards medium and large bores are different models - nominally the T327 and T350 respectively (a throwback to engine sizes, interestingly enough). However, both manufactureres share tenons from their medium bores through their basses. So you can technically get a Shires with a 508/525 slide that will fit on a thayer bass. It doesn't work particularly well but you *can* do it. (Don't ask me how I know how that combination plays :shuffle: )

So on point, the 547/562 slides both both companies are "meant" for their 547 bell sections but will fit on their basses as well. You would order a TB4762 (Tenor + Bass Crook, 47 upper, 62 lower) as the stock option from Shires. The slide from Edwards are all variants of the 'TDB' slide.
It may have been said already, but Ben Van Dijk uses a 47-62 slide on bass, and at for him it seems to be a solid choice.
Last edited by LIBrassCo on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Dijk!

I think his model comes with several options; someone here has one that I want to say is a single bore. It wouldn't surprise me if he had multiple slides available though.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Matt K wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:54 am Dijk!

I think his model comes with several options; someone here has one that I want to say is a single bore. It wouldn't surprise me if he had multiple slides available though.
Corrected.

Interesting. I always wanted to try one, i like the idea of it.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
BrassedOn

Post by BrassedOn »

I’ll go ahead and jump on the bandwagon, per se, in the camp that
any dual bore will never make a slide euphonium. But that doesn’t mean you can’t produce a luscious vibrant sonorous sound on the trombone. And the trombone will be more in tune in the right hands. As a recovering euphoniumist, I think that’s fair to say.

I play a dual bore bass trombone Getzen 1063 rose brass. Which I believe is 562"/.578" dual bore. No mistaking for conical. But I can blend with the tenors and play into the high range easily. For me, this horn was the one available and I budget at the time, but has worked well in a lot of settings. My experience is that the dual bore works about the same as single bone. Maybe when switching from a smaller horn a sense of security, but I think I feel secure on whatever I play regularly.

FWIW, My alto is a dual bore, and that can get a flugel like tone.

So if it takes a dual bore tenor to get what you want, go for it. Probably the caution is that you might have a niche horn that’s not bassy enough if you’re playing a low part. A parallel. Some people might say similarly for the Bach 36 .525 that can’t get the big orchestral tenor and not nimble enough for some commercial setting, but I’d disagree to the extent that it has a lot of applications.
"Do less, better."
1971 King 3B Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision Bass
2016 Strunal double bass
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Analogy.
Single to duobore is tighter then trumpet to cornet. No flugelhorn or euph in sight.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Instruments”