Valve Trombone Acceptance

Davidus1

Valve Trombone Acceptance

Post by Davidus1 »

What are your thoughts about the Valve trombone? I personally love to listen to a great valve trombone player. Loved the Russ Garcia recordings with Maynard on Valve Bone, Bob Brookmeyer, Rob McConnell and Boss Brass, Rich Matteson (Euph mostly). It seems that there are many people that don't like the valve bone much. What about you?
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
BGuttman

Re: Valve Trombone Acceptance

Post by BGuttman »

Valve trombones were essentially wiped from the Orchestral scene about 100 years ago. Only F and Gb valves are used.

For Jazz, anything goes. Slide trombones seem the most popular, but there have been great valve trombone players over the years. Juan Tizol was one.

I think thpe main reason valve trombone is not used much is that most of them have NO provision for modifying the intonation. Trumpets have saddles and triggers for the valve slides, but generally not valve trombones. This limits their ability to achieve the intonation inflection that is so common.

Valve trombones do allow for great rapidity and would be de rigeur for Be-Bop solos that are streams of notes. That's where the main value is as I see it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

There are plenty of examples out there of valve trombone playing that should legitimize the instrument in anyone's eyes in my opinion. Juan Tizol's playing in the Ellington orchestra (as Bruce mentioned), for example. My personal favorite is this video from the Royal Concertgebouw trombones' Facebook page, which makes me sad that people don't use valve trombones on Italian opera repertoire actually written for them more often.

I think there are a few undeserved issues with the valve trombone that cause people to dislike it:

1) People think that it should sound exactly like a slide trombone. To me, the fact that it doesn't is what makes it legitimate. In the right hands it has a unique voice that is underutilized. At least one of Lou Dowdeswell's big band videos has one of the slide trombonists playing valve trombone for some solo passages. You couldn't get the same effect if he had just played it on his normal trombone. Played sweetly, it sounds like a flugelhorn down an octave.

2) Compared to slide trombone it's pretty ungainly to hold, but so are double-valve bass trombones and nobody has any problem with those. Since we can accept it sounds different from slide trombone, I don't think it needs to look like one either, and for this reason I think the valve trombone's compact brother, the marching trombone/flugabone, is a better design. They sound essentially the same but are much more comfortable to hold, not to mention being ultra compact. My flugabone is one of my favorite instruments to pull out and play.

3) Because of the valve trombone's disuse in professional settings (excluding the jazz soloists already mentioned in the OP), there are few valve trombones on the market (new or used, really) and most of them are student models. If the first valve trombone you try is a student model or marching instrument, you probably won't be super impressed. In my experience these kinds of instruments are extraordinarily mouthpiece sensitive. I tried a shallow mouthpiece in my flugabone when I first got it and it had an awful blat when you played anywhere above mezzo-forte, which I feel like is a sound often associated with all valve trombones. But I put in a deeper, V-cup tenor mouthpiece and it sings, and using a small shank ultra-deep euphonium mouthpiece sounds really nice too. I feel like a really nice, purpose-built performance instrument wouldn't have these issues and would be a real pleasure to play, especially if it was a larger bore than the tiny .481"-.485" that a lot of them are. If it wasn't hideously overpriced (looking at you, $3,500 Bach V16) I bet quite a few jazz trombonists and euphonium players would be interested in one. As is it's certainly a different sound than the piston bass trumpets some jazz trombonists double on.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:41 pm Valve trombones were essentially wiped from the Orchestral scene about 100 years ago. Only F and Gb valves are used.

For Jazz, anything goes. Slide trombones seem the most popular, but there have been great valve trombone players over the years. Juan Tizol was one.

I think thpe main reason valve trombone is not used much is that most of them have NO provision for modifying the intonation. Trumpets have saddles and triggers for the valve slides, but generally not valve trombones. This limits their ability to achieve the intonation inflection that is so common.

Valve trombones do allow for great rapidity and would be de rigeur for Be-Bop solos that are streams of notes. That's where the main value is as I see it.
I should have clarified that I was more interested in uses for jazz which you covered with your post. You are correct about not having a provision for intonation. I'm sure getting a slide kicker put on a horn isn't necessarily cheap to have done but is almost a necessity. Thanks for the info!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Finetales wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:00 pm There are plenty of examples out there of valve trombone playing that should legitimize the instrument in anyone's eyes in my opinion. Juan Tizol's playing in the Ellington orchestra (as Bruce mentioned), for example. My personal favorite is this video from the Royal Concertgebouw trombones' Facebook page, which makes me sad that people don't use valve trombones on Italian opera repertoire actually written for them more often.

I think there are a few undeserved issues with the valve trombone that cause people to dislike it:

1) People think that it should sound exactly like a slide trombone. To me, the fact that it doesn't is what makes it legitimate. In the right hands it has a unique voice that is underutilized. At least one of Lou Dowdeswell's big band videos has one of the slide trombonists playing valve trombone for some solo passages. You couldn't get the same effect if he had just played it on his normal trombone. Played sweetly, it sounds like a flugelhorn down an octave.

2) Compared to slide trombone it's pretty ungainly to hold, but so are double-valve bass trombones and nobody has any problem with those. Since we can accept it sounds different from slide trombone, I don't think it needs to look like one either, and for this reason I think the valve trombone's compact brother, the marching trombone/flugabone, is a better design. They sound essentially the same but are much more comfortable to hold, not to mention being ultra compact. My flugabone is one of my favorite instruments to pull out and play.

3) Because of the valve trombone's disuse in professional settings (excluding the jazz soloists already mentioned in the OP), there are few valve trombones on the market (new or used, really) and most of them are student models. If the first valve trombone you try is a student model or marching instrument, you probably won't be super impressed. In my experience these kinds of instruments are extraordinarily mouthpiece sensitive. I tried a shallow mouthpiece in my flugabone when I first got it and it had an awful blat when you played anywhere above mezzo-forte, which I feel like is a sound often associated with all valve trombones. But I put in a deeper, V-cup tenor mouthpiece and it sings, and using a small shank ultra-deep euphonium mouthpiece sounds really nice too. I feel like a really nice, purpose-built performance instrument wouldn't have these issues and would be a real pleasure to play, especially if it was a larger bore than the tiny .481"-.485" that a lot of them are. If it wasn't hideously overpriced (looking at you, $3,500 Bach V16) I bet quite a few jazz trombonists and euphonium players would be interested in one. As is it's certainly a different sound than the piston bass trumpets some jazz trombonists double on.
Completely agree with you about the different sound! Definitely different and I too like that about the valve bone. I wish King still made the Flugabone. I liked that instrument. Haven't played one in quite some time though. The offerings for valve trombones are lacking as you mention. Bach is most definitely highly overpriced. I wouldn't even consider paying for one for what they are asking! Thanks for the post and the information!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

The King 3b is an acceptable valve trombone by me 😊

I think I bought mine 30 years ago I bought it with an extra slide and used this as my main instrument while I was working as a music teacher on all brass.

The idea was I could use the valves when I had the trumpet students so they could be helped with fingering. After a while I began to carry a trumpet because they also needed to hear the right sound not to be confused.

The King 3b valve trombone I used was good though. I used it in a big band on third just to practice but the others asked me to use the slide instead. The valve section is banned from brass bands and symphony orchestras today. It had its place in the millitare windorchestra here next to trombones at one time, but the trombone-like instrument wanted back then was called "basun" and the parts they played was called Tenor. There could be two tenor parts (I-II) and three trombones in a Swedish Windorchestra and it was the Swedish "Ahlberg-Ohlsson" basun sound that was expected, and that is not the same sound as a modern valve-trombone.

I think the modern valve-trombone is rare today. I heard one with the "Bohuslän Big Band" 5-6 years ago when they played a Duke Ellington concert. One of the players used it for "Caravan".

The Swedish "basun" is heard in historical music only. There is a sextett-setting that still exists and is asked for at garden partys or other occasions where live background music is suitable with Eb-cornet, Bb-cornet, tenor horn in Eb, basun I-II, tuba and drums. It is seven musicians but it is called a sextett anyway. There are numrous (old from 17th century) to this date popular songs transposed for this setting and I guess thats why there are a few players who own and play them.

I own a basun from 1901 that belonged to my grandfather who was a musician. I play it sometimes for sentimental reasons. I play the same songs he used to play when I was young. I still remember the sound and the beautiful lip vibrato he had. I try to play the instrument just as he did. Unfortunately I only remember a few of the songs.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I bought a valve bone 40 years ago. I leaned valve fingerings better. I learned there was no way to get it in tune. And therefor also learned what the woodshed was for. A trumpet player made an offer for it and I leaned that was a good thing.

Later I developed neurological trouble and lost my fast tongue. So a few years ago after a divorce that allowed me to buy all the horns I wanted I took an older F attachment and had it reworked into a small bore jazz horn as a first valve. That is Ab by the way. With a first valve one can play quite fast. Use a slide with alternate positions and the sky is the limit. Also hardly anyone even notices the valve. It looks like an Edwards trombone.

I play an F scale fast with these fingerings. F in 1st, G in T-2nd, A in 2nd, Bb in T-3, C in 3, D in T-2, E in 2 and F a short T-2 then back down. Or slide from E to F in 1st if that is where you are going to land. The valve does the fast articulations and you just blow thought the horn. This kind of alternate position and valve can do most anything you can do with a 3 valve horn plus be a regular slide horn in tune.

Pictures of this horn are in my profile.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Slide trombone and valve trombone are different instruments, they sound different, but sometimes there have been valve players doing good jobs in trombones sections. Bob Brookmeyer used a valve trombone with triggers on the valve slides for many years. Well the valve trombone wasn´t really wiped out hundred years ago in symphony orchestras everywhere. In Scandinavia the valve trombone was used in many orchestras, and today the valve trombone is used in the Royal Opera Hous in Stockholm when operas written by Verdi and other composers from that era. That makes the Italian operas from that age sound very much better in my ears. The valve trombone really has a voice of its own.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

I've seen valve trombones used regularly in Italian community bands. So just move there... :)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

sf105 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:34 pm I've seen valve trombones used regularly in Italian community bands. So just move there... :)
Also in Portuguese and Mexican bands.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

The valve trombonists in Mexican banda are insane (in a good way), as are the rest of the musicians. It's a really remarkable style of music.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Finetales wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:55 pm The valve trombonists in Mexican banda are insane (in a good way), as are the rest of the musicians. It's a really remarkable style of music.
Agreed! If I’m in a down mood, I can listen to some banda music, which helps brighten the day. I’m often amazed at how tight these bands sound.
Finetales wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:00 pm My personal favorite is this video from the Royal Concertgebouw trombones' Facebook page, which makes me sad that people don't use valve trombones on Italian opera repertoire actually written for them more often.
What a testament to the valve trombone in orchestral music!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Interestingly, it is relatively frequent to hear Italian opera on valve trombones (not widespread but still, occasionally), but how often do we hear them on Bruckner? I think it's telling about how we still perceive valve trombones that orchestral players will use them for stuff that is seen as "lighter" music, but be much more reluctant to consider using them on the big serious germanic symphonic stuff.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Yes that is correct. Lots of European music was written with the valve trombone in mind. The trombone was hold back in favor of the valved bone. It is less the 200 years ago, thanks to Anton Hansen, that the trombone started to come back in Sweden.
Ndwood

Post by Ndwood »

I think part of the difference regarding performance of Bruckner is that it’s not that uncommon for the trombonists in German and Austrian orchestras to perform on traditional instruments either from the time period or fairly similarly proportioned, and valve trombones in Germany, Austria, and Bohemia were built to similar proportions as slide trombones (right?). Valves can change the way way a horn plays but there are also a lot of other factors that are at least as important. One way I look at it is that for the most part valve trombones just stopped evolving after they fell out of fashion. Most have a bore of .500” or below because most slide trombones did as well.

But I also am curious about what causes a valved note to play different than an open note. I just picked up a Bohland & Fuchs bass trombone that I guess is from between 1904-1918. The open horn plays pretty well but the difference between open and valved notes is really audible and gets worse (of course) as you add valves; it’s already noticable with the first valve but 2+3 is pretty bad. Why do other valved instruments not suffer from this problem but the trombone does and are there ways to mitigate it? I’ve never had a chance to play one but everyone’s told me the Conn 90G doesn’t suffer frok these issues and sounds basically like the 8H it’s built around - why does it not have the same issues other valve trombones do?
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I wasn’t aware that there was a tradition of playing valve trombone in German classical music, esp. around the time of Bruckner. I suppose I’d assumed that bands used valve trombones for the most part, whereas orchestras used slide trombones.
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Germany had mostly slide trombones as far as I know, but there were several decades after the invention of the valve where the valve trombone was the standard in much of Austria and Bohemia. The Vienna Court Opera (now State Opera) had valve trombones starting in the 1830's, and when they eventually switched back to slide trombones in 1883, they had trouble finding trombonists who were able to or willing to learn to play with a slide. Howard Weiner spoke of that a few times in the old forum and in publications. Also articles by Ken Shifrin IIRC. There was also a fairly thorough article in the HBSJ of last year on the subject specifically of Bruckner and valve trombones.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I would imagine that playing a King 3B valve trombone on Bruckner is no more historically correct soundwise (compared to a Romantic-era German valve trombone) than playing it on a King 3B slide trombone.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

imsevimse wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:25 am The King 3b is an acceptable valve trombone by me 😊

I think I bought mine 30 years ago I bought it with an extra slide and used this as my main instrument while I was working as a music teacher on all brass.

The idea was I could use the valves when I had the trumpet students so they could be helped with fingering. After a while I began to carry a trumpet because they also needed to hear the right sound not to be confused.

The King 3b valve trombone I used was good though. I used it in a big band on third just to practice but the others asked me to use the slide instead. The valve section is banned from brass bands and symphony orchestras today. It had its place in the millitare windorchestra here next to trombones at one time, but the trombone-like instrument wanted back then was called "basun" and the parts they played was called Tenor. There could be two tenor parts (I-II) and three trombones in a Swedish Windorchestra and it was the Swedish "Ahlberg-Ohlsson" basun sound that was expected, and that is not the same sound as a modern valve-trombone.

I think the modern valve-trombone is rare today. I heard one with the "Bohuslän Big Band" 5-6 years ago when they played a Duke Ellington concert. One of the players used it for "Caravan".

The Swedish "basun" is heard in historical music only. There is a sextett-setting that still exists and is asked for at garden partys or other occasions where live background music is suitable with Eb-cornet, Bb-cornet, tenor horn in Eb, basun I-II, tuba and drums. It is seven musicians but it is called a sextett anyway. There are numrous (old from 17th century) to this date popular songs transposed for this setting and I guess thats why there are a few players who own and play them.

I own a basun from 1901 that belonged to my grandfather who was a musician. I play it sometimes for sentimental reasons. I play the same songs he used to play when I was young. I still remember the sound and the beautiful lip vibrato he had. I try to play the instrument just as he did. Unfortunately I only remember a few of the songs.

/Tom
Thanks for the post. I bought a Getzen Valve bone with the slide back when I was in the Army Band. I found the Getzen to be too stuffy. I would like to play a King Valve Bone.....never tried one. Thanks for the post.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

sf105 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:34 pm I've seen valve trombones used regularly in Italian community bands. So just move there... :)
I'll pass on that. :biggrin:
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Just out of curiosity, has anyone compared a piston valve to a rotary valve trombone? If so, how did they compare? I know that Červény and Mirafone and others still make rotary valve trombones in 3 and 4 valve configurations.

Tom, is a rotary valve trombone similar to the old basun?
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Kbiggs wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:58 pm Just out of curiosity, has anyone compared a piston valve to a rotary valve trombone? If so, how did they compare? I know that Červény and Mirafone and others still make rotary valve trombones in 3 and 4 valve configurations.

Tom, is a rotary valve trombone similar to the old basun?
A piston trombone like the King 3b compared to a rotary valve trombone such as the Swedish "ventil-basun" are very different (read more for comparison) When it comes to a German rotary valve I think it looks more or less the same as an Swedish basun, but not absolutely sure since I don't know much of Miraphone and other brands, but if I compare a King 3b valve trombone to the Swedish made ventilbasun by Ahlberg & Ohlsson there are big differences.

The King 3b valve trombone is .481 with an 8" bell. Plays modern and (what I think) could blend with a trombone section in a big band in the right hands. It can be played both soft and loud. Both mellow and edgy. The big problem is the intonation. It is not as open as a valve-less . 481 horn and gets a little more harsh when pushed.

The Swedish Ahlberg Ohlsson "ventil basun" is soft. It can't be pushed that much so a modern big band forte will not work. To describe it's sound is difficult because there is no equivalent sound to point at but I think wide, soft, mellow and lyrical covers most of it. It is also often played with a constant vibrato. The same function as an euphonium, but not at all that full body of sound that can be deep and dominant. The basun is much more lyrical. The one I got from my grandfather from 1901 has a wide bell about 9". I have another one from about 1920 with a small bell that was called the solo model. For fingerings the 1st valve lowers a whole step. 2nd lowers one half step and the 3rd (look out!!!) lowers two whole steps. This gives a different fingering chart. I think it is the same on German instruments. Compared to a modern American valve trombone the 3rd valve lowers one and a half step.

The Swedish Ahlberg & Ohlsson company existed 1850-1959. Back in the old days the name basun could be used for both valve- and slide trombones as they were called "ventil-basun" and "drag-basun". My grandfather never used the word trombone. To him any trombone was called basun. Today most use the word basun as short for "ventil basun" and it is very rare to hear the word "drag basun". The latter is just called a trombone by all.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Davidus1 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:34 pm
Thanks for the post. I bought a Getzen Valve bone with the slide back when I was in the Army Band. I found the Getzen to be too stuffy. I would like to play a King Valve Bone.....never tried one. Thanks for the post.
I have the Getzen valve and slide combination. I didn't find the valve side stuffy, I just found it impossible to hold. Maybe there's a way but I couldn't figure it out, got carpal tunnel symptoms in about ten minutes.

I looked for a way to use Ken's cantilever support, but the tubing at the balance point was so thin I was afraid to try attaching it.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I think you are supposed to hold a valve trombone much the way you would hold a trumpet. Both hands on the valve cluster. Elbows out.

If you try to hold it like a slide trombone you will be very uncomfortable since the valve section makes the instrument "nose heavy" relative to the bell brace.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Very interesting! Thanks, Tom!
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

timothy42b wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:14 am
Davidus1 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:34 pm
I have the Getzen valve and slide combination. I didn't find the valve side stuffy, I just found it impossible to hold. Maybe there's a way but I couldn't figure it out, got carpal tunnel symptoms in about ten minutes.

I looked for a way to use Ken's cantilever support, but the tubing at the balance point was so thin I was afraid to try attaching it.
You may be right about it not being stuffy. My approach back then was different to playing. I was a tuba and bass bone player and tended to pick up the valve bone and play it the same. That obviously is not a recipe for success. I've since changed my approach to bone vs tuba/bass bone and have improved. I agree with you. It was difficult to hold!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Most recent jazz player I've heard is Kiku Collins with a valve bone. She often doubles on trumpet / v-bone on her various CDs. One is "Here With Me". She has a real nice sound because she has mastered the horn as opposed to a person wanting an easy way to mimic a t-bone without learning the slide and techniques required. Her partner is an awesome t-bone player, David Gibson.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Not familiar with her. I'll check it out. Thanks for the post.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
BrassedOn

Post by BrassedOn »

Of all, I think Bob Brookmeyer really laid it out there for valve trombonists.
He set the bar with Gerry Mulligan quartet. I think he played Conn valve trombone.

I need to get this Zoot Sims recording, a chorus at 3:20.
And here at around 25:00 he kind a drifts from trumpetish phrasing to saxish phrasing.

Rob McConnell was totally on it. Here's a taste at 1:30

Raul de Souza is new to me. Maybe no problem with vbone!

The Getzen vb blew small for me. Rich Matteson had a custom Getzen, but I don't know if that was produced.
I think the 3B valve bone was best I've played.

I now have a Blessing marching trombone, which is basically a tightly wrapped valve bone. 8 inch bell Fits all my standard mutes unlike a few brands that have a larger bell on their marching brass. Took FOREVER to break in the valves but responds a bit more like my trombones. But yes could use a slide trigger.

There is always bass trumpet. Not for bone section, but could be fun in a combo. I've played a nice Bach bass trumpet but seemed a lot of resistance.
"Do less, better."
1971 King 3B Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision Bass
2016 Strunal double bass
King2bPlus

Post by King2bPlus »

Mike Fahn is probably the best of the current valve trombonists. Plays the slide bone too. Has at least 2 CD's where he's the leader. Close Your Eyes.....and Listen(2002) and East and West(2006). Played w/Matt Catingub and Dick Berk (and others I'm sure) on the west coast. Been in NY for a long time now. Definitely worth a listen. Plays a Conn...think he's got 2 Conn valve bones.
Ken Jackson
King 2b+, King 3b
Elliott LT 104N, C, C2
Elliott LT 104N, C+, D2
MusicParkRidge

Post by MusicParkRidge »

Concerning the difficulty and balance of holding a valve trombone: I hold my left hand in the same place I would when holding a slide trombone, just next to my left cheek, near the connector, thumb around the bell brace. This balances the front and back quite well. (The valves still make it a bit front-heavy.) Then the right hand is out in front at the valves, helping support the additional front weight. I find this balanced quite well, but it doesn't have side-by-side hands like a trumpet. (Nobody's ever told me that it looks funny, the way I hold it.)
Also, having the LH in my usual place keeps me from accidentally bashing in my teeth, forgetting that I'm not playing my normal slide horn. Just a thought.
Question for you all: are all valve trombones stuffy and hard to "slot the partials" as compared to a slide? Or is it just the cheapo model that I bought? I don't have any place to try other makes/models for comparison. I certainly don't want to buy another (Getzen/Holton/King/Bach) on eBay, simply to find out. Thank you for your replies! Rock on. -John S.
PS - I've played slide trombones my entire life, and the idea of simply moving a couple of fingers instead of my entire arm...I like being lazy! Kinda nice.
BrassedOn

Post by BrassedOn »

For jazz toe playing, I think the fact that there has been little in innovation in the valve bone is one of the big issues. There are a couple makes for custom flugabone/marching valve bone type instruments or rehabbing older Olds and Kings of that ilk. But otherwise, without something custom, not much new like…
    Improved intonation
      Improved balance
        Tuning mech for 1st and 3rd
          Bore size choices beyond .490 .500, tho I liked my Blessing/Olds marching valve bone at .508
            improved projection. Not as loud as a slide, not even as a marching baritone or euphonium.
              Improved blow. Because of the design, wrap, tight bends, the stuffiness of the flugabone/marching valve bone, and even traditional valve bone, compared to slide, detracted from the high and low ends of the instrument. Even a great like Brookmeyer on traditional valve bone does not use much of high and low end of what a comparable slide player might use these days. So this needs to be addressed.
                Jazz is dead. Okay, not really, but not the presence (national stage, Grammys, radio play, TV, film soundtrack or feature) it has had if the past.
                  widened range of genre, beyond some jazz, banda, maybe salsa, and other rarer uses.

Of course there are individual horn and player exceptions, but few.

It also doesn’t help that there is lack of a “star” player dedicated to valves. There are awesome players out there, certainly, but at least in the US, there doesn’t seem to be room for more than a couple national level jazz trombone stars on slide Brookmeyer stepped into the Chet Baker chair easily with Mulligan’s quartet, was an excellent pianist, and a composer and arranger. Who’s your favorite these days that could attain that stature?

I had a Getzen valve bone, nice playing smallish bore, with fast top spring valves like a trumpet.
                  3B valve was the best, similar enough to my slide, a Conn was just okay (I think Conn was Brookmeyers choice)
                  Blessing marching valve trombone like Flugabone saw the most action by far, compact easy to bring to a jazz gig along with slide 3B, great flugal like tone for ballads and good enough valve action but not that fluid.
                  "Do less, better."
                  1971 King 3B Silver Sonic
                  1976 Fender Precision Bass
                  2016 Strunal double bass
                  dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve had the chance over the last couple years of playing with and getting know Trombonist Francois De Lima. Francois is from Brasil and comes to Sarasota, Fl to visit family. He`s a brilliant trombonist that happens to play a 3B Valve trombone.

Barry Mosley is a Valve trombonist on the West Coast. Brookmeyer-ish in his playing. Barry had befriended Brookmeyer and was given one of Bob`s John Coffee mouthpieces He had it reproduced and let me tell you. It made my 2B valve open up and play like a completely different instrument

And the Great Andy Hunter from the WDR Big Band
                  whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Intonation is the big issue for me. I had a valve horn decades ago. I could not lip it far enough to get it in tune. I noticed euph players that had compensating valves play the low B in tune but high F and so on were always bad. Seemed like all the section was the same amount out of tune. I put a lever on my euph.

I think smaller bore horns might be easier to get in tune.

Can you play F in the staff and a high F in tune with a slide trombone without moving the slide and using a tuner? You might be ok. I can't, so I don't.

I used to see the Conn Trombonium. I sometime wonder about getting one and putting a lever on it for when you get into tight spots. But I only wonder as I am over it pretty quick.
                  Cerveny oval euphonium
                  Full list in profile
                  s11141827

Post by s11141827 »

Valve Trombones can be used in marching band Image & they can be wrapped up in the shape of a Flugelhorn hence the name "Flugabone" like this Kanstul. Juan Tizol was known for playing the Valve Trombone w/ the Duke Ellington Jazz Orchestra. Interestingly enough, a friend of mine on YouTube cleverly fixed the intonation problem by making Spring Loaded Triggers for the 1st & 3rd Valve Slides so that the Musician can get those notes to be in tune: Valve Trombones should be used more often these days.
                  Last edited by s11141827 on Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
                  Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

s11141827 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:37 am Valve Trombones are commonly used in Marching Band ...
                  Enough of these useless AI / troll postings, please.
                  officermayo

Post by officermayo »

I don't care much for the stuffy sound I hear from most valve bones. If I were to use one, my choice would be the Superbone used by James Morrison.
                  "When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
                  brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

officermayo wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:10 pm I don't care much for the stuffy sound I hear from most valve bones. If I were to use one, my choice would be the Superbone used by James Morrison.
                  I think I got tendonitis just looking at that. :horror:
                  Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
                  Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

brassmedic wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:27 pm
                  officermayo wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:10 pm I don't care much for the stuffy sound I hear from most valve bones. If I were to use one, my choice would be the Superbone used by James Morrison.
                  Gotta work on your flexibility, Brad!
                  harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Davidus1 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:40 pm What about you?
                  I do not accept the existence of valve trombones.
                  CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Yeah, but you get to spend about $10,000 to get that tendinitis!

JS
                  Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:17 pm
                  brassmedic wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:27 pm I think I got tendonitis just looking at that. :horror:
                  JS
                  If it allowed me to play like James Morrison, I might be tempted to invest the 10 grand and risk the tendinitis! :idk:
                  CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Good point!

JS
                  brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:17 pm

JS
                  That's $1000 per tendon.
                  Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
                  Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

brassmedic wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:09 am
                  CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:17 pm Yeah, but you get to spend about $10,000 to get that tendinitis!
                  JS
                  That's $1000 per tendon.
                  Or perhaps $1,000 per don if there are ten dons?

(Sorry!)
                  officermayo

Post by officermayo »

They're $6k.
                  "When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
                  CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

OK - that's almost $10K CDN.

JS
                  s11141827

Post by s11141827 »

How about this little guy? The Rarely heard before Soprano Valve Trombone.
                  Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

s11141827 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:54 pm How about this little guy? The Rarely heard before Soprano Valve Trombone.
                  Please go away!
                  whitbey

Post by whitbey »

As I did on my euph, make a main tuning slide that moves so the whole of the horn can be tuned.
                  Or as I did on my jazz horn, one valve that is in Ab or the same as the first valve. The slide is the main thing.
                  Always seems difficult intonation with a valve bone.
                  Cerveny oval euphonium
                  Full list in profile

Return to “Instruments”