Clip On Mics For Dummies

tbone96

Clip On Mics For Dummies

Post by tbone96 »

Hey all! I know next to nothing about audio equipment, but I'm finding myself in need of a mic for a rock band type setting. Think like Trombone Shorty or Big Sam. I need to be able to move, so a clip on mic is a must, and some sort of wireless setup is definitely preferred if possible. I also need to be able to switch it from one instrument to another fairly quickly. I'm really not looking to spend more than $350ish. I've been looking at the PGA98H and WB98HC from Shure, e 908 and e 608 from Sennheiser, and the Pro 35 and and ATM350UL from audio technica. Problem is I don't really understand the differences between these mics and how they differ in sound. Are there any other mics I should be considering? I'd appreciate it if instead of saying which one is best, someone could actually explain some of the differences between these mics, and why some features are preferable to others because I'm trying to educate myself on the topic. As always, thank you in advance for your help!
Geordie

Re: Clip On Mics For Dummies

Post by Geordie »

The feature I appreciate most on my Shure set up is that the receiver automatically finds and indicates the strongest free signal and it’s easy to set the transmitter to match it.
If you want to move the mic between instruments during a show you might think about a mic with built in transmitter to avoid tangling up the connector between mic and belt pack. Not cheap.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
tbone96

Post by tbone96 »

Geordie wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:30 pm If you want to move the mic between instruments during a show you might think about a mic with built in transmitter to avoid tangling up the connector between mic and belt pack. Not cheap.
Do you know of any clip on mics off the top of your head that have a built in transmitter?
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... phone.html
Belt pack free seems to be the description ....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

The AMT stuff is top-notch. My sax player uses one and I borrowed his unit. It adds a bit of weight with the transmitter to the front of the bell so a counterbalance may be necessary. I'm getting one when funds allow to lose the beltpack wireless I currently have strapped to the back of my horn.

Also keep in mind that come the end of the year, all wireless systems have to sit in the 900MHz frequency range thanks to the new FCC rules.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone »

Slight correction. With the recent fcc changes, wireless systems must operate below 600 MHz or at/above 900mhz
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

My bad, thanks for the correction! Our soundman was telling us just at/above 900mhz.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone »

Tarkus697 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:27 pm My bad, thanks for the correction! Our soundman was telling us just at/above 900mhz.
900Mhz and above is where the "digital" systems operate, I believe. From what I've understood, the "digital" systems do not have the same operating range as the analog. Shure has a new system coming that is a hybrid - sound quality of digital and operating range of analog. Pricy, though.

Return to “Technology”