Source for .508/.509 leadpipes?

Bach5G

Source for .508/.509 leadpipes?

Post by Bach5G »

I’ve acquired a Bach 16M slide with a set of sketchy press-fit lead pipes.

Does anyone know of a source for .509 pipes (or .508 - I’m sure 1/1000 of an inch isn’t going to make much of a difference).
Bonearzt

Re: Source for .508/.509 leadpipes?

Post by Bonearzt »

Brad Close/Noah Gladstone-Brass Ark, MK Drawing-Mike Bulow, Kanstul, Chuck McAlexander (limited supply!)
Maybe BAC in Kansas?

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

Shires and Edwards makes great leadpipes as well. ;)
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I've put Shires #2 (T08 #2) in a Bach 16M before and liked the result. You might have to expand the bore as you mentioned .001 which is like... as wide as a sheet of paper. I'd just take it to a tech and have them expand it fore you to make sure it's a snug fit... generally a good idea anyway. Loose fitting pipes, at least where the pipe touches the inner bore, seems to be relatively important to how well a pipe plays.

That said, one of the techs I used to go to on the east coast indicated he had a common procedure he did to almost all Bach trombones that came in the shop. It involved removing the pipe and cutting off the top of it until the mouthpiece seated properly and then fitting the bottom so it fit snugly in the slide. Apparently that satisfied a LOT of players. Sounds like it might work for you too but I'd also suggest trying some of the aftermarket pipes. Lots of really quality after market ones available now.

I also have had a few Brassark pipes that I've quite liked. Just ordered a sterling silver 32H pipe for my 500/525 horn... they can make one for 508 as well.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Point of information: A piece of paper is thicker than 0.001"

The amount of expansion to make an 0.508" leadpipe fit an 0.509" opening is usually done by "swedging" the edge of the pipe with something like a mouthpiece shank. Before you go crazy, see if it really needs it. Generally manufacturing tolerances are often loose enough that the T08 pipe may fit a Bach 16 as is.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’m not fussing too much over .001”. It’s a trombone, not a jet engine.

Any suggestions wrt what might work well in a 16M slide? I’m leaning towards a Kanstul H8.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Bach5G wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:27 am I’m not fussing too much over .001”. It’s a trombone, not a jet engine.

Any suggestions wrt what might work well in a 16M slide? I’m leaning towards a Kanstul H8.
I've had better experiences with the Shires #2 than the H8 (I tried both in mine when I had it). The Kanstul seemed a little bit more diffuse and the Shires more focused --- at least for my playing. That said, I really like the 32H pipes and so if I were buying a new one right now, I'd probably order a 32H from Brassark. EDIT: Actually, that isn't a hypothetical, I just did that! Not sure which material I'd recommend for the 16M; depends on what I thought of the horn. Noah can give recommendations though. I really dig sterling pipes, so that's what I ordered but I'm not sure if they're best for most players. People seem to like the seamed copper from them.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

I ordered some from Shires for my 16M. They fit snug. I like the 2.5...

Andrew
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve had an H8 leadpipe in my 16MG for probably 10 years and love it. It opened the upper range up quite a bit and just made it a better slotting horn. I tried an Edwards #2 for a while in the 16MG and didn`t like. I have one in mu 36 and it really works there.
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Bonearzt wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:20 am Brad Close/Noah Gladstone-Brass Ark, MK Drawing-Mike Bulow, Kanstul, Chuck McAlexander (limited supply!)
Maybe BAC in Kansas?

Eric

Is MK making small bore pipes now or are they special order? None on their site that I saw.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Not sure, best to call and ask.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

Return to “Accessories”