Is Harold Van Schaik on this site? Trombone Chat

Discuss the people that make the music here.
jph

Is Harold Van Schaik on this site? Trombone Chat

Post by jph »

Really miss Harold Van Schaik's contributions from TTF, is he on this site?
I am an old(er) Crisafulli and Kleinhammer student, too.
SwissTbone

Re: Is Harold Van Schaik on this site? Trombone Chat

Post by SwissTbone »

There are a lot of people that where on ttf and that I miss on this site. Easiest is contact them through Facebook or email and inviting them to join in.

I am still eagerly waiting for Sam Burtis to join tc...
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:43 am I am still eagerly waiting for Sam Burtis to join tc...
:good:
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Many of them never made the move to here... but many people are now active on the trombone pedagogy on facebook. I highly recommend checking that page out!

The quality of content on that page went up significantly when the forums went down.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

mrdeacon wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:32 am Many of them never made the move to here... but many people are now active on the trombone pedagogy on facebook. I highly recommend checking that page out!
Unfortunately, there are many of us who have no interest in Facebook, for a myriad of reasons. :twisted:
BassBoneFL

Post by BassBoneFL »

jph wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 pm Really miss Harold Van Schaik's contributions from TTF, is he on this site?
I am an old(er) Crisafulli and Kleinhammer student, too.
:hi:
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist
jph

Post by jph »

Hurrah! A reminder of getting older was Jim Olin's recent retirement from the Baltimore Symph. Jim was a NU student of Mr. C while I was at the U of Illinois. Jim was a year behind me as I recall, a 1976 NU grad. His wife, Jane Marvine, English Horm at BSO, played oboe in my middle and high school bands...very small world.
BassBoneFL

Post by BassBoneFL »

Jane was the HS teacher of an NU classmate of mine. Hearing Jim, Eric, and Doug play at the '82 ITF is what inspired me to go to Chicago to study.
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist
jph

Post by jph »

Jim played Principal in the NU Symphonic Wind Ensemble under Paynter...as a Freshman, which generally unheard of at the time. I was a mere mortal, thus it was fortunate that I majored in Business Operations Research at UI.
Moved from Asst. Prin. (tenor) to Bass (as a sophomore) and Ed Kleinhammer loaned me that Bass.
jph

Post by jph »

Dick Reed, long-time Bass in Denver, was yet another Mr. C and Ed Kleinhammer disciple, as well as Bob Lambert.
He went to the mutual rival, Indiana, and studied with...here it comes...Tom Beversdorf. He even played as a sub in the Reiner days. Jazz and show/pit trombonist, too. He took a frightened, in affect, intern under his wings when he didn't have to. I remain grateful to this day...as well as the decision to stick with business as a career.
Ellefson

Post by Ellefson »

Hi Harold!

Yes, I used to have a recording of that very Baltimore section giving a class at some trombone convention...maybe the same as you mention above. Of course, that cassette has gone the way of lots of my irreplaceable stuff: loaned to students, sadly never to return. I remember they played that Albinoni Trio Sonata that Doug later published. I liked it so much that I had already transcribed it from the recording of that class. I also remember Mahler 3, Mandarin and Mozart Requiem excerpts that were completely ear opening for me---maybe a Bruckner 8 too? I think it was that first time I had heard a "naked" section play. I had a pilgrimage to Chicago already in mind but those guys cemented it. I wanted to follow that style of playing. I wish I had that recording back---it has likely been missing for 25 years, at least.
So many wonderful players adorn our history. Thanks, all, for mentioning a few....and Thomas Beversdorf! I first met him 40 years ago when I was a sophomore in high school. Through a series of connections and coincidences, I now am the current custodian of his 1950s Conn 88H, complete with unchanged aluminum tape in sonically strategic :good: positions...and prototype Schilke 52E2, which were literally made for each other.
Fun to reminisce.

PE
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I heard a slightly different Baltimore section play, and that sound is still firmly in my mind. I was in the finals for the 2nd job in around 79 or 80. There were about 6 - 8 of us, and then they narrowed it down to 2 to play with the section. Sadly, I wasn't one of those 2, but all of us stayed and listened to them play several excepts (twice - once for each candidate). The playing was beautiful, with Jim Olin and David Fetter splitting the 1st trombone duties, John Englekis (sp?) on bass and the 2 candidates playing second. The excerpt that still sticks in my mind all these years later was a beautiful section from Lohengrin, where the 1st trombone plays the tune (with a tenor singer onstage in the original). Jim Olin played that so beautifully, twice! The phrasing and tuning, especially since he was using a ton of alternate positions, was stunning. John, of course moved on to San Francisco, and the winner of the 2nd job that day was Eric Carlson, who moved on the Philadelphia a few years later. I left that day a bit sad that I didn't win, but completely inspired.

Jim Scott
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Ellefson wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:00 pm Hi Harold!

Yes, I used to have a recording of that very Baltimore section giving a class at some trombone convention...maybe the same as you mention above. Of course, that cassette has gone the way of lots of my irreplaceable stuff: loaned to students, sadly never to return. I remember they played that Albinoni Trio Sonata that Doug later published. I liked it so much that I had already transcribed it from the recording of that class. I also remember Mahler 3, Mandarin and Mozart Requiem excerpts that were completely ear opening for me---maybe a Bruckner 8 too? I think it was that first time I had heard a "naked" section play. I had a pilgrimage to Chicago already in mind but those guys cemented it. I wanted to follow that style of playing. I wish I had that recording back---it has likely been missing for 25 years, at least.

PE
Pete,

I might—MIGHT—have a copy of that recording, or at least a part of it. You loaned me a few tapes probably 30 years ago :shock: , and I made copies of them. I have one tape marked “Number 2” which includes excerpts from the Baltimore section. It has The Miraculous Mandarin, Mendelssohn 2, Brahms 4, Til Eulenspiegel, and The Ride. I didn’t label the year, so I don’t know when it was originally recorded.

I haven’t listened to it in many years. It’s a second generation tape, and it has no doubt degraded over the years. I’ll do my best to copy it to a CD and send it. I haven’t any idea where “Number 1” is. Guess I’ll keep looking...
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
BassBoneFL

Post by BassBoneFL »

Ellefson wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:00 pm Hi Harold!

Hi Pete !!

I may have the cassette of that somewhere. Assuming I can find it and it's still playable, I'll burn a CD of it. Believe it or not, I was at that presentation live and in person !! Later that day they all played onan Artist Recital as well. Eric played an amazing Brahms Emin Cello Sonata which was my inspiration to play it on my MM recital 6yrs later. That was the first ITF I ever attended and for me it literally changed my life.
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist
Ellefson

Post by Ellefson »

Wow. Thanks, guys. I'll be happy to receive whatever you can resurrect. I could probably get it from Doug or Jim Olin too but thanks for whatever you can do.

Ken, yes, that rep sounds correct...and Jim, they did also play that Lohengrin chorale in their presentation. Beautiful. The puzzle pieces are being reassembled.

Hey, Harold, do you have contact info for Mike Zion? I have a bunch of outdated email addresses for him. If so, would you please send it to me?

I hope we all run into each other again someday!

PE

Return to “Musicians”