Home studio setup

JLivi

Home studio setup

Post by JLivi »

I was just curious what people do to write/record music in their home studio?

I'll get it started. Here's my setup:

Logic Pro X
Focusrite 2i4 scarlett
Yamaha 88 weighted key keyboard as my MIDI controller (P-95?)
Just purchased an Akai MPX8 to start creating better drum beats, hopefully
AT 4050 (large condenser) to record trombone & any vocals

I think that covers it. I have a pedal board that I mess with as well that has an analog mixer, octave pedal (sub and octave up) and a wah pedal.
Last edited by JLivi on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Savio

Re: Home studio setup

Post by Savio »

That setup should be good! Next step ishttp://homerecording.com/bbs/

Leif
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

JLivi wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:28 pm I was just curious what people do to write/record music in their home studio?

I'll get it started. Here's my setup:

Logic X
Focusrite 2i4 scarlett
Yamaha 88 weighted key keyboard as my MIDI controller (P-95?)
Just purchased an Akai MPX8 to start creating better drum beats, hopefully
AT 4050 (large condenser) to record trombone & any vocals

I think that covers it. I have a pedal board that I mess with as well that has an analog mixer, octave pedal (sub and octave up) and a wah pedal.
How does it sound?

Savio, you had some great recordings on TTF, how did you do them?

I am looking into a Zoom H6 with an additional microphone to have more sound sources, good idea?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Savio

Post by Savio »

I read a lot in that home recording site, got some tips there. Like the preamp is important, mic placement and the room is also important. I tried different things and found a way that works ok for me. Just for fun. But the more I read in that site, the more I understood I don't know much. So I just found one way that works. I have used different mics, apex 205, shure 58, AKG 1000s, and also a Samson. Dynamic mics, short placement, condensator mics, longer distance. Add a little reverb, and adjust volume level with a limiter. That's it. I found out its best to do it simple. I sometimes tried all the effects, but it doesn't work good for me. I believe that's for pro people. And often the software effects are bad in cheap software. I have Cubase from 2005. So simple is best result for me. Wow, many words with little sense. Anyway I was told the focusrite preamp is important for my use. I also use a Zoom with good result. Puuh, I need a coffee after all this words....

Leif
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Savio wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 am I read a lot in that home recording site, got some tips there. Like the preamp is important, mic placement and the room is also important. I tried different things and found a way that works ok for me. Just for fun. But the more I read in that site, the more I understood I don't know much. So I just found one way that works. I have used different mics, apex 205, shure 58, AKG 1000s, and also a Samson. Dynamic mics, short placement, condensator mics, longer distance. Add a little reverb, and adjust volume level with a limiter. That's it. I found out its best to do it simple. I sometimes tried all the effects, but it doesn't work good for me. I believe that's for pro people. And often the software effects are bad in cheap software. I have Cubase from 2005. So simple is best result for me. Wow, many words with little sense. Anyway I was told the focusrite preamp is important for my use. I also use a Zoom with good result. Puuh, I need a coffee after all this words....

Leif
Savio, I want to pick your brain a little more.

The Focusrite pre you use, is it a Scarlett 2i2? A little red box? What mic do you use with it?

Wich Zoom do you use and how do you use it to get good results? I have a Zoom H2N (old I know) and never got really good results with it. How do you place it?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Savio

Post by Savio »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 am
Savio wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 am I read a lot in that home recording site, got some tips there. Like the preamp is important, mic placement and the room is also important. I tried different things and found a way that works ok for me. Just for fun. But the more I read in that site, the more I understood I don't know much. So I just found one way that works. I have used different mics, apex 205, shure 58, AKG 1000s, and also a Samson. Dynamic mics, short placement, condensator mics, longer distance. Add a little reverb, and adjust volume level with a limiter. That's it. I found out its best to do it simple. I sometimes tried all the effects, but it doesn't work good for me. I believe that's for pro people. And often the software effects are bad in cheap software. I have Cubase from 2005. So simple is best result for me. Wow, many words with little sense. Anyway I was told the focusrite preamp is important for my use. I also use a Zoom with good result. Puuh, I need a coffee after all this words....

Leif
Savio, I want to pick your brain a little more.

The Focusrite pre you use, is it a Scarlett 2i2? A little red box? What mic do you use with it?

Wich Zoom do you use and how do you use it to get good results? I have a Zoom H2N (old I know) and never got really good results with it. How do you place it?
The focusrite I use is Saffire 6, its old but I was told all focusrite have good preamps.
I got a new Zoom video. Q4n. This one can turn the two stereo mics to AB or XY. XY is better for solo, and AB is better for a band or orchestra. I think this Zoom recorders sounds good nearly wherever I place it. But very close up is no good. But from 1 meter to 20 they work nice. Best is from 3 to 6 meters in a big nice sounding room. Then its fantastic.

Didnt you do some recordings too cozzagiorgi? I remember it sounded good. I find it like hell to listen own recordings.

Leif
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 am The Focusrite pre you use, is it a Scarlett 2i2? A little red box? What mic do you use with it?
The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is good, but personally I like the 2i4 because it offers a MIDI input. A little more money for a lot more options (keyboard, drums etc).
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I think the 2i2 is perfect only if you are doing a single stereo recording, or you are only recording a single instrument at a time. I love mine, but probably should have gotten the 4 input version.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:22 pm I think the 2i2 is perfect only if you are doing a single stereo recording, or you are only recording a single instrument at a time. I love mine, but probably should have gotten the 4 input version.
Amen! I love the 2i4, but after owning it for a week I got booked to record/play on two different sessions that involved 3 horns. We ended up recording brass together and then tracked tenor sax separate. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. I'm glad it was low pressure and with friends :-)
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Have just started home recording (today!) with a Zoom H4n Pro. Plan is to use pre-recorded stereo backing tracks mainly and add solo lines. Appreciate the importance of distance between horn and device mic. I know you can set recording levels prior to recording on the device. Wondering how you can see the levels AND play the horn to set the levels if you use the two mics on the recording unit. I suppose an external mic is needed with the device in proximity to my playing position so I can set the levels. Or is it just trial and error. Have been recommended to try a pair of Rode M5 - any thoughts? Would my Shure clip on wireless mic be any good for the job?
FWIW I intend to use the Cubase LE supplied with the product. All advice gratefully received.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Geordie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:09 pm Have just started home recording (today!) with a Zoom H4n Pro. Plan is to use pre-recorded stereo backing tracks mainly and add solo lines. Appreciate the importance of distance between horn and device mic. I know you can set recording levels prior to recording on the device. Wondering how you can see the levels AND play the horn to set the levels if you use the two mics on the recording unit. I suppose an external mic is needed with the device in proximity to my playing position so I can set the levels. Or is it just trial and error. Have been recommended to try a pair of Rode M5 - any thoughts? Would my Shure clip on wireless mic be any good for the job?
FWIW I intend to use the Cubase LE supplied with the product. All advice gratefully received.
There is no reason to worry about the levels. You need to test out where you start to clip levels playing very loud, by checking a few test recordings even if you can't see the levels while you are recording. Then back off the gain a decent amount. Then you won't clip anything ever.

If you record in 24 bit or 32-float, you just need a healthy signal, and even at your loudest you don't have to have the signal come close to 0Db. You can adjust levels in your DAW without any data loss that a human ear could detect.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:17 pm There is no reason to worry about the levels. You need to test out where you start to clip levels playing very loud, by checking a few test recordings even if you can't see the levels while you are recording. Then back off the gain a decent amount. Then you won't clip anything ever.

If you record in 24 bit or 32-float, you just need a healthy signal, and even at your loudest you don't have to have the signal come close to 0Db. You can adjust levels in your DAW without any data loss that a human ear could detect.
Appreciated! That’s today’s lockdown agenda sorted out!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal

Return to “Technology”