Venus Trombone

BGuttman

Venus Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

I got a Venus Trombone. I found reference to a similar instrument on the Schlagerl Site.

Does anybody know where they are made? Mine has no country of origin anywhere.

How does it play? OK, I guess. I'm still working to get the slide smooth enough. Sound is not terrible. I wonder if this is an Indian "Wonder".
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Neo Bri

Re: Venus Trombone

Post by Neo Bri »

I think you answered your own question. The obvious answer - Venus.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Now that I've had a chance to try to blow this thing, I'll give a quick review.

I bought this used, so take with a grain of salt. I hope any vendors who sell these things will chime in.

The mouthpiece supplied did not fit well at all. It looked like a mouthpiece for a Medium Bore G Bass trombone (I'll try it on mine when I get a chance). A Doug Elliott fit nicely and a Giardinelli fit nicely.

The instrument has a VERY thick lacquer coating. Mine is a greenish blue. It certainly looks impressive. But it plays like there is a sock in something. There is no resonance at all. Even my 100 year old King has more resonance.

The slide is pretty heavy compared to the bell; so much so that the built-in counterbalance doesn't quite do enough.

I managed to get the slide to something useful (8 out of 10, perhaps) with a few cleanings and applications of slide lube. I also did my old "slather and soak" to make sure the outer slide "absorbed" enough lube to work. It felt like the brass was pretty porous (a sign of cheapness).

The horn was sold as a beginner horn. I wouldn't give this to a beginner. It will make them move to something else. I might consider using this as a Christmas Caroling horn or where there is a good chance it may take a beating. Definitely not a good "cheap and dirty" horn for a High Schooler to use for lead in Jazz Band.

I'm beginning to think it's an Indian Wonder.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
LarryPrestonRoberson

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 pm I got a Venus Trombone. Does anybody know where they are made?
Euphoniums (tenor tubas) are from Mars. Trombones are from Venus.

There are a couple of bad jokes in that.

Return to “Instruments”