Bach 1 1/2g cup diameter measurements

mrdeacon

Bach 1 1/2g cup diameter measurements

Post by mrdeacon »

Hi!

I recently picked up a Mr.Bass Brass Ark/Bob Reeves piece and it's fantastic!

I'm curious though about rim measurements...

Brass Ark states the cup diameter of the Mr.Bass is 27.1mm, Bach states their 1 1/2G is 27mm. The Mr.Bass feels and looks noticeably bigger.

I have a Bach Corp. 1 1/2G and I measured 26mmish. My Mr.Bass I measure at 27mmish. On both I used a tape measurer measuring the inside diameter of the cup.

Does Bach use a different way of measuring?

I don't have any other 1 1/2, 59 or 60 sized pieces to double check any of these measurements.
Last edited by mrdeacon on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
ghmerrill

Re: Bach 1 1/2g cup diameter measurements

Post by ghmerrill »

Measurements of mouthpieces like that are not very precise or objective. Doug Elliott will probably fill in on the details. But there's just a lot of variation in curvatures of the cup and rim surfaces and edges so on two mouthpieces it almost doesn't make (precise) sense to say "I measured them both at the same point". Also, Bach seems over the years to have had pretty wild dimensional variance even among examples of the same model mouthpiece -- in particular the 1 1/2. The whole 1 1/2 or 1 1/4, etc. classification is just a rough ballpark kind of thing. You have to play it to tell ... er ... how it plays.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
blast

Post by blast »

You need a proper micrometer. Next, you must realise that mouthpieces of all sizes vary A LOT. Small differences FEEL big to us as players. Even CNC made pieces vary. Different makers measure at different points on the rim leading to much confusion. You cannot trust printed specs. Simple eh ??

Chris
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that even though the specs are close the feel is way different.

I used to play on a 93D and I felt like I had a pretty good handle on the rim size. Then I tried 95D, which is only .5mm larger, and basically anything above G above the staff was unplayable because the rim felt so big.

The rim is also wider on the Mr.Bass... maybe that's what I'm feeling?
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I find the Mr. Bass to be way bigger than other 1 1/2g I’ve tried....I think I saw once where it was referred to as more like an ‘oversized 1 1/2g’, which seems about right to me.

You’re right too, tiny differences in rim contour can make big differences in feel on the lips.
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

Think about how different a 5g vs a 6.5al rim feels-- that's a 0.1mm difference if you believe the published specs. Then factor rim contour into account and who really knows.
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

mrdeacon wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:47 pm I guess I shouldn't be surprised that even though the specs are close the feel is way different.

I used to play on a 93D and I felt like I had a pretty good handle on the rim size. Then I tried 95D, which is only .5mm larger, and basically anything above G above the staff was unplayable because the rim felt so big.

The rim is also wider on the Mr.Bass... maybe that's what I'm feeling?
That's really interesting, I was thinking about trying a 95d a while from now just to see what I think. Maybe not.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Don't let me disuade you from the 95D, it's an excellent mouthpiece! The cup and backbone are modest for the size and the mouthpiece is very nimble!

But the rim on that thing is basically a small tuba rim. Low and mid register is great but if you can't handle a big rim anything above the staff is a ton of work.

Personally I can't handle anything bigger then a Elliott 114.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Thanks for all the responses! That was enlightening and a good reminder about how important the rim is in a mouthpiece. I'm not sure if the Mr.Bass is my final stop on the 1 1/2 journey but I'll try it out for a little while before I make up my mind!
Last edited by mrdeacon on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

The shape of the rim and the slope into the bowl also factor a lot into the "feel" of a mouthpiece.

Like others said too, mouthpiece manufacturing varies quite a bit, especially in the older Bach pieces. I just pulled out the calipers to check out some 6-3/4C mouthpieces I have earlier today, and there is a .3mm difference between two of the pieces that are purportedly supposed to be the same mouthpiece! I like to think of the labels on pieces as "variations on a theme."
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Rusty wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:55 pm I find the Mr. Bass to be way bigger than other 1 1/2g I’ve tried....I think I saw once where it was referred to as more like an ‘oversized 1 1/2g’, which seems about right to me.

You’re right too, tiny differences in rim contour can make big differences in feel on the lips.
George Roberts played an oversized 1 1/2G.
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

mrdeacon wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:01 pm Don't let me disuade you from the 95D, it's an excellent mouthpiece! The cup and backbone are modest for the size and the mouthpiece is very nimble!

But the rim on that thing is basically a small tuba rim. Low and mid register is great but if you can't handle a big rim anything above the staff is a ton of work.

Personally I can't handle anything bigger then a Elliott 114.
I'll just try it sometime. Personally coming from the 1 1/2g size, I feel much more comfortable on a bigger rim size than I did on the 1 1/2ish size. But that's just me.

Return to “Mouthpieces”