Greenhoe Thumb Rests

Neo Bri

Greenhoe Thumb Rests

Post by Neo Bri »

Hey - How much do these usually go for? They're pretty neat and stuff.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Greenhoe Thumb Rests

Post by Matt K »

Neo Bri wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:11 pm Hey - How much do these usually go for? They're pretty neat and stuff.
$80-$120. They don't make em anymore! I surprisingly like them from a comfort perspective. That said, they are nickel. (Although Matt clarified in a post in the TTF a few weeks ago actually about that in the thread Doug mentioned about how one should be careful about nickel plated mouthpieces... basically something to the effect of it isn't quite the same thing). In either case, I had one on my Xeno about a decade ago. Unbelievably comfortable instrument with one of these installed. But I was sensitive to whatever it was made out of, so I put fingernail polish on it. Thick, black fingernatil polish so I could see when it was worn. If I was to do it again, I'd probably get one silver plated and then do a clear lacquer over it just to be sure. Would cost a few extra $$$ though but In my estimation worth it.
tbathras

Post by tbathras »

Shires makes one that you can add on, $125 includes the saddle and thumb bar. I've included a pic of the one I soldered on to my single bass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Ultimately, I settled on a Neotech brace. I prefer it to anything else, but the Greenhoe is definitely on the list of ones that I also find comfortable. I'm not as much a fan of the Shires. It's much further forward than the Greenhoe ones because of the angle at which is starts (it's attached to the front, as pictured rather than the side as the Greenhoe ones were).

Other braces handle angles that are parallel with the lower slide tube by having an arm that comes downward but the Shires ones is difficult to emulate! But bear in mind i have dainty hands so my opinion not necessarily applicable to anyone with normal sized hands.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

The Greenhoe and Shires rests are my favorites! I also like bullet brace and Axe Handle (?) but not as much. I bought a bass trombone that had a Shires mounted on it and left it on when I sold the horn. I considered pulling it off but it worked so well on that horn, I didn't have the heart to do it...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Accessories”