Slide Technique Resources

How and what to teach and learn.
shinythings7

Slide Technique Resources

Post by shinythings7 »

Hi all,

Hoping to get some recommendations on books, videos, recordings, or anything else that has to do with slide technique.

Thanks in advance!
baileyman

Re: Slide Technique Resources

Post by baileyman »

Several things have shown up over time:

* I remember a video of JJ playing where he did a slide trill by flinging the bar from thumb to finger, which was quite remarkable. He did that fairly often.

* Sam Burtis has a huge discussion in Time and Connections along with beaucoup exercises.

* Tom Malone has discussion in Alternate Position System for Trombone.

* Bob McChesney has detailed discussion in Technical Studies for Trombone. Slide technique is super important to enabling his doodle technique.

* David Vining has significant discussion in one of his books but cannot remember which.

Several writers tend to become dogmatic about their technique, as if one guy's body mapping is the final truth. But it seems the proof should be in the performance. I notice there seems to be a bit of conflict among legit players between symphonic and opera where it seems symphonic players would rather have valves with a kind of digital shift technique. Videos of Carl Fontana will show him breaking everybody's rules no matter what they are. His method was "Don't fight the horn, it's hard enough already." Yet the notes were beautiful.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

The James Markey video from the last American Trombone Workshop is worth reviewing. His view on slide technique was new to me but made sense.
bassbone

Post by bassbone »

timothy42b wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:54 am The James Markey video from the last American Trombone Workshop is worth reviewing. His view on slide technique was new to me but made sense.
Thanks for suggesting this! I had not seen this masterclass and there is no shortage of great info here (on slide technique and other topics).

Here is a link to make it easier:
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

Interesting to hear JM's thoughts on the wrist angle changing when moving down the slide. I do this when I get to the 5th position and beyond anyway, and thought that it was considered to be not good technique. So, nice to have that little pat on the head. (I'm 6'2" if this has any bearing.)
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Where within the hour does he talk about slide technique?
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

baileyman wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:45 am Where within the hour does he talk about slide technique?
Around 5 mins in.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”