What else do you play??

Spin your yarns here.
Zandit75

What else do you play??

Post by Zandit75 »

I'm always curious to see if musicians have any other instruments that they play other than their primary instrument that they may be known for.
Me personally, I started on the Trombone in Highschool, much to my parents disgust and surprise, who thought I would follow in my Dad's footsteps by learning to play the guitar.
I did eventually take up the guitar, and found I had a singing voice to go with it.
It may not be to everyone's taste, however please find below one of my cover songs, Whiskey & You.
LeTromboniste

Re: What else do you play??

Post by LeTromboniste »

Most of what I do is more or less related to trombone. No so much modern trombones anymore - haven't taken my 42 out of its case for months... Sackbuts and other historical trombones. Since recently slide trumpet and ophicleide. Less directly related to trombone, I'm currently taking singing lessons and starting to learn recorder. And I've done a lot of orchestral conducting, if that counts as an instrument :P
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Bass and tenor trombones are my primaries these days, but I double all the brass and also play synthesizers.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

For most of my life, I've noodled and dabbled with any instrument available to me. Non-musicians are impressed. Low brass are the only instruments that I am willing to work to play them usefully. I suppose I might also say hand percussion. This gives me something to do in pop bands when trombone doesn't play.

I'd like to sing more, but it takes time away from trombone playing.
bwilliams

Post by bwilliams »

The usual suspects: trombone, tuba, euphonium
rumhud

Post by rumhud »

I'm learning the ophicleide. I imagine my neighbors are not pleased.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I'm a doubler on alto, tenor and bass trombones and I play decent euphonium. I have played piano as an accompanging player (in my youth). I have also had more than one performing experience as a payed choralist.

From all these instruments I have over time earned my living, at least partly.

I have studied base and drums for about a year at the royal academy of music in Stockholm. It was a part of the education, and it came handy later when I worked as a music teacher. Back then I played trumpet, tuba, electric bass, synthesiser and drums besides the earlier listed if needed, but my skills on those latter instruments never became more than rudimentary, even though I worked for 13 years as a music teacher. I would not do any of those instruments in public today.

In the future I hope to be a better tubist. Not ready for an audience on tuba yet. Maybe tomorrow. I do practice tuba so it is one of my goals to raise my hand for a tuba gig ;-)

/ Tom
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Other than trom.... Euphonium, Trumpet/Cornet, Piano. I also conduct and compose/arrange (badly!)
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I play bass, tenor, and alto trombone regularly. Also tuba and euphonium very regularly. Other instruments... cornet, flugelhorn, percussion, drum set, piano (just chord changes), and a very bass upright bass.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Tuba was my main instrument for many years. I'm still learning on trombone. I also play Euphonium and some bass guitar. Trombone gets my time and focus now. Its a great instrument.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

My primary instrument is trumpet, but early on it was trombone. I played in several groups as a designated "player", either trumpet or trombone. I also play euphonium and bass guitar. Trying to learn guitar, but still in early stages though I have played it out once, led singing in a jail ministry. I don't play keyboard and was able to play the melody and sing at the same time. Too bad those attending were locked in.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
islander

Post by islander »

I've been a sax player most of my life, mainly baritone sax but I play all the other main ones, doubling clarinet and bass clarinet too. Oh, and a lot of bass trombone with some occasional tenor thrown in.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Trumpet. My sousphone retired but will never sell it, don't care about flugelhorn or cornet so much, sold them. Euphonium is s rare job for a Bavarian band, just to do a friend a favor.....
Hear, Ear !
Tetraphosphate

Post by Tetraphosphate »

My main instruments are piano and flute, been playing those for most of my (short) life, and I picked up trombone 2 years ago and I love it
-----
Do look at the trombones!
dershem

Post by dershem »

Brass. Primarily a trumpet player, but ... everything from french horn to tuba, though my tuba is just an EEb. Latin percussion, of course, and BG vocals.
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

Alphorn!
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Trumpet is my primary instrument, and I also play cornet and flugelhorn, with an occasional blow on shofar. I used to play piano acceptably, but now I just use a keyboard to work out chords and voicings. I used to play flute sometimes when my brass chops were done for the day, just to make more music. I found that after I got the fingerings down, flute was very easy to play. I eventually did this so seldom that I sold my flute. I don't miss it.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
trombonesLOUDERplease

Post by trombonesLOUDERplease »

I toyed with trumpet (gasp!).

I know, right?

Yeah, but despite having good horns at my disposal, and the benefit of a few lessons, I still totally failed at trumpet. It wasn't for lack of trying. I practiced religiously, day after day for many, many months...actually for over a year, daily!

Alas, I still could not stay above top-line G or maybe A with any facility. It seemed like my embouchure just didn't have the right combination of flesh, teeth, tension, etc... Plenty of air. Air was never the problem...but I got bupkis for all my effort.

Oh well! :???:

I enjoyed it, even tho I could never really play in public.

Back to trombone I went, and all was right with the world again.
NathsnArmijo88

Post by NathsnArmijo88 »

I play drum set, ukulele, bass guitar, im learning soprano trombone and trumpet, im planning on getting an alto trombone, I play a bit of piano, and flute most of these except drums, ukulele, and bass I'm not very good at and just learn them for fun. I think learning more instruments is a great way to add knowledge to your brain, especially if you want to compose music.
samopn

Post by samopn »

I play(ed) funk bass guitar for a long time and even with a 30 year gap am still better at it than I'll ever be on the trombone...

Also, the shofa (ceremonial rams horn)
Gary

Post by Gary »

Played, professionally, Trumpet, French Horn, Flute and Saxes.

Dabbled on Trombone, Guitar, Recorder, Feadog, Ukulele.
Learned rudiments on Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass, Piano.
ddickerson

Post by ddickerson »

Piano.
Kanstul 1550
Kanstul 1606
kendoro

Post by kendoro »

sax and clarinet
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Baritone throughout school years, then added trumpet, tenor trombone, euphonium, French horn, and out of a player shortage many years ago, after a 3 day crash course I filled in on a BBb tuba for a Christmas brass ensemble and strangely wanted to continue.(That was only tuba available, player that played the previous years was using Eb tuba due to not being able to read bass clef. Had a euph treble part so he used my horn and I used the school tuba I borrowed from my daughter's band director.) Due to downsizing a few years ago my buddy gave me his Conn 20J tuba, with the stipulation if he was ever homeless and hungry he would resume ownership of said tuba.

Primary horns are trumpet and tenor trombone, euphonium regularly, and French horn occasionally. Tuba is usually reserved for Christmas Brass groups, but have been using it weekly for a couple weeks to help a new tuba player in the church band out. Use tuba during practice, then switch to whatever horn I think fits the songs best.

Oh yeah, have filled in on drums a few times. Assuredly not Gene Krupa level!
samopn

Post by samopn »

Since my last post on this chat, back in 2019 (!!) I've been trying to teach myself flute.

I decided it was time to learn something new, from the bottom up. I wanted to learn an instrument that I knew nothing about; was cheap; was SMALL and was easy to carry. That didn't leave many options.

Like brass, the flute is all about the embouchure but it's so completely different to blowing my 'bone.

A long way to go before it "clicks" with me but such fun, although my wife complains that the high notes give her a headache.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I started life as a saxophonist for a few year.

Then tuba for a few.

Then trombone.

Then specialized on bass trombone but picked up euphonium and came back to tuba.

Got myself a trumpet.

Then ended up playing bass clarinet in my college band...trumpet in a local trad band...

But got burned out and focused on violin/viola for a few years and majored in them for a while. Played in the college orchestra. But then they played Carmina Burana so I played horn cos they needed one.

Then clarinet in the same local trad band as well as tuba...

Then toured on trombone/bass trombone...

And here I am now playing lead tenor saxophone (doubling flute/clarinet) in a not-so-good local big band.

In between those things I took classical guitar lessons and did some local shows on upright bass, drums, etc.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Neo Bri wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:06 am I started life as a saxophonist for a few year.

Then tuba for a few.

Then trombone.

Then specialized on bass trombone but picked up euphonium and came back to tuba.

Got myself a trumpet.

Then ended up playing bass clarinet in my college band...trumpet in a local trad band...

But got burned out and focused on violin/viola for a few years and majored in them for a while. Played in the college orchestra. But then they played Carmina Burana so I played horn cos they needed one.

Then clarinet in the same local trad band as well as tuba...

Then toured on trombone/bass trombone...

And here I am now playing lead tenor saxophone (doubling flute/clarinet) in a not-so-good local big band.

In between those things I took classical guitar lessons and did some local shows on upright bass, drums, etc.
A lot of skills! :good: As I said earlier in this thread I'm doubling on all trombones and euphonium. I sing in a choire and I play the piano. This is the instruments I've perfomed with (exept one church gig I did on soprano trombone).

Besides this I try my best to learn trumpet, cornet, flugelhorn, french horn and tuba, but it is hard work. Trumpet is what gives most trouble. French horn is my favourite. I have real good instruments, so no excuse. I keep practicing. See what happens.

/Tom
xtine

Post by xtine »

I've fiddled with guitar (I know basic chords, follow along to tabs), and also bass guitar on simple stuff. I took a year of drumset lessons after college just because I always had a side interest in percussion. It came in handy to finally be able to do some basic multi track videos (playing guitar, trombone, and drumset!). Then I finally had my first percussive performance when I stepped in on bass drum for a community marching band for a few parades! It was much fun. With stringed and percussive instruments, it's nice to not worry so much on how I am going to breathe... 😂
Ozzlefinch

Post by Ozzlefinch »

I play slide trombone, obviously. Also 4-valve trombone, electric bass guitar, mellophone, violin, and I just picked up a really nice trumpet at a thrift shop for $10, so I will be adding that soon to my list.

I would love to explore more variety, but I don't have the time and it's very difficult to find left handed instruments. The valve 'bone and trumpet are no issues, but I absolutely needed left handed bass and violin.

I encourage everyone to branch out and try something completely different, if for nothing more than fun and personal experience
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

All you folks really impress me. It's everything I can do to just wrestle the trombone to the ground. I envy your ability to play multiple instruments.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

In public: tenor, bass and alto trombone, euphonium, British baritone, oval tenorhorn and tuba

Messing auround at home: ukulele, bass trumpet, soprano trombone, hackbuts

Learning: flügelhorn and trumpet

Started learning, presently in too hard pile: viola
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

Play in public currently: tenor and bass trombones, and tuba

Can play in public, given the opportunity: Euphonium

Have previously played in public, but no longer own: bass guitar

My high school holds a "little band camp", and senior year we needed someone to help the incoming horn players learn the basics. So I stepped in.

It's difficult going from concert pitch instruments to one that transposes like the horn does. It was rough, but I think I did ok. At least i can stuff my lips into the deep mouthpiece of a horn and get away with it.

I should really learn how to read transposing parts in F so I can have an excuse to pick up a horn...
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
GGJazz

Post by GGJazz »

Hello all.

Years ago I was doubling on tenor and bass trbn . Now I am playing only bass ; in Big Band , Orchestra , Jazz 4et/5et , Solo performance , ecc .

I play piano too , because to me it is the key to really understand how harmony works , ecc . I also write arrangements and compose original tunes , so playing piano is really a must . I can comping pretty well , and take a couple of choruses ' solo ( not in really fast or complicated tunes ! ) .

I practiced others instruments , with the pourpose of improve my musicianship and my chops .

I played drums for a while , to improve my time feel . Was really fun , and I have to say that it is not so easy to keep a good steady 4/4 time without rush or slow down...

A couple of years ago I practiced trumpet , 10/15 minutes a day , for 8 /10 months . Many years ago , a tuba player lend to me a tuba (a Yamaha one , very good ) for a couple of months ; very interesting instrument .

However , the bass trombone is the only instrument that I love to play every day , all day long !

Regards
Giancarlo
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

I grew up playing sax in band and have all the main ones (soprano, alto, tenor, and bari). While I was in grad school, one of my classmates introduced me to flute, and I dabbled in that on and off (and now I own an alto flute too). Two years ago I kind of went crazy buying instruments, but I decided to give trombone focus and take lessons (I mostly play bass, but I have small and large tenors and an alto too). I also have all the other brass as well, but saxes, low brass, and if I give some focused practice ahead of time, flutes are the only things I'd actually play in public groups.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I don't play piano in any devoted sense but since I inherited the family piano I've made it a point to have several pieces put together so if I find myself in a room with a piano... I can play something.

It usually doesn't take much to gob smack people because "no one has played that piano in years!"

I played clarinet in my college's second band for two years. I was able enough to not be the problem in the section. I acquired a clarinet again several years ago but haven't gotten back into it.

samopn wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:57 am Since my last post on this chat, back in 2019 (!!) I've been trying to teach myself flute.
Every three years or so I decide I want to play the flute. I have one. I get it out and start working on it and making progress. But after a month or so I remember why I stopped before... my ears are ringing! I already have some tinnitus and this flute thing is making it much worse. There's no earplug remedy that will solve this. I regret that I will not be playing the flute.

I've been playing cello for about ten years but it sounds kind of sad...

I've plateaued at about a "grade 3" level. To get farther I'd have to put serious hours in every day but my ability to focus isn't what it used to be.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Did my first pro gig on trumpet & flugel this weekend. Touring band typically had sax & trombone and they couldn't make the tour so I filled in and hopped between the trombone, trumpet, and flugel to try to cover all the parts. Still a pretty juvenile improviser on valves but I'll get there eventually...
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I play the usual boring :-) bass, tenor and alto trombone as well as euphonium. And had to learn a little piano during my studies. But I don't think I ever played it in public.

However a little funny story.
When I did an internship at a well-known strategy consulting firm, they had a company event upcoming where their office band was supposed to play. However their bass player was currently on an assignment to Singapore if I remember correctly. So maybe 5 weeks before the event, they asked me to take over. So I bought the cheapest available bass guitar and learned the few notes and licks I needed for the 4 or 5 songs we were playing. Luckily the guitar player took some time to explain the basics to me.

It went relatively okay, but could certainly have been better. There was an issue with the sound on stage so I couldn't really hear myself. So I had to rely on non-existent muscle memory and guessing which note I was playing.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

A few years ago I tried learning the clarinet. I was doing pretty well, even got to the point where I was going to try playing it in a community band. But it seemed to be messing with my trombone chops, so I stopped.
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I have played every part in a brass band, from MD to concussion.

Started on a cornet 40 years ago. Have played baritone, euphonium, tenor & bass trom & Eb tuba in A grade bands.

During lockdown due to covid I started to teach myself clarinet. Not very good! I know the basics of sax, but wouldn't say that I play it!

Now, due to medical reasons, I only play bass bone, tenor bone & euphonium. I'll jump on a baritone to help, but won't play it permanently.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

robcat2075 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:29 am Every three years or so I decide I want to play the flute. I have one. I get it out and start working on it and making progress. But after a month or so I remember why I stopped before... my ears are ringing! I already have some tinnitus and this flute thing is making it much worse. There's no earplug remedy that will solve this. I regret that I will not be playing the flute.
Have you considered bass flute? Way less of that whole "GOD! WHO SHOVED ICEPICKS INTO MY EARS!!" kinda action.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Full time doubles - Alto, Tenor, Bass Trombone, Euphonium, Tenor Horn, BBb & Eb Tuba
Part time (occasional) doubles - Flute, Alto Flute, Piccolo, recorder, Valve Trombone, Baritone
Fun doubles to solo on - Conch Shells (I have 8) , Fife, shofar, Alto Flugelhorn, Kalimba
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

JohnL wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:16 pm
robcat2075 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:29 am Every three years or so I decide I want to play the flute. I have one. I get it out and start working on it and making progress. But after a month or so I remember why I stopped before... my ears are ringing! I already have some tinnitus and this flute thing is making it much worse. There's no earplug remedy that will solve this. I regret that I will not be playing the flute.
Have you considered bass flute? Way less of that whole "GOD! WHO SHOVED ICEPICKS INTO MY EARS!!" kinda action.
I have a concert flute and a new alto flute. A few weeks ago, I decided to do third octave long tones and try to extend my range up a bit. Everything above G6 on the concert flute felt like it was damaging my hearing, and I have no interest in buying a piccolo now. It was all good on alto flute though. I feel like moving forward, I'll probably focus on it as far as flute goes. I love the tone of the low flutes, and they aren't tinnitus inducing so that's great.
Fruitysloth

Post by Fruitysloth »

I originally started on Euphonium and then moved to trombone in high school, and it has since then been my primary. I joined the Tuba-Euphonium Studio in undergrad because I liked our professor, and played both Euph and Tuba in that group for several years. I bought my own CC tuba and Euph, play Tuba in some of the local community bands as we have too many bone players, and I play both Euph/Tuba in a local Octoberfest group!
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
gregwaits

Post by gregwaits »

I play piano and guitar too.
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

I stumbled onto mandolin after trying unsuccessfully to get past very basic chord shapes and strum patterns on guitar. A couple years later through a connection at church I learned about hammered dulcimer. My wife told me I could get one if I learned to play Rich Mullins songs. Both instruments worked well with a young family when the limited music time I had was in the evenings. I've not yet figured out how to combine either instrument with trombone, but I've enjoyed tinkering with a couple attempts via virtual ensembles.

Mandolins were made by Fylde Guitars in the UK. Dulcimer was made by James Jones in Virginia.
FyldeFamily.jpg
2023NewDulcimer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

Bass and tenor trombones are my everyday instruments, though I do own a Euphonium and have played that on some dates as well. I used to play trumpet quite a bit, before I retired from teaching high school band in 2018 after a 34 year career. I played drum set as a kid, playing practice sessions with my parents, who were professional musicians. Once my high school jazz band had a paid gig and our drummer was sick. I subbed the two hour gig on set; the kids ceremoniously "fired" the poor drummer (whom was genuinely ill that evening) and '"hired" me! :lol:
Xtroid

Post by Xtroid »

I picked up French Horn and trumpet a few months back, and I also do some piano and guitar on the side, but not often.
I hope that once I get my braces off, my playing level will skyrocket. :biggrin:
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

euphonium, tuba, piano, button accordion
TomWest

Post by TomWest »

Eb alto sax.
reznet

Post by reznet »

In jazz band in college, I'd get jealous of the cool bass lines on funk tunes, so when I graduated and had burnt out on trombone, I got a cheap guitar bass from a pawn shop and taught myself to play. Fast forward 20 years and I play bass more than trombone, but nothing will ever sound as good as a trombone choir.

Return to “Tangents”