ITF disrespect

Gribnes

ITF disrespect

Post by Gribnes »

Tonight at the Graduate Hotel by the ITF venue Marshall Gilkes was performing at the bar but nobody paid any respect. The bar was chaos and entropy and while I was 20' from the band stand I could barely hear for the loud shouting.
This was nearly 100% ITF members drowning out a Marshall Gilkes performance...had to leave. Unbelievable..a bunch of BS..
Doug Elliott

Re: ITF disrespect

Post by Doug Elliott »

I guess nothing's changed, the same thing happened last year with Bill Watrous, Bob McChesney, Scott Whitfield, and Dick Nash.
But instead of leaving, I stood up and yelled at the audience. It's on YouTube.

I actually meant to go tonight but got caught up in other things.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Gribnes

Post by Gribnes »

If this happened in NYC there would be a few patrons in the ally whimpering....but I'm too old for that
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Well I might have made a scene so maybe it's better I didn't go.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Gribnes

Post by Gribnes »

Ya can't reason with unreasonable people..
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Gribnes wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:28 am Ya can't reason with unreasonable people..
I would think that us trombone players would have more class than that, especially when it is a fellow trombone player on stage! I've been to variety of concerts large and small where other patrons should have stayed home. Worst was Roberta Flack trying to sing "Killing Me Softly" at an outdoor venue with a tableful of drunks in the front row yukking it up. Other was the summer venue of the Cleveland Orchestra - four people came down the aisle talking and laughing during the performance. The conductor cut off the orchestra, turned around, crossed his arms, and glared at the Neatherthals until they noticed what was going on, shut up, and sit down. In my opinion the ushers should have ejected them, period.

Zip ties and duct tape. Just sayin'...
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I saw Wycliffe at the SCMEA convention in February. They had a ball room set up with a few hundred chairs in front and tables in back. People in the chairs were being quiet and listening, but the people in the back were drinking and chatting the whole time. Wycliffe was getting visibly ticked off. He made some comment between every song about how it would be nice if people shut up and listened, but many never did.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Happened a few years ago at Eastman too. Bill Reichenbach (remembering right?) was doing a set and that happened but it also turned into an open mic too. Would have been fine for like, a tune or if it was spread out but a bunch of people did like every song and took a bunch of choruses.
kbryson

Post by kbryson »

I wasn't at ITF this year, but I remember the show last year in LA and it was super annoying. After Doug stood up to reprimand the crowd I remember someone countering with something along the lines of "relax, it's a club!". Perhaps the bigger issue is ITF relegating jazz acts to these after party meet and greets instead of concert halls and main events. Jazz trombonists can't get respect from the jazz community or the trombone community!

Return to “Performance”