Who are your favorite bass trombone players who played on a Elkhart Conn 62H?

Discuss the people that make the music here.
mrdeacon

Who are your favorite bass trombone players who played on a Elkhart Conn 62H?

Post by mrdeacon »

Hi!

I'm interested in who your favorite bass trombone players are who played a Conn Elkhart 62H.

I understand this is kind of a weird question but I'm in particular looking for recordings or names of players who played this model horn. I know most of the studio cats have been played them for eons but I'm mostly interested in orchestral cats.

The only people who I'm familiar with who played a 62H for years are Jeff Reynolds with LA Phil and Bob Hughes with the LSO... but I know there are more! I'm sure there are a number of UK cats who played a 62H that I'm not familiar with.

Thanks!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
sf105

Re: Who are your favorite bass trombone players who played on a Elkhart Conn 62H?

Post by sf105 »

Top of my head, Don Harwood (NYPhil), Hal Janks (Met) owned my 60H for a while, BB McCullogh (Pittsburgh) I think, I've seen one in the pit at Covent Garden (not sure which player), our own @blast from time to time.
mrdeacon

Re: Who are your favorite bass trombone players who played on a Elkhart Conn 62H?

Post by mrdeacon »

Do you remember when Don Harwood used one in the NY Phil? For some reason I thought he was a long time Bach player.

Thanks for the other names!
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I didn’t know Jeff Reynolds played a 62H. He played on a Mt. V Bach modified by Larry Minick for ages, then played Getzen for a while, then played something else. Did he play the 62H in his earlier years?

A little obscure, but Robbie Hioki (Brian Setzer Big Band). Also, some of the LA studio players like Bill Reichenbach, Tony Studd, and others.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

Bob Hughes.

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Kbiggs wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:45 am I didn’t know Jeff Reynolds played a 62H. He played on a Mt. V Bach modified by Larry Minick for ages, then played Getzen for a while, then played something else. Did he play the 62H in his earlier years?
Ooops! I saw something that looking like a Minick and assumed that it was a 62H :pant: Well I guess I can cross Jeff Reynolds off my 62H list then :roll:
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Last edited by mrdeacon on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
jeremyesmith

Post by jeremyesmith »

This is a good post! There are many current guys in the UK playing on 62H's - some are Elkhart, others are not. I own an Elkhart 62H so any information about this horn and its players is wonderful. As far as favorites for me, Bill Reichenbach for sure is at the top of the list. Michael Davis (Hip-Bone) also owns one and plays it when bass is needed. Dan West of Septura Brass (UK) also plays an Elkhart 62H.
Jeremy Smith
Founder/Editor - www.lastrowmusic.com
Bass Trombone - Huntington Symphony Orchestra
Low Brass Professor - Ohio Wesleyan University, Kenyon College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Don Harwood played a Conn 60H (Minick modified to 2 open wrap valves, etc.) for a few years in the early 80's. He also played a Holton 185 early in his career. Jeff Reynolds played a Conn for part of his career (see it on the Summitt Records excerpt CD) but it was an earlier model than the 62H.

Jim Scott
Savio

Post by Savio »

Bob Hughes! Sad that this trombone was only produced for only 3 years. Lucky i have one of them! Its just to enjoy...
Leif
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Thanks for all the responses!

Let's open this up to also include musicians who play Elkhart Conn 62H shaped objects and other TIS basses!

Of course almost all the LA studio cats play 62H's or 62H shaped objects like Kanstul or Greenhoes. I've seen Rath TIS horns and played on one but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use one...

Phil Keen uses a Kanstul 1662i in the Long Beach Symphony. George Roberts of course played a Conn 70H on his numerous film sessions and jazz recordings. There are also those recordings of Jeff Reynolds on his Conn Fuchs...

Are there any other current pro players outside of LA using TIS style horns? Greenhoes... Rath... whatever comes to mind!
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

I am sure blast could offer some more insight.

Many of the wonderful recording of the Covent Garden Opera in London feature an all Conn section as well.

Outside of the UK this horn does not seem to find a lot of recognition, at least not in the classical world.

Being a player in the USA, the equipment I use and see used here is very different. I am not always sure as to whether all of the developments in the trombone making industry in the last 30 years have been a blessing or a curse ....but that is a different topic for a different discussion. :-)
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

George Flynn!
bellend

Post by bellend »

Rob O'Neil BBC Symphony orchestra
Carter1016

Post by Carter1016 »

If I'm not mistaken, Pete Norton in Cincinatti played on a 62 for some time. I'm not sure if he still does anymore
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Carter1016 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:27 pm If I'm not mistaken, Pete Norton in Cincinatti played on a 62 for some time. I'm not sure if he still does anymore
Yes he did. Recently switched to Yamaha.
Massimo69

Post by Massimo69 »

Paul Faulise played 62h minick custom, Bill Reichenbach, Tommy Mitchell,
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

I play a Minick customized 62h when I do bass work. It's such an amazing instrument, I feel almost guilty owning it as a double!
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
EdwardSolomon

Post by EdwardSolomon »

There are several here in the UK who still use the old Conn 62H (besides me).

Rob O'Neill - BBC Symphony Orchestra
Keith McNicoll - Royal Opera House Covent Garden
James Buckle - Philharmonic Orchestra
Josh Cirtina - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Dave Vines - City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
Sam Taber - recently won the South Denmark Philharmonic Orchestra position
Andy Wood - freelance/John Wilson Orchestra
Andy McKay - freelance
Andy Crompton - freelance
blast

Post by blast »

I think Ed has covered the modern UK players who play Elkhart 62H trombones. One of my ex students, currently working in Spain has had Matt at M&W trombones rebuild his Elkie with M&W valves. The result is the best Conn bass I've ever tried...and it's pretty !!!
Of the older players in UK there was Harry Spain of the RPO who mostly played a 60H but also had a 62H. Noel Abel of the LPO who played a 60H and Dick Tyack BBC SO then Covent Garden who used a 62H. Look for RPO and LPO recordings from the 1970s for those sounds.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Simon Minshall is on one with M&W valves, correct?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:45 am Simon Minshall is on one with M&W valves, correct?
Yup

FWLIW, if not contra the above, the last time I saw Andy Wood with a bass it was a TIB indy Greenhoe of some sort
EdwardSolomon

Post by EdwardSolomon »

I forgot to add Josh Hayward - RAF Central Band.

Simon Minshall doesn't play a 62H. I think he plays a 60H modified with independent valves.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I think not mentioned yet:
Although certainly more known for his high ballad and jazz playing, Alan Kaplan sounds absolutely fantastic on his Elkhart 62h!
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

EdwardSolomon wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:24 am
Simon Minshall doesn't play a 62H. I think he plays a 60H modified with independent valves.
Now that's splitting hairs!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Simon's horn was a 60H, modified to independent M&W valves.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
henri77

Post by henri77 »

There are many great players but Don Harwood is my fav one.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:10 am
EdwardSolomon wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:24 am
Now that's splitting hairs!
I think it's more like splitting triggers :mrgreen:
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I play a Schilke-Greenhoe TIS in-line.

Fridge
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Sat next to Ed last night. His 62H is an excellent horn, very open and responsive without being either dull or blatty (and he sounds pretty good on it).

S
EdwardSolomon wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:59 am There are several here in the UK who still use the old Conn 62H (besides me).

Rob O'Neill - BBC Symphony Orchestra
Keith McNicoll - Royal Opera House Covent Garden
James Buckle - Philharmonic Orchestra
Josh Cirtina - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Dave Vines - City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
Sam Taber - recently won the South Denmark Philharmonic Orchestra position
Andy Wood - freelance/John Wilson Orchestra
Andy McKay - freelance
Andy Crompton - freelance
tomato

Post by tomato »

the best trombone player on 62h was Allen Ostrader new york philharmonic 1968 i own that horn i got it from my teacher Fred braderment manhattan school of music 1977 Fred got it as trade .he was playing the New york Opera also herd Besson freelace New york

Return to “Musicians”