Versions of the Bach 16

hyperbolica

Versions of the Bach 16

Post by hyperbolica »

Can someone please help me understand the versions of the Bach 16? I know the basic 16 is ~495/509, the M is straight 509. And then there's the lt16m with the lightweight slide.

But are there 16m without the "m" on the bell engraving, or without the "lt" on the slide?

Was there a version where "m" meant slide bore and bigger neck pipe? Any other variations of this model, I'm not a big Bach follower.
Thx.
bimmerman

Re: Versions of the Bach 16

Post by bimmerman »

here's my understanding:

Bach 16: .495/508, standard neckpipes.
Bach LT16: same but with optional LTW slide.

Bach LT16M, up to ~mid-80s: .508 single bore, LTW slide, standard neckpipe. Bell is marked 16, slide 16M.
Bach LT16M, 80s onwards: same as above but with larger neckpipe. Bell and slide marked 16M

On top of those variants, you could also have a gold brass bell (eg 16G) or a Sterling Plus bell.

I have one of each of the LT16M eras. I don't notice a huge difference in the neckpipe.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Ok, thanks, thats pretty much what I was looking for.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I have a Lt16MG from the `90s with the open gooseneck and had an earlier Lt16MG with a standard 16G bell with the standard gooseneck and there was a huge difference
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

dukesboneman wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 am I have a Lt16MG from the `90s with the open gooseneck and had an earlier Lt16MG with a standard 16G bell with the standard gooseneck and there was a huge difference
So I assume you prefer the newer one? Do you think keeping the bell under 8" with the bigger slide and neckpipe is a plus or minus for the model?
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`m not sure what you mean by a bigger slide?. With the Lt16MG , the open neck pipe or gooseneck really makes a difference. I have 2 12`s and on them I like the "tighter" gooseneck.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I always felt like the open gooseneck was a bit too open. But I've never actually owned one.
I think it was in the late 70's when they changed that.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

What 16 configuration was offered in the Mt Vernon era?
LarryPrestonRoberson

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

The LT16M is .509" bore. Mine dates to the 80s and I believe it is the regular gooseneck. Or, at least it lacks the 'M' designation on the bell section. Although, I bought it secondhand; So, I suppose it might not be the original bell section.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

LarryPrestonRoberson wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:29 am Mine dates to the 80s and I believe it is the regular gooseneck. Or, at least it lacks the 'M' designation on the bell section.
This is correct. No "M" on the bell, no open gooseneck.

I have one of these. I love it.

Andrew
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

When I bought my used Bach from Dillons a few years ago, it had a standardweight 70’s vintage 16 slide (duobore) but came with a 16M bell.

Nice combination, but the slide crook developed some red rot and needed to be changed. So, we decided to put on a 3B crook.

Created an even nicer horn then...but the best thing I’ve done is to have recently put in a Brass Ark 32H lead pipe ( ordered to fit the top .495 slide )

Now.. a real nice horn! Thanks to Noah at Brass Ark for the great work.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Cmillar wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:56 pm When I bought my used Bach from Dillons a few years ago, it had a standardweight 70’s vintage 16 slide (duobore) but came with a 16M bell.
Nice combination, but the slide crook developed some red rot and needed to be changed. So, we decided to put on a 3B crook.
Created an even nicer horn then...but the best thing I’ve done is to have recently put in a Brass Ark 32H lead pipe ( ordered to fit the top .495 slide )
Now.. a real nice horn! Thanks to Noah at Brass Ark for the great work.
The rounded King crook really lets this horn sing, IMHO! And helps lighten it a bit due to no ferrules!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

Yes Eric...the 3B crook is great. Makes for a very versatile horn.

And with the 32H lead-pipe!....yeah baby.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I had an Lt16M for a number of years with 3B crooks on the hand slide and the tuning slide and a Kanstul/Herrick H8
leadpipe. OMG !! The horn wass soooo open and responsive. The upper range was nuts. I had an otheer Lt16MG for a while with an Edwards slide crook and an Edwards #2 leadpipe - not so good,
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

with the 3B crook mod, does the slide need to be widened or narrowed?

It'd be pretty neat to just swap outer slides between a modded and unmodified one.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

Don't believe so. I had mine modified/repaired when I was in Toronto by famed repairman Ron Partch / Partch BrassWind (he's also a great bass trombone player!)

I think he just soldered it right in place. He never mentioned any adjustments had to be made. He re-aligned slide, etc. and it's been beautiful.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Great info! Thanks for sharing.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb

Return to “Instruments”