Conn 6h

skaskaster

Conn 6h

Post by skaskaster »

Any thoughts about this instrument as a horn for jazz/commercial/ska music? I heard Al Grey played one of those, before moving to King. And whats the difference between regular 6h and the "Victor" one? Which one is better?
Conn 6H
King 4B/F - waiting for its time in the closet.
BGuttman

Re: Conn 6h

Post by BGuttman »

The 6H was named Victor at some point. The model is discontinued; replaced by the 100H.
The 6H was a great jazz horn. Lots of people still use them. As with all older horns, check condition carefully before putting down your money.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

If you want to hear the definitive 6H sound, just listen to Frank Rosolino.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

chromebone wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm If you want to hear the definitive 6H sound, just listen to Frank Rosolino.
And I was there, naively thinking it was just the definitive Frank Rosolino sound.... :shuffle:
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

skaskaster wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 am Any thoughts about this instrument as a horn for jazz/commercial/ska music? I heard Al Grey played one of those, before moving to King. And whats the difference between regular 6h and the "Victor" one? Which one is better?
A lot of the "early" notable jazz trombonists played on the 6H. They are very good jazz horns, and just fine for commercial/ska, etc.. They have a nice meaty sound; verticalness, and feel easy to play.
I have one with modified sleeves, which reduces the weight.
skaskaster

Post by skaskaster »

Ok, so can anyone help me to identify the year when my trombone was made? Just recieved the "Victor" one and it say GH 9700XX on the slide, and there is no S/N on the bell part.
The serial number chart on the conn-selmer couldn't help me

UPD.
Never mind, just found the info about Conn S/N :good:
"CODE SYSTEM

First character (letter) indicates decade, "G" for 1970's, "H" for 1980's.
etc.

Second character (letter) indicates month of year, "A" for January, "B" for
February, etc.

Third character (number) indicates year of decade reading directly.

Fourth character (number) indicates instrument group as follows:

1- Cornet
2-Trumpet
3-Alto
4-French Horn
5-Mellophone
6-Valve Trombone
7-Slide Trombone
8-Baritone-Euphonium
9-Tuba
0-Sousaphone"
Conn 6H
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

chromebone wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm If you want to hear the definitive 6H sound, just listen to Frank Rosolino.
+1 Rosolino is one of my favorites and I love listening to him. Used a 6H!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Bonephilly

Post by Bonephilly »

A good 6h can be hard to find. I prefer the ones from the late 50’s.
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

On the old forum there was a thread discussing that Rosolino played a custom Olds
for a while...
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

E.g. here:
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

I don‘t mean the short mentioning in the „joining the Olds crowd“ thread. It was rather detailed, written mostly by Ben Griffin but I don‘t seem to find it/him anymore.
havard

Post by havard »

i own a 65 6h and a Yamaha 891z . the Yamaha has easier respons but a clearly prefer the 6h sound . you can create any sound you want on it .

Excactly what sam Burtis describe in the otj :

"sabutin:
6Hs and other 6H-like horns are a little...drier...sounding than equivalent Kings and Bachs. A little more austere. Strict. Rigorous. I mean that in a good way. Like wines, trombone sounds can have some amount of sweetness...I hear that in King sounds. They can also be very rich...Bach sounds.

Or...they can simply be there. Like Conns.

I went to a thesuarus and searched the words "austere", "strict" and "rigorous".

Here are some of the results that seem to fit:

ascetic, earnest, exacting, formal, hard, inexorable, serious, stringent, unrelenting, exacting, firm, no-nonsense, scrupulous, straight, stringent, tough, accurate, correct, definite, exacting, meticulous, precise, rugged, scrupulous, stern, uncompromising

Like dat.

6Hs do not give easily to the casual listener. No emotional "ooohs" and "aaahs" result from their basic timbre. (Unless of course one is a trombonist and is interested in sound of a certain kind.) Dorsey's "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" on a 6H rather than on a King? Maybe not quite so popular. Watrous's ballad and vibrato/mic approach on a 6H rather than on a Bach? Not quite so...gooey. J. J.'s basic (and gorgeous) sound on a 3B? Maybe not quite so pleasing in some respects.

Like dat, too.

I love 'em, myself. That hardcore Conn sound, through just about all sizes. All of my Shires horns? Just attempts at improving some aspects of great Conns.

But then, for me personally...that list of synonyms plus the words "austere", "strict" and "rigorous"?

ascetic, earnest, exacting, formal, hard, inexorable, serious, stringent, unrelenting, exacting, firm, no-nonsense, scrupulous, straight, stringent, tough, accurate, correct, definite, exacting, meticulous, precise, rugged, scrupulous, stern, uncompromising

Sounds suspiciously like a self-portrait.

On my good days.

Yup.

So it goes.

We are what we eat? (Or is it "We eat what we are?" Hmmmmmmm...)

Whatever.

We play what we are, too.

Yup.

.S. I wold like to add to this that Conn small bores seem much more ..."American" in sound to me. Old American. Gazebo bands American. Sousa American. Early Teagarden and Dorsey American. Swing era American. Great Depression American. Ahhhh...you know. When America was young and struggling upward? Yup. That "America." Dunno why...Kings have been around just as long. Something about the backbone of the sound, I guess.

I have been collecting William Gedney photos recently.

Here's one of his grandfather.

Looks like my grandfather.

That America.

Bet on it.
skaskaster

Post by skaskaster »

Thanks for all the answers!
So after 2 months of playing on my 6h I've picked up my friend's king 3b today which he bought recently. The king is the gold brass one from the early 80's and mine is from 1979 with no lacquer. And after 10 minutes of playing I decided that the 6h sound is more suitable for me. As it was said above the sound is more "strict" in a good way. It can be loud without "cracking" so I can shout with passion lol. Its strange for me now that kings 2b/3b were more popular than conns.
Conn 6H
Grah

Post by Grah »

At one time in the 1950s the 6H was used by the whole of the Stan Kenton trombone section. At this time Conn said that it was used and preferred by many of the nation's top professionals in TV and radio. They also said that "this fine trombone has a specially designed modified large straight bore that's ideal for all types of playing". I have read recently that this version of the 6H, which is the same as mine, has famous "Airfloat" slides with long slide bearing for fast, positive action and smoother 6th or 7th positions. I was told by Bill Lewington in London, where I purchased mine, that the special slide length and the tuning was designed to enable normal tuning away from 1st position, so that the Kenton players could use vibrato in 1st position. Certainly that might have been true for the soloists but the Kenton band trombonists did not use vibrato when playing as a section.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

Bonephilly wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:22 pm A good 6h can be hard to find. I prefer the ones from the late 50’s.
I have a 1957 6H that used to belong to Les Benedict. Killer horn!!
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
timbone

Post by timbone »

Wayne Henderson!
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

skaskaster wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:44 pm Its strange for me now that kings 2b/3b were more popular than conns.
In my opinion, the golden era of the King trombones was in the 50's/early 60's~ the HN White era. I don't think they really compare to the King trombones that later came out, especially the version thats labeled 2102, 2103, etc....or even the modern day version.
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

Arrowhead wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm
skaskaster wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:44 pm Its strange for me now that kings 2b/3b were more popular than conns.
In my opinion, the golden era of the King trombones was in the 50's/early 60's~ the HN White era. I don't think they really compare to the King trombones that later came out, especially the version thats labeled 2102, 2103, etc....or even the modern day version.
I played a King Silvertone/2B combo that was on loan from a friend. 1961 2B slide, on a 1941 Silvertone bell. Best horn I EVER played!!! Even better than my 57 6H.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
bellend

Post by bellend »

Best 6H I ever played was actually one made in Mexico ???? and was actually a 5H? or 6HlT ? just went and went but sadly was not for sale.

Having seen many Elkhart era 6H's come through in the repair shop it was interesting that the thickness of the bells can vary a lot unlike 8H's which were all absolutely the same. For me the thinners ones seemed better but I would say try as many as you can.

BellEnd
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

I once possessed 7 6H's. Bought for my self and a few pro friends. They were all from 1955 until 1965.
Finally I kept four of them. Each time I could buy one in a better shape.
After a few years I sold two of them. So I play on two these days: an ugly one and one like new.
Both are my favourites. I tried a lot of brands new and second hand. But for me the 6H is perfect.

Kind regards, Will
SurreyBone

Post by SurreyBone »

Thanks Skaskaster for the post decyphering the 6H serial number - I too have a GH 97XXXX Conn 6H I bought on ebay I now know it was made in Agust 1979, thanks! On my horn most of the lacquer has worn, so it looks down at heel.......but plays beautifully!

I am now looking for a second horn to play lead in a big band as a spare/standby and am thinking of a Coprion Bell horn, as reading the reviews they have great projection for playing lead.

Looking at the model numbers a 10H is identical to the 6H apart from the bell material (but there are none that I can find for sale) and there are a number of 18H's out there at very reasonable prices - but I thought the Director line of instruments was Conn's student models. There are also some 12H's which according to the Conn Loyalist Model List both the 12H and 18H have a 2 1/2 bore whereas the 6H and 10H have a 3 bore.

Could someone help me with the characteristics of each so that I can make a decision on what to buy as in the age of the internet you can't try before you buy.

Many Thanks
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

SurreyBone wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:08 am
Could someone help me with the characteristics of each so that I can make a decision on what to buy as in the age of the internet you can't try before you buy.

Many Thanks
I'm not sure I'd use a 10h for lead. Solos yes. I owned one for a number of years, and loved it, but when it came down to it, I never played it on gigs. It starts out dark and creamy, but when you lean into it, it gets very bright. Described in some of the model ID sites as "Uncle Cope, the manic depressive relative of the 6h". I can kind of see where they're coming from.

The 10h comes and goes in fads. Sometimes you can find a lot of them for sale, and sometimes not. Sometimes they command a high price, and sometimes not.

18h is a student horn, and you might have to be careful about the era of the horn, because I think the model number has different characteristics in different eras. 12h is the pro version of the 18h, and is probably the best of the 3, and definitely more plentiful than the 10h.

If you want something with projection, get a 48h, you'll never want anything else. That's the loudest horn Ive ever played. I've had several. The older ones are said to be coprion with nickel plate. These are great horns, especially for playing outside, marching, anywhere you need some extra punch. Plus, they have some nice features like grip gussets and lightweight slide. If you like the 6h but you need more projection, the 48h is the thing. 48h is plentiful, but they tend to go for a little more money than a 6h.
SurreyBone

Post by SurreyBone »

Thanks hyperbolica!
JohntheTheologian

Post by JohntheTheologian »

I understand that many guys paired 48H slides with 6H bells. I own a 48H and love the LW slide. I owned a 6h years ago, but I can't remember a lot about it because I was a young player. I would like to try a 10H bell with my 48H slide some time, but the recent ones I've seen seemed to be in the pricey phase.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I was also going to ask about the 6h vs 48h...what’s the reason the 6h is far more popular and common given the 48h was the ‘top of the line’ horn?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I imagine the popularity came down to 2 things - price and the 48h being kind of a niche horn, while the 6h is more of an all purpose instrument. Plus the 6h was produced for more years than the 48h. Given the choice, I'd probably pick a 48h, although I think most people would pick the 6h. Both are really great horns in their best examples.

My 10h had a wide crook slide, which I liked. I traded my 10h and a 48h for a nearly new Yamaha 891z, also a really wonderful horn. But the small bore I wound up keeping was a Shires Michael Davis Plus (509 bore). I've got horns from several makers, and Shires isn't necessarily my favorite, but the MD+ is a great horn, and can change personality with a leadpipe.
txtimmy

Post by txtimmy »

New to the forum, but I would also put out there that the 48H is a great alternative if you see it out there and are looking for a small bore or a jazz horn. It was very amenable to playing concert band, and orchestral music when I needed too. I really like the sound for the interior parts or jazz solos as well. For me it doesn't have the cut I want for the lead part, but that is why I own a King 2B. I think both the 6H and 48H fit in a middle ground between the King 2B and 3B.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

6h's are very different over the years. I have three of them. One Victor from the 90ies, one "Three Marching Men" from the 50ies and one silver plated from the 30ies with 7.5" bell. The newer were 8". They play very differently and the best is the one from the 50ies but I happen to have a King 2b slide with Conn tenon and when I match this King slide with the oldest one from the 30ies it becomes the best horn no question about it, not at all close to the original that uses a very heavy slide.

/Tom
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

SurreyBone wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:08 am Thanks Skaskaster for the post decyphering the 6H serial number - I too have a GH 97XXXX Conn 6H I bought on ebay I now know it was made in Agust 1979, thanks! On my horn most of the lacquer has worn, so it looks down at heel.......but plays beautifully!

I am now looking for a second horn to play lead in a big band as a spare/standby and am thinking of a Coprion Bell horn, as reading the reviews they have great projection for playing lead.

Looking at the model numbers a 10H is identical to the 6H apart from the bell material (but there are none that I can find for sale) and there are a number of 18H's out there at very reasonable prices - but I thought the Director line of instruments was Conn's student models. There are also some 12H's which according to the Conn Loyalist Model List both the 12H and 18H have a 2 1/2 bore whereas the 6H and 10H have a 3 bore.

Many Thanks
You may just want to go to a 12H, 4H or 24H (there's a few others as well, but more rare and hard to find).
I'd like to add, you can make any slide to be lightweight. One doesn't need to grab a 48H slide, etc....
skaskaster

Post by skaskaster »

Bumping this thread, dedicated to one of the magnificent horns ever created!
I've seen some posts here, where people said that thay combined the small bore kings slides with Conn 6h bell.
Are they are so easy to do so without tech? And only 2b slides? 3b slide won't be easy to combine?
Conn 6H
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

A 2B or 3B slide will need some modification to fit a 6H. The bell nut on the 6H is on the bell, while the bell nut on the Kings is on the slide.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

King slide tenons (the part that sticks out the slide that has a ring on it on King slides) appear to be a separate piece so a tech should be able to cut it off and... my guess is braze(?) or at least solder a Conn one in its place. Some slides that is more difficult to do to because the cork barrel and tenon are a single, machined piece.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

skaskaster wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:17 am I've seen some posts here, where people said that thay combined the small bore kings slides with Conn 6h bell.
Not sure what would be the benefit of such a (somewhat complex) swap. :idk: Conn 6H slides are actually pretty good, and well-balanced to the bell.

Some (including Dick Nash) have put a King [3B] crook onto a another brand [Bach] slide - but that's an easier task than changing a tenon.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Did Conn make anything that small? The King 2B slide is pretty unique with the... .481 or .484 upper and .490 lower. (I think those numbers are right). It might be more accurate to think of it as what advantage does a 6H bell have over a 2B bell, or a 2B+ or 3B bell. JJ Johnson did the latter... a 2B slide on a 3B bell iirc. I'm pulling these specs out of air so I might be totally wrong about it but the main difference on paper between a 6H bell and a 3B bell would be the unsoldered bell bead... otherwise both are fairly light two-piece bells. Then of course there are other differences like the overall length and taper in the tuning slide. That is something I can't even hazard a guess about the differences in.

But then when you compare say a 2B to a 3B bell, the 2B bell is certainly smaller so I can see where someone would want the larger flare, etc.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Matt K wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:23 am Did Conn make anything that small? ... the main difference on paper between a 6H bell and a 3B bell would be the unsoldered bell bead...
The 4h, 24h, 12h I think were all 0.484".

The other big difference between the Kings and the Conns is the shape of the crooks - single radius vs flatter multi-radius.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Oh yeah, duh. That was a boneheaded statement. I suppose one could have gotten a 4H slide and a 6H bell. It probably was more a mater of what was available.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:47 am
Matt K wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:23 am Did Conn make anything that small? ... the main difference on paper between a 6H bell and a 3B bell would be the unsoldered bell bead...
The 4h, 24h, 12h I think were all 0.484".

The other big difference between the Kings and the Conns is the shape of the crooks - single radius vs flatter multi-radius.
The 2H was smaller still (0.459"?).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

Bet you didn't know most 6H and 2B tuning slides are interchangeable! If you have both, try it!
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:54 am The 2H was smaller still (0.459"?).
.458". That and the Bach 4 (.468") feel like blowing into a straw they're so small. Definitely a unique sound though.
GLNY71tbone

Post by GLNY71tbone »

Hi There,

Other than elementary school, I was never a 'Conn' man. However, as a comeback player, I've been seeking out the exact combo of horn and mouthpiece that I feel would work for me. I nailed the mouthpiece by pulling the trigger on a Greg Black mouthpiece last week. I vowed never to spend that sort of $ on a mere mouthpiece, but you can read my post about that under 'Greg Black'.

I was playing on a Jupiter 1028 with gold bell. Very pretty horn I bought used in like- new condition. But it wasn't doing it for me. It'd be a great lead horn or solo horn(especially when mic'd), but for me wasn't as free- blowing as I wanted/needed it to be.

I had been tossing a number of horns around that I wanted to try, a Conn 6H being one. I once tried a dude's 6H while waiting for a parade to start, and MAN, what a response. I could hear myself all the way down the street .

Yesterday, I drove down to Dillon Music in Woodbrodge, NJ. Tried a Bach 16M, a Bach 36, a Besson 900, a Conn 78H, and a Conn 6H. Man the 6H fit like a glove. Free- blowing, accurate partials, ability to play softly and then be hammered as well. I traded in the Jupiter, and played a gig that same night(last night). Love the 6H. I'm no longer 'not a Conn man'.

Hope this helps anyone considering a 6H. Peace.
gregwaits

Post by gregwaits »

Oslide wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:56 pm E.g. here:
He’s actually playing his Olds Custom on the Jazz Scene recording.
gregwaits

Post by gregwaits »

WillydeWoofer wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:42 pm I tried a lot of brands new and second hand. But for me the 6H is perfect.

Kind regards, Will
Same. My very first trombone when I started out at 12 years old was a used 6H.
skaskaster

Post by skaskaster »

ImageImageImage

My local antique shop had some "fast patina" liquids, and a metal wax, so I purchased these, and my main axe looks like this now. Love my 6h more than ever.
Conn 6H

Return to “Instruments”