Phone spam crash

whitbey

Phone spam crash

Post by whitbey »

I have been getting spam phone calls that seem to have the ability to crash the call I am on. Can't imagine it is so you would answer there call as no one ever is there. The oddity is the crash. I cannot think of anyway they could crash your phone but as this has happened several dozen times now it is more then a coincidence. The numbers are odd too. 248/1##-####. The second three digits run like 193, 179, 162, 111, 122, 188. So the CID does stand out. I use a VOIP system and have been blocking the numbers as they happen. That slowed it down a lot but now I have had it happen with other numbers and even a few 800 #'s

Since there is no one real phone company I also have not found a place to complain to that would have any power to make a change. Does any one know of such?
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
hyperbolica

Re: Phone spam crash

Post by hyperbolica »

I would try different voip software. Or maybe purge and reinstall your system. Plus, unless you get a lot of calls from strangers, you can block anything that isn't in your contacts. There are also more sophisticated blocking apps that use a crowdsourced blacklist. I get a lot less cell phone spam since getting a new blocking app.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

New phone scam. I am a realtor so I return all calls. I have found several times now when I call back from a spam phone call that the real owner of the phone did not call. Some scammer was spoofing there CID when they called you.
I still have not figured out what the scammers are really looking for when they make random calls.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think they're just verifying live numbers for their lists
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

whitbey wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:18 pm New phone scam. I am a realtor so I return all calls. I have found several times now when I call back from a spam phone call that the real owner of the phone did not call.
I just had it happen in reverse. I returned a call, only to find out that that person had received a call from my number and returned it.
jrobin9

Post by jrobin9 »

Spoofing caller id is illegal. FCC recently proposed 120 mil fine for one company/guy in FL and another got an 80+ mil fine for another company not sure it will help but at least some effort is being made.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

jrobin9 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:05 am Spoofing caller id is illegal. FCC recently proposed 120 mil fine for one company/guy in FL and another got an 80+ mil fine for another company not sure it will help but at least some effort is being made.
That is a good thing. But the FCC seems so detached. Not like you could call them very easy.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Technology”