Conn 62H bass trombone bell compatibility

ebrenner

Conn 62H bass trombone bell compatibility

Post by ebrenner »

Which bass trombone bell sections will work with a Conn SL6262 slide?
elmsandr

Re: Conn 62H bass trombone bell compatibility

Post by elmsandr »

Getzen 1052/1062.

Not sure of any others. Conns will depend on vintage and length, but that may or may not matter to you.

Cheers,
Andy
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Should work with all Conns, including side tuning bell sections (so, the fabled "no tuning" option).
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
blast

Post by blast »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm Should work with all Conns, including side tuning bell sections (so, the fabled "no tuning" option).
Will not work with 'long slide' models... especially late 70H. Also 71H, 72H, 73H.. also poss 83H... otherwise....

Chris
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

blast wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm Should work with all Conns, including side tuning bell sections (so, the fabled "no tuning" option).
Will not work with 'long slide' models... especially late 70H. Also 71H, 72H, 73H.. also poss 83H... otherwise....

Chris
Are the connectors different? I swear I swapped some things around with a 70H, but I could be misremembering.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The SL6262 is designed a bit shorter than the slide normally supplied with the 70, 71, 72, and 73. This means that the bell section of these horns is a shade short and the combination may be unacceptably sharp.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Well, yes, but it'll fit. I wouldn't use one as a suitable replacement on anything except a modern 62 or 110-112.

But it'll fit on more than that.
PhilipEdCarlson

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm fabled "no tuning" option
Before now, I have only heard one other person mention this. Would the 70H Bell/72H be the best option for it?

I borrowed a double Hagman valved 72H for a week and LOVED it! I dream of having something similar with the 72H slide/70H bell.
the
7270H2HI
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

PhilipEdCarlson wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:15 am
Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm fabled "no tuning" option
Before now, I have only heard one other person mention this. Would the 70H Bell/72H be the best option for it?

I borrowed a double Hagman valved 72H for a week and LOVED it! I dream of having something similar with the 72H slide/70H bell.
the
7270H2HI
Oh, no. I think everyone would agree that a TIS slide should go with a TIS bell, and vise versa. You'll miss some kind of option when you have no tuning!
blast

Post by blast »

The SL6262 will FIT all Conn bass trombones with the standard Conn connector. It will not WORK with the designs that have short bell sections.... the instrument would be very very sharp.
The OP asked what would WORK.

Chris
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

At least very sharp is still potentially useable (in a pinch!). Much better than very flat. Can't use that at all. Can always use long positions on a sharp horn. Had to do that once when my main slide was damaged and about to go on stage. Better than no horn, albeit non optimal.
blast

Post by blast »

Okay, I surrender..... you can use it with whatever you like.... there, that's helpful.

Chris
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:38 pm
blast wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 pm Will not work with 'long slide' models... especially late 70H. Also 71H, 72H, 73H.. also poss 83H... otherwise....

Chris
Are the connectors different? I swear I swapped some things around with a 70H, but I could be misremembering.
It's border line unplayable. With a 71H or 72H the 71H tuning slide is basically falling off. I've swapped my Minick slide to use with a friends 71H and it was ridiculously sharp.

Vice versa when I tried the long slide on my Minick it was unplayable flat. It was at least 30 or 40 cents flat with my tuning slide all the way in.

To OP Conn slides fit on Getzen bass trombones. I know some people who have used Conn .562 bass slides on Getzen 1062's because they didn't like the stock dual bore slide.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
afugate

Post by afugate »

blast wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:37 am Okay, I surrender..... you can use it with whatever you like.... there, that's helpful.

Chris
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

--Andy in OKC
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Guys, be realistic. Conn TIS and TIB slides are not compatible. Period.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
MoominDave

Post by MoominDave »

I spent a while using a 72H slide on a 62HCL bell section. It's an amusing discipline to teach yourself never to use 1st position...
Dave Taylor
(not to be confused with other Dave Taylors...)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Woah, hold yer horses everyone! Nobody, as far as I can tell, was suggesting that it's a good idea to play with an incredibly short slide in the long term. But at the same time, acknowledging that there are limited scenario where it might be at least usable or provide useful information.

E.g. you have two slides that will work on your bell, but one is remarkably short. The normal slide gets damaged. You go on stage in five minutes. Having a horn is better than not playing at all.

Second scenario - you have a good bell section and want a slide for it. You find slide parts and are needing to know if it's compatible. Well, it's important to know that the slide tenon will at least fit properly into the bell so that you can either have another one made or have someone convert it into TIS.

The opposite problem, having a slide too long, can be really problematic sine you can't just lower where your positions are. You don't have access to Bb in first! Still the second scenario from above could still yield useful information if you wanted to alter the slide but you wouldn't nearly as readily be able to use it in a pinch as a slide that's too short.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Note: original question was which bell sections work for a Conn 6262 slide. This is a "normal" (i.e. not long) slide. While the older bells like the 72H will mount on the slide tenon, the result will be less than optimal. Probably the original request was what "normal" length bell sections will mate naturally with his slide. Anybody try a Yamaha 612?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

greenbean wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:06 am Guys, be realistic. Conn TIS and TIB slides are not compatible. Period.
Not really true... a TIS slide with the tuning mechanism all the way in is about the same length as a TIB slide. There are sometimes benefits to using a TIS slide on a TIB horn.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Right. But most Conn basses (the ones I have owned) had long slides. I owned a 62H and swapped slides with my 71H and 72H. Definitely a no-go. But perhaps I am over-generalizing sinc e not all Conn slides are long (and bell sections short).
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
MinickLover

Post by MinickLover »

I have an early Texas 62H and its bell is damaged and about to be torn...
Which bell is the best to convert?
I found Shires's bell is shorter than 62H.
How about 2nd Gen 62H?
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

greenbean wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:06 am Guys, be realistic. Conn TIS and TIB slides are not compatible. Period.
Used a Conn 70H slide (1934 Model short) on a Modern 88HO Bell section... Worked really Great... 😉
Savio

Post by Savio »

It's like Chris tell. The answer is simple as that..... unless you want to really struggle with intonasjon?

Leif
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I know this is an ancient thread but it is relevant to me at the moment. I have brain ache, sort this one out for me please. I bought (cheaply) a nice Conn 72H trombone. It turns out the reason (probably) it was cheap is because it turns out I have a 73H slide! I think I'm right in saying that what I have is a short bell model with a long slide model? Please correct me if I am wrong on that. So I think what I am looking for to make a playable instrument (I believe Chris is right in his earlier statement) is a short slide? which is what? Obviously a matching 72H but what other models would have the same slide length?... thanks for your help, I'm not a Conn expert despite having played a few and own a couple... Doug
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

DougHulme wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:49 pm I know this is an ancient thread but it is relevant to me at the moment. I have brain ache, sort this one out for me please. I bought (cheaply) a nice Conn 72H trombone. It turns out the reason (probably) it was cheap is because it turns out I have a 73H slide! I think I'm right in saying that what I have is a short bell model with a long slide model? Please correct me if I am wrong on that.
I'm not sure what the problem is here.

(I think there might be a little confusion in the wording... short bell models and long slide models are the same thing! The bell section is short *because* the slide is long.)

72H and 73H both have the long slide (71H also), so what you have should be fine. Have you checked with a tuner?
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Youre right... I said I had brain ache! If a 73H slide is long and 72H bell is short then its fine, I wasnt thinking. I'll get the tuner out to double check. Thank you for sorting my thinking out :good: ... Doug
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

DougHulme wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:22 am Youre right... I said I had brain ache! If a 73H slide is long and 72H bell is short then its fine, I wasnt thinking. I'll get the tuner out to double check. Thank you for sorting my thinking out :good: ... Doug
71H/72H/73H all have the same length slides. I would lump a 70H into this (despite the tis) but I've yet to own one so I can't say for sure.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Savio

Post by Savio »

I'm little out of topic, and I'm no expert here so take what I say with a grain of salt. I believe the Conn 72h and 70h have same slide length. Therefore their bell have same length and compatibility. The 60h, 62h, 71h, 73h have just a little shorter slide but still longer than most all modern horns. And they should be compatible. Warning, this is my theory, based on my experience. I tried once a 60h slide on a 70h, it played very sharp because the 60h slide is shorter.

The strange thing is there might be exceptions. Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong. I believe all trombones have a standard length so it can tune to a A=440. So length of slide compared to bell is important.

Leif

Return to “Instruments”