Where to get a (used?) 2-valve section for Bach 50B ?

marccromme

Where to get a (used?) 2-valve section for Bach 50B ?

Post by marccromme »

I have an option for a nice Bach 50 B silver plated single valve horn, and would like to know what a suitable 2-valve independent section would cost, and where to get it. Preferably large rotors similar to Greenhoe, Meinl-Schmidt open-flow/truebore, including tubing and slides. Preferably used, preferably from EU to avoid import taxes.

Only place I found on the web is this one...https://www.customtrombones.com/our-products.html

Do you know sources for such an valve assembly?
Matt K
Verified

Re: Where to get a (used?) 2-valve section for Bach 50B ?

Post by Matt K »

M&W do some really superb work and they definitely should be on your radar for a project like this. Not all shops are willing to undertake such work. Nor are all manufacturer willing to work on or supply parts for other manufacturers' horns.

As far as finding used, you can find valve sections on the market, but you do have to be relatively patient. If you want specifically rotors (be it from your list or others), you might have to wait longer. They do come up for sale though. I've acquired a few valve sections that way myself over the years. But even if you get a complete valve section, it isn't necessarily a simple procedure to install it, even if it comes from the same model instrument.

If you're in the EU, you may consider contacting Rath. They may do this kind of work. In fact, I believe the best bass trombone I've ever played was a Bach 50 setup for a Rath tuning slide & Hagmann valve. Unbelievably good playing bass. There are other places that also do some good work in the EU, I'm just less familiar with them. If no one here responds, you might want to also check with the tromboneforum/trombonechat Facebook group and the custom trombones of the world group. There are a number of international people there that have done custom projects in Europe that I've seen that have had some great results.

Fortunately, there are a actually a number of aftermarket valves that are sourced in Europe. You have Meinl-Schmidt as you mentioned as well as Hagmann and Rotax... and probably others that I'm forgetting as well.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Hi Matt - checking out Rath seems a really good idea. I just totally forgot they are UK based. Yes, I am in Denmark, EU. I also did forgot about Rotax. Hmm, I'll have to write them and ask. Thanks for the info!
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Shires valve sections adapt to Bachs rather nicely. I’ve made two different shires sections fit a Bach bass chassis, both fit nicely and left it with a nice reversed tuning slide.

Cheers,
Andy
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Just to let others know: Matt presented me with some good options for used independent valve section Bach+Thayer, and I am currently dealing with the owner of the Bach 50 to see if it plays well and can be had for a decent price to make the indy-rebuild worth the money and effort. I will probably know more in a week and decide how to proceed then.

Return to “Modification & Repair”