Instrument Innovations Rotary valve

Post by dukesboneman »

Has anyone tried one of these?
Feedback? Opinions?
Thanks
Burgerbob

Re: Instrument Innovations Rotary valve

Post by Burgerbob »

I have one on my 42. I love it. Not as open as I thought it would be, but very fast and quiet and really made this 42 a great one.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

I had a new wrap built around Mike and Kim's valve. The wrap is configured so that it is compatible with Greenhoe bell mounts. I use a Greenhoe yellow bell, Bach 42 Friedman bell, a nickel 42 bell and a 36G bell with the wrap. In my opinion it is the best valve on the market. It is open and very centered. So much of how a valve feels/plays is affected by the rest of the trombone, so it's difficult to say what is the valve and what is everything else. I have been fortunate to have owned and played a Rath R4F with Rotax, Bach 42 Hagmann, Bach Artisan, Shires rotary and a Greenhoe. The instrument innovations valve is as good as any of these valves. At their price point I wouldn't hesitate to say try it..
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I'm going to be making one for a Shires bass in the not too distant future. Will report back when that's finished!
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

I have one on a recently-acquired Bach 42. The conversion was done by Eric Edwards and the original closed wrap endures.

When I received it from the previous owner, I had major issues with the valve binding. I get the impression that the p/o did not take very good care of the instrument. I contacted Mike (owner) at instrument innovations and he immediately overnighted new bearing plates with bearings pressed in to me. One of the ball bearings was bad, and the new bearings cleared up some of the issues. The valve body was rubbing on the casing, and would bind in certain conditions (irrespective of oiling). Mike offered to pay to have me ship him the whole bell section so he could fix it, but I bathed the section in vinegar and the valve is much freer now. It still rubs occasionally, but doesn't bind. Quick action. If I can afford to go without the horn for a couple of days/week I might take Mike up on his offer and ship the section off to him.

In short, Instrument Innovations can pride themselves on EXCELLENT customer service. I chose not to avail myself of the full extent of their offers, but their product is solid. The fine tolerances mean that oiling the valve is ESSENTIAL to preventing corrosion, as apparently the oxide layer can build up thick enough to cause the valve to bind.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

paulyg wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:26 pm I have one on a recently-acquired Bach 42. The conversion was done by Eric Edwards and the original closed wrap endures.
When I received it from the previous owner, I had major issues with the valve binding. I get the impression that the p/o did not take very good care of the instrument. I contacted Mike (owner) at instrument innovations and he immediately overnighted new bearing plates with bearings pressed in to me. One of the ball bearings was bad, and the new bearings cleared up some of the issues. The valve body was rubbing on the casing, and would bind in certain conditions (irrespective of oiling). Mike offered to pay to have me ship him the whole bell section so he could fix it, but I bathed the section in vinegar and the valve is much freer now. It still rubs occasionally, but doesn't bind. Quick action. If I can afford to go without the horn for a couple of days/week I might take Mike up on his offer and ship the section off to him.In short, Instrument Innovations can pride themselves on EXCELLENT customer service. I chose not to avail myself of the full extent of their offers, but their product is solid. The fine tolerances mean that oiling the valve is ESSENTIAL to preventing corrosion, as apparently the oxide layer can build up thick enough to cause the valve to bind.
Bummer to hear as the Bach/II rotor valve is a GREAT combo!!!!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Bonearzt wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:09 pm
Bummer to hear as the Bach/II rotor valve is a GREAT combo!!!!!
The instrument does play amazing! Best Bach I've played. It won me over from Conns :)
Paul Gilles
Rrova

Post by Rrova »

Eric and Paul,

Do you know if the same gooseneck was used or if a more open one was installed?

Thanks!!
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Rrova wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 pm Eric and Paul,

Thanks!!
The stock gooseneck was used. The original owner had the M gooseneck installed on the horn before the conversion and decided that it played better with the stock one. I haven't tried the M gooseneck, but the horn plays pretty darn big right now and is very efficient.
Paul Gilles
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Eric, I'm wondering if anybody has requested a string linkage for one of these valves. After having used the valve for a couple months, the binding has all but disappeared. The linkage is still clanky and loose though! The action on these valves has the potential to be incredibly quick and smooth, and I don't think this mechanical linkage really cuts the mustard.
Paul Gilles
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Not for these specifically but I've done that on a Bach 50 .

Can you post a pic of the linkage?

Eric
Eric Edwards

paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Yup, here you go.

Looks like some RC ball-and-socket linkages on the original thumb paddle. I know that Bachs originally had mechanical linkages, and was wondering how straightforward a string linkage conversion would be.
Paul Gilles
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

paulyg wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:56 pm Yup, here you go.

Looks like some RC ball-and-socket linkages on the original thumb paddle. I know that Bachs originally had mechanical linkages, and was wondering how straightforward a string linkage conversion would be.
Yes I use R/C parts there, and drop of heavy oil will quiet these linkages nicely!
A string linkage would take a bit of re-configuring, but not terribly difficult!
I would use a King linkage as a model, and will have to change the lever a bit.

Thanks!
Eric
Eric Edwards

Rrova

Post by Rrova »

paulyg wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 pm
Rrova wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 pm Eric and Paul,

Thanks!!
The stock gooseneck was used. The original owner had the M gooseneck installed on the horn before the conversion and decided that it played better with the stock one. I haven't tried the M gooseneck, but the horn plays pretty darn big right now and is very efficient.
Thanks! At the ATW I got give the new Bach 42BOF a whirl and I really liked it! I found out later that this model also comes with the standard gooseneck, so if I ever get around to putting an Olsen valve on my 42, I'll use the stock gooseneck.

Before I always thought of the 42 as a bunch of parts Vincent tried to put together quickly. I mean you have a tight leadpipe, then a bass crook, than the valve, gooseneck, tuning slide and bell from the 36! Now, I believe that these were done with a specific design in mind.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Technically both of those stories can be true at the same time :wink:
Rrova

Post by Rrova »

Haha!!! Yes, very true!!
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Bonearzt wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:32 pm
paulyg wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:56 pm Yup, here you go.

Yes I use R/C parts there, and drop of heavy oil will quiet these linkages nicely!
A string linkage would take a bit of re-configuring, but not terribly difficult!
I would use a King linkage as a model, and will have to change the lever a bit.

Thanks!
Eric
An idea I'm particular to would be to alter the bach paddle to include a Conn french horn linkage arm. Basically trim from a centimeter above where the linkage ball is currently, and drill and tap a hole to accept the screw from a conn linkage. That way the conn horn linkage arm with the delrin insert could be used. I think this would be a better/smoother option than just soldering a rod onto the existing linkage.
Paul Gilles
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I received my valve and in a week it goes on the horn. Looking forward to how it plays. In the mean time I`m striping the lacquer off the bell
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Here is another variation on the theme.. This set-up uses a Bach paddle. It's very comfortable and responsive..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

Walleye wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 am Here is another variation on the theme.. This set-up uses a Bach paddle. It's very comfortable and responsive..
Can you post more pictures of your linkage (different angles)?

Thanks!
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Two more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

paulyg wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:05 pm
Bonearzt wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:32 pm
That would work along with the string linkage, but you would have to rotate the bearing plate 180deg to get the correct rotation of the stop arm.

Eric
Eric Edwards

Return to “Modification & Repair”