Wireless Ambient Trombone

quiethorn

Wireless Ambient Trombone

Post by quiethorn »

If anyone's interested in mixing Arduino stuff with music or about computer music technology things in general...

I made a video about a project I just did where I took an Adafruit Huzzah32 board and set it up to send OSC messages wirelessly to control the input on my ambient/looping software. If you're wondering what any of that means, skip to the middle of the video first I guess to hear musical sounds.

Neo Bri

Re: Wireless Ambient Trombone

Post by Neo Bri »

Hey - that's very cool! i have not heard of people using Adafruits for this.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

neat!
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

would you consider posting your bidule patches?
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
http://pbone.org
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

pbone3b wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:04 am would you consider posting your bidule patches?
Sorry, just saw this. Yeah, I'd post them wherever. I can email to you if you want. I mostly just use Bidule with VSTs though (I don't use many of the math or other Bidule features), so unless you own or have the VSTs, they might not be much use.
stanzabone

Post by stanzabone »

Very nice, and some beautiful textures. I've been experimenting with some similar effects, looping with dual non-synchronized looping pedals, harmonizers and a Boss synth pedal to generate some different tones. Makes for some interesting late nights!
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

stanzabone wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:11 pm Very nice, and some beautiful textures. I've been experimenting with some similar effects, looping with dual non-synchronized looping pedals, harmonizers and a Boss synth pedal to generate some different tones. Makes for some interesting late nights!
If you have any of it on Youtube or elsewhere, I'd be interested to hear. I haven't found many others making looped music with trombone.

How do you find the Boss synth pedal works with trombone? Is it Boss bass synth one? I always thought of trying one of those but wasn't sure if/how well it would work with trombone.
stanzabone

Post by stanzabone »

https://stan9fromouterspace.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/stan9fromouterspace

Bandcamp and Soundcloud page links above. Haven't posted anything for a while. Mostly very laid-back ambient and meditative stuff. Tracks with & without trombone, (using didgeridoo, guitar, looping etc.) and some that you might not recognize as trombone.
I use the Boss Synth pedal, the old TYB-3 model, usually on its "T-Wah" position. Then that goes thru a harmonizer of some sort. Usually the end result is a Jon Hassel-type synth-horn, but with trombone instead of trumpet. The new model of the Boss pedal, TYB-5, does not have the T-Wah function. All the gear I use seems to be getting improved out of existence!
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

stanzabone wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:52 am https://stan9fromouterspace.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/stan9fromouterspace

Bandcamp and Soundcloud page links above. Haven't posted anything for a while. Mostly very laid-back ambient and meditative stuff. Tracks with & without trombone, (using didgeridoo, guitar, looping etc.) and some that you might not recognize as trombone.
I use the Boss Synth pedal, the old TYB-3 model, usually on its "T-Wah" position. Then that goes thru a harmonizer of some sort. Usually the end result is a Jon Hassel-type synth-horn, but with trombone instead of trumpet. The new model of the Boss pedal, TYB-5, does not have the T-Wah function. All the gear I use seems to be getting improved out of existence!
Sorry, just noticed this. I don't visit the forum much these days (I already have all the used mouthpieces I need :biggrin: ).

I'm listening to your Bandcamp stuff now. Really nice? I think I can tell what's trombone, but yeah, I end up in that "can't tell it's trombone" space sometimes too. The album cover pic reminds me of a Vocabell too :good:

For synth sounds, I've used the Bitspeek plugin. It's designed to sound like an old Speak and Spell, but it's really just a pitch follower and sawtooth wave generator underneath, so it's useful for making synthlike sounds on trombone.

Unrelated, but if you're looking for some drones to play along with or for more ambient music, I'm teaching myself to code these days and have made this site, which generates waveforms based on just intonation ratios. I got the idea from reading about La Monte Young's Dreamhouse.
stanzabone

Post by stanzabone »

HI & thanks for the reply,
Yeah, the trombone is not really featured the way it would be in a "trombone" track. It's usually intended to contribute to the overall texture. Bitspeek looks cool, and probably gets some really interesting results. And your linked page is fascinating. I'll give it a whirl after work.

Stan

Return to “Technology”