Buzz mute?

Albone

Buzz mute?

Post by Albone »

I'd like to get or perhaps make a buzz mute. I'm not able to find any currently in production or any used ones either. Any ideas on where to find one OR has anyone made one out of another mute that has advice on going that route?
BGuttman

Re: Buzz mute?

Post by BGuttman »

The Humes and Berg Buzz-Wow is basically 3 kazoo "reed" sections glued to the bottom of a cup mute (with holes to allow the kazoo reeds to get vibrations).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Bruce, ask to play mine in may.
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

I was told that the H&B Buzz-Wow was discontinued when I was looking a few years back. Tough to find, never did.

Forum member dj kennedy was making some assorted buzz mutes around the same time, maybe still! Possibly with someone else? Anyways, I have some of those creations and they are quite the buzz.

:idea:
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

A friend of mine made his own bass trombone buzz mute using an old cone mute (I don't remember if it was a straight or practice mute). He just drilled some holes and put in several kazoo buzzers.

The solo piece "Sub-ZERO" for bass trombone requires a buzz mute so he actually used it in performance.
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

On the subject of the Buzz Wow...

I can't find on either. After H&B discontinued it, they just haven't been showing up on the bay or anywhere else, and when someone does sell one, they want way too much for it.

Is DJ around here?

A question: where would one get the Kazoo reed thingies? Is this something I could do myself with a dremel, some glue and a cup mute? I'm not the handiest with tools but since I bought a house last year I've been getting plenty of practice.
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

ExZacLee wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:22 amIs DJ around here?
Just emailed him a link to this thread.

:idk:
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

i had an early H B loaned it out --never returned
several years ago i had a guest at trombone camp and we developed several mutes over a period of months //CRYBABY ///BUZZCUT TRUMP-O-TONE TRUMP-O-SIZZ
last year r&d again on several designs and prototypes were made and tested --this continues !!!
a successful model //BUZZOO //was developed and multiples were made //
they play flat ///but work very well /// several CRYBABY KITS were sent to england and very interesting /////////the 2nd gen buzzoo protos are well underway
there have been many duds and fails along the way !!!!!!
---------------------
facebook --TROMBONE MUTE page is up with some great posts and pix of new woodies and jazz age designs
============
the hb early had a single vibrating membrane about1 1/2 inches w a riveted retaining ring on bottom
==========
there was quite a bit of adjusting to the CRYBABY !!!!!!
-------
hoping to have several GEN II BUZZOOS AT ITF --
------------
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

they are incredibly easy to make !!!!!!! fast cheep !!!!!!!!
but if there was any money in it the chinese would knock them off
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

many steps i making w well finished one //while the protos mostly are pretty rough
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

If I can find a way to make the kazoo thingies, I may try to make one with a coffee can. Cafe Bustelo used to sell a big can of coffee, but they went to plastic recently and I want to use the old tin ones. Kind of a cross between a bucket and a buzz mute...

if I have the time. I'm spending a lot of time in a studio this summer and getting married in two weeks. Maybe it'll be my "instead of TV" project.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I got to listen to Baileyman's mute yesterday. From 10 feet away it doesn't really have a buzz. Closer you can hear the buzz.

What he seems to have done is to take the lower part of a Mega Mute off and cover the the open end with wax paper.

I should point out that I get a more "buzzy" sound from my small Harmon metal straight mute when I push the sound.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

mute page on //trombone mutes FACEBOOK --
i have some new buzz protos in the works and maybe some more cry baby -an older design the is very successful--see you tube vids by paul nowell
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

baileyman makes some cool stuff //he visited here in the stix !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Yeah, dj, twas brillig. After withering criticism by Bruce I do have an improved buzz going, and further ideas. It's not too hard to make something that sounds good in a studio mic, but out in the real world the response is usually, huh?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Withering? All I said was that at 4 feet away it didn't buzz!

I like your adventurousness, and hope Mark 2 (3? 4?) is better.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
blast

Post by blast »

Finetales wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:45 am A friend of mine made his own bass trombone buzz mute using an old cone mute (I don't remember if it was a straight or practice mute). He just drilled some holes and put in several kazoo buzzers.

The solo piece "Sub-ZERO" for bass trombone requires a buzz mute so he actually used it in performance.
One of my students just played 'sub zero' in a recital. He had a great buzz mute. I checked with him after the recital and it was simply a Harmon mute with the tube removed and a strip of masking tape stuck across the hole.... works !!!!

Chris
artofsoundmusic

Post by artofsoundmusic »

Here is a link to Joe Fiedler playing my new Trombone Buzz mute, Chicago Stinger

Return to “Accessories”