Copper bottom straight mute recommendations

matto

Copper bottom straight mute recommendations

Post by matto »

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a copper-bottom straight mute to blend better within a section where I'm the middle voice and the other two players are using copper-bottom mutes. We have some extended soft playing, and I'm on a Wick all aluminium, while the other two players are on JoRal and Tom Crown copper bottom mutes, and I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb, particularly when I trade long sustained notes between the parts.

I bought a JoRal copper-bottom, and am satisfied with the blend, but it came pre-dented and it is really heavy and awkward to grab and insert, so I'm sending it back. That leaves me two quick delivery options: Tom Crown and Windy City. When I've played Crown's in the past, they have had oddball woof-notes at the bottom of the staff, so I'm leery of getting one. I've never played the Windy City line, and the only online review I can find is about 10 years old on the trumpet forum. Anyone played Windy City and can compare to other brands, particularly on eveness across the range of the horn and weight?

Thanks!
Matt K
Verified

Re: Copper bottom straight mute recommendations

Post by Matt K »

I prefer the JoRal to both of those though normally the problem with them is that the corks come unglued. Once you reglue them, they're rock solid. In my experience at least. But then again, I also don't mind the Tom Crown mutes so take that with a grain of salt. I very briefly played a Windy City mute that someone else had and decided it wasn't for me relative to the JoRal I already had.

Is the denting particularly bad? Every straight mute I've had has ended up dented anway. I've even (half-jokingly) had it recommended to me to take a mouthpiece and give the bottom a good whack to knock all the bad notes out of it. I've played some good mutes that were dinged up.

I don't know about the weight being much different between the various models of metal straight mutes. My impression of them is that they're all relatively the same weight so my concern would be you returning, ordering another one, and really not finding much of a difference between the two.
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Another vote for the Jo-Ral. I'm so much more secure throughout my range on it than I was on my Wick. There's just no problem notes and I find it much less work, too.
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

How about romera brass? I played an all Aluminium recently and it was spectacular.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I have a Tom Crown , Jo`Ral and Stonelined Copper Bottomed Mutes. I prefer the sound, Blend and play-ability of the Jo-Ral mute the best.
tbonedude

Post by tbonedude »

I've played Tom crown aluminum, a few wicks, and a jo ral copper bottom, and a jo ral brass bottom. The jo ral copper bottom seems the most consistant across all dynamic and note ranges, and provides the tone color I'm looking for.

My current bass lineup for mutes is: jo ral copper bottom straight, Dennis wick adjustable cup mute, jo ral harmon, jo ral bucket, and a homemade metal plunger made from a stainless mixing bowl, some bits of leather, and some rivits. These mutes work for me, but mutes are such a personal taste that you should try out as many as you are able.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Slightly off-topic. Is Jo-Ral short for Joe & Ralph Alessi?
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

^Yes. Joe's dad would make mutes and experiment with them (Alessi/Vachianno mutes). Many years later, Joe Alessi also became interested in mute design and he and his father collaborated to form JoRal.

I, too, am partial (pun) to this brand for it's copper-bottom straight mute, because it gives me a consistent, dense, brassy sound which projects and blends well.
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

I've tried Jo-Ral, DW, H&B, Tom Crown and others. Romera Brass copper bottom is my favorite.

http://www.romerabrass.com/romerabrass_ ... one_59.php
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería

Return to “Accessories”