Lexan Rim

StefanHaller

Lexan Rim

Post by StefanHaller »

I have been playing on a Lexan rim (DE 102) for almost two years now, and I have been happy with it most of the time; I think I mostly liked the grip that's a little stronger than what I was used to with my silver mouthpiece before.

Lately, however, it happened a few times that I feel it is too grippy. I like to play very wet, but at times I'm having trouble keeping my lips wet enough; it feels like the mp actually sticks to the lips and can't move at all, and no amount of licking helps. This is only sometimes; my impression is that it happens more often when my lips are slightly swollen from hard playing the day before. The mouthpiece almost feels a little porous to my lips then (but it isn't, of course, as I can feel with the finger).

If I then switch to my silver Yamaha 48 that I had played before I got the DE, it feels much better on the lips, and I have no trouble keeping it wet enough. But it's the wrong size and shape, I really like my DE setup otherwise.

I guess I'm considering trying a silver-plated rim again, or maybe even going the opposite direction and trying a gold rim.

So, not sure what my question is, really. Any input or thoughts?
Matt K
Verified

Re: Lexan Rim

Post by Matt K »

Two things that may be interfering with your usual sensations:

1) Facial hair, if applicable. I'm a big fan of the lexan rims myself, but particularly on my lower lip, if I don't keep up with it (more than a day) than it feels almost unbearable. I have a moustache now and the upper lip doesn't bother me. But if you've been letting it go, so to speak, and you normally don't (or vice versa) the sensation will be different. In that respect the silver might be 'working' in the sense that it is a different sensation though perhaps not better. Ergo, making any change from one to the other could help but only in the sense that you're deviating from your normal course.

2) Humidity & Lip Balm Usage. In the winter, I tend to use more chop saver than I normally do. Although I just moved to the west and it's consistently around the same humidity, so I've gotten over the need to have my lips constantly moist. However, you can over-do it on the lip balm usage. I've had experiences where I used it so frequently that even when my lips were quite moist, they felt like they were dry because I was used to overapplying the lip balm. Similarly, if you've been doing something similar in the transition from winter to spring, your lips may be more moist than you think and the perception when you start buzzing that they are less moist is not unheard of.

Before changing anything equipment-wise, I might give a week or two to perhaps playing less wet. In other words, don't go the other direction and try everything off with a washcloth every time you take the horn off your face... but perhaps forego intentionally wetting your lips as well. It'll probably be mildly uncomfortable for a day or two but you might be surprised by the end result.

Also generally, clean your piece with some of the sani-mist or other sterilizer when you're done playing. If there have been any changes in your diet, especially adding more sodium, your saliva is going to be more acidic than it may have previously. If you're licking your lips and the rim, you probably are leaving behind some residual saliva and then when you put it back on your face you're introducing a higher degree of acidity which can do interesting things to our perception as well as actually make the rim physically stickier.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Matt K wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:20 am Two things that may be interfering with your usual sensations:

1) Facial hair, if applicable. I'm a big fan of the lexan rims myself, but particularly on my lower lip, if I don't keep up with it (more than a day) than it feels almost unbearable. I have a moustache now and the upper lip doesn't bother me. But if you've been letting it go, so to speak, and you normally don't (or vice versa) the sensation will be different. In that respect the silver might be 'working' in the sense that it is a different sensation though perhaps not better. Ergo, making any change from one to the other could help but only in the sense that you're deviating from your normal course.

2) Humidity & Lip Balm Usage. In the winter, I tend to use more chop saver than I normally do. Although I just moved to the west and it's consistently around the same humidity, so I've gotten over the need to have my lips constantly moist. However, you can over-do it on the lip balm usage. I've had experiences where I used it so frequently that even when my lips were quite moist, they felt like they were dry because I was used to overapplying the lip balm. Similarly, if you've been doing something similar in the transition from winter to spring, your lips may be more moist than you think and the perception when you start buzzing that they are less moist is not unheard of.

Before changing anything equipment-wise, I might give a week or two to perhaps playing less wet. In other words, don't go the other direction and try everything off with a washcloth every time you take the horn off your face... but perhaps forego intentionally wetting your lips as well. It'll probably be mildly uncomfortable for a day or two but you might be surprised by the end result.

Also generally, clean your piece with some of the sani-mist or other sterilizer when you're done playing. If there have been any changes in your diet, especially adding more sodium, your saliva is going to be more acidic than it may have previously. If you're licking your lips and the rim, you probably are leaving behind some residual saliva and then when you put it back on your face you're introducing a higher degree of acidity which can do interesting things to our perception as well as actually make the rim physically stickier.
Gross post.

In two different ways.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

3, if you count the part that I threw in at the end and didn't explicitly number :eek:
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Moving right along...

The condition of the skin, and especially timing of shaving, has been important to me for that same reason.

It doesn't bother me much lately but if I play too soon after shaving the Lexan feels like it's glued to my chops. One thing that helps tremendously is coconut oil, which I've recently decided is the ultimate best moisturizer for skin. - the unrefined kind that's sort of solid at room temperature and melts immediately if it gets any warmer.

Also a slightly larger rim size usually takes care of that sticky feeling. You can probably easily handle one size bigger in Lexan, and the same size in gold would feel too big.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
StefanHaller

Post by StefanHaller »

Thanks for the elaborate response!
Matt K wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:20 am 1) Facial hair, if applicable.
That can't be it. I can't stand having any hair between my skin and my mouthpiece, so I always shave thoroughly, daily.
2) Humidity & Lip Balm Usage. In the winter, I tend to use more chop saver than I normally do.
Me too, but not very much (not more than once a day, usually). And winter is a while ago now (even here), so I haven't used any for a few weeks now.
... and the perception when you start buzzing that they are less moist is not unheard of.
The sensation that I was describing doesn't occur right when I start playing, but usually only after I played for a while, maybe 15 or 20 minutes. I'll have to watch this more closely though, I'm not entirely sure.
I tried this before; I thought it would be good to play less wet, mostly for aesthetic reasons though (I thought it must look silly to lick my lips all the time on a gig). I tried various degrees of dryness, from totally dry to just a little less wet and everything in between, and I tried it for three or four weeks. It was a frustrating time, because nothing worked, and it was a relief when I finally went back to playing wet.
Interesting thought. I clean my mouthpiece often and thoroughly, but only with water. Will try sani-mist to see if it makes a difference.
StefanHaller

Post by StefanHaller »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:19 am The condition of the skin, and especially timing of shaving, has been important to me for that same reason.

It doesn't bother me much lately but if I play too soon after shaving the Lexan feels like it's glued to my chops.
Interesting. I usually shave in the morning and practice in the evening, so that's probably not it.
One thing that helps tremendously is coconut oil, which I've recently decided is the ultimate best moisturizer for skin.
Thanks, will try. I heard good things about that in other contexts.

Do you apply this before playing, or do you wipe it off when you play too soon after applying it?
Also a slightly larger rim size usually takes care of that sticky feeling. You can probably easily handle one size bigger in Lexan, and the same size in gold would feel too big.
Yes, I have been thinking about going slightly bigger with my rim size for a long time anyway. I'll probably get in touch about that soon.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I don't actually use anything on my chops. I use some coconut oil on dry skin on my legs before I go to bed, and then wipe my face and lips with what's left. I don't have dry skin there but it helps the fit of my CPAP mask.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

The best thing I've found for moisturizing (trying not to sound too much like my daughter or wife) is Eucerin Anti-Wrinkle Cream. Really excellent stuff that is also totally odorless and non-greasy.

I haven't tried coconut oil on my skin, although my daughter thinks highly of it but says it "clogs pores". It does work quite well as patch lube for a .50 caliber Hawken. And you can get it in Dollar Tree for ... uh ... $1. :roll:

It also works great for cleaning off really irritating make-up -- as in my current avatar.

I LOVE my DE Lexan rims!
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I use coconut oil every morning before playing, but it wasn't intentionally to moisturize.

I put a tablespoon each of butter and coconut oil in my coffee and drink it while doing my morning exercises (calisthenic and trombone). The theory is that a bit of fat in your diet in the morning tends to jump start the metabolism. I don't know if it's true or not, but it keeps me from being hungry and wanting a morning snack.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

timothy42b wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:35 pm I use coconut oil every morning before playing, but it wasn't intentionally to moisturize.

I put a tablespoon each of butter and coconut oil in my coffee and drink it while doing my morning exercises (calisthenic and trombone). The theory is that a bit of fat in your diet in the morning tends to jump start the metabolism. I don't know if it's true or not, but it keeps me from being hungry and wanting a morning snack.
I do the same thing. Indeed it is quite comfy to play while drinking!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

A tablespoon of each? That IS a morning snack.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:37 pm A tablespoon of each? That IS a morning snack.
Warning: abrupt veer off topic.

219 calories. I use a frother, it's not much different than adding creamer.

I'm currently experimenting with the ADMF, alternate day modified fast.

Every other day I reduce my calories to 600-700. It's supposed to give some of the benefits of fasting without being hungry all the time, and it seems to work. I'm a bit more productive at work on those days. Anyway, the morning coffee plus a hardboiled egg and two olives is 310 calories, half my daily ration. Then I just have to avoid snacking and watch what I eat for supper. The other days I eat what I want, within reason.

Return to “Mouthpieces”