1959 Martin Committee Trombone with 8" bell

ttf_donten

Post by ttf_donten »

First off I am not going to lie to you guys. I don't know how to play a horn at all. I bought this horn at an estate sale and was looking for some info on it. I am going to sell it on Ebay but when I sell something I like to have as much correct info as I can get so that the buyer (Maybe someone like you guys) knows what they are getting. Anyway I would like to know just how to measure tube size on it. From my google research it is a 1959 Committee model that has a 8" bell. I have not found much info on a Committee model with a 8" bell. almost all the info I have seen is that they would have a 7.5" bell. I did a measurement on one of the inner slide tubes and it is .478 I have a dial caliper for measuring the tube but just need to know which one to check. Thanks
ttf_donten

Post by ttf_donten »

I tried to post pics but they would not upload. Thanks
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Pictures are an issue and have been for a while on the Forum.  I posted some suggestions in the Comments and Suggestions board so you can get pictures to show.  It's called "I can't post pictures".

I think you have a relatively late Committee.  I had a 7 1/2" bell one and thought it was a great horn.  I think I paid $375 for it and that's probably a fair price if it's in good condition.

Note that you can sell it here on our Classified Ads section (it's free).
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I'm no expert on Committee's as I've never owned one, but the most reliable place to measure if you're using the inside prongs of a caliper is inside the top tenon of the slide where it connects to the bell.  I think you probably measured where the mouthpiece goes in and that's not the bore size.   You will get unreliable measurements at the bottom end of the inner slides because they're usually closed down a tiny bit, and the chrome plating also adds to that right at the end inside.
ttf_donten

Post by ttf_donten »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Dec 04, 2017, 12:49PMI'm no expert on Committee's as I've never owned one, but the most reliable place to measure if you're using the inside prongs of a caliper is inside the top tenon of the slide where it connects to the bell.  I think you probably measured where the mouthpiece goes in and that's not the bore size.   You will get unreliable measurements at the bottom end of the inner slides because they're usually closed down a tiny bit, and the chrome plating also adds to that right at the end inside.

Thanks. I just measured the ID where it connects to the bell and it is .478
I also got 4 mouthpieces with it. 3 Vincent Bach's and the original Martin mouthpiece. I put one on ebay and it already has a $99.99 bid. It is a #4 Vincent Bach. Thank you for the help. I have not listed the trombone yet. It needs a good cleaning. It came in it's original case with an old New Stone Lined cup mute. Thanks again.
ttf_donten

Post by ttf_donten »

Note that you can sell it here on our Classified Ads section (it's free).
[/quote]

Is it okay to post an Ebay link. I have a Mouthpiece on right now.

ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

.478 is not a bore size that was used.  It's probably .485 and your caliper isn't accurate for that type of inside measurement.

You can also insert one of the mouthpieces and then do an outside measurement on the tapered shank where it stops.  That will probably be more accurate.
ttf_donten

Post by ttf_donten »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Dec 04, 2017, 02:45PM.478 is not a bore size that was used.  It's probably .485 and your caliper isn't accurate for that type of measurement.

I would not argue that at all. My caliper is pretty old and also I might not be using it correctly when I measure it  Image
ttf_donten

Post by ttf_donten »

Checked it again. It measured .484 so I agree that it is a .485 size. Thanks
ttf_donten

Post by ttf_donten »

Checked it again. It measured .484 so I agree that it is a .485 size. Thanks

Return to “Instruments”