Dennis Wick bass trombone practice mute

ttf_sirisobhakya

Post by ttf_sirisobhakya »

After many suggestions from forum members, my long consideration, and this year's bonus (yay), I have decided to finally buy bass trombone practice mute.

I would love Silent Brass for bass trombone, the problem is Yamaha seems to be cruel to bass trombonists and does not offer it. And the only practice mute compatible with bass trombone bell in a music store I am able to go to is Dennis Wick. The price is around 11000 Yen (around $110), which is okay for me.

But I have read somewhere in this forum that Dennis Wick practice mute should be avoided due to response/attack issue.

Does anyone use/has used this mute? What is your opinion?

Thank you.
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

I use the Bremner Ssshmute with my Shires Bass Trombone, and I love it. https://bremnermusic.co.nz/shop/sshhmute/bass-trombone
I used the Dennis Wicks practice mute many many years ago in my Bb/F Besson Sovereign trom, and that worked fine too, but I believe the design has changed since then, so I can't really confirm if they are still good to use.
ttf_rumbles

Post by ttf_rumbles »

The Wick practice mute is the perfectly good, one reason being is that it dramatically attenuates the sound but doesn´t muffle it so completely that you get excessive resistance.

The only thing that counts against it is that it´s quite big. I also have a Rath practice mute that´s much smaller, and can be stored in the bell, but it´s not as nice to play for extended periods. Good for a discreet warm-up, but that´s it.

As for Silent Brass for bass trombone - I just wound some thick tennis grip tape around the neoprene collar, and it sealed well.

ttf_sirisobhakya

Thank you for your response!

Quote from: rumbles on Oct 31, 2017, 03:07AMAs for Silent Brass for bass trombone - I just wound some thick tennis grip tape around the neoprene collar, and it sealed well.

How is the air resistance?
ttf_sirisobhakya

Thank you for your response!

Quote from: rumbles on Oct 31, 2017, 03:07AMAs for Silent Brass for bass trombone - I just wound some thick tennis grip tape around the neoprene collar, and it sealed well.

How is the air resistance?

Return to “Accessories”