Equipment Experiments

ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Equipment Experiments

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Sort of just putting some thoughts down here. Over the past several weeks I’ve been bringing different mouthpieces and horns to a community band that gives us all the luxury of doing whatever. More of an excuse to hangout and do what we love outside of some other groups and projects some of us are in. The trumpets constantly bring in mouthpieces to try so I thought I’d get in on some experiments. Nothing is at stake. Any other group and I wouldn’t want to play around with what I have. Just bring the tools I need and enjoy the music.

I recently have been using a straight neckpipe with my bass and my favorite 1-1/2G and tried it on lead to see if I can make that work in theory. I’m no Slide Hampton... It is a huge workout. While it’s not a fit for me on lead it actually could work on second or third as it brightens up well if I want it to and is a breeze to play when not sitting above the staff for two hours with several solos. Something about it kept me bringing it back. It’s a very interesting animal to wrangle and definitely worth the experience. The response is only so different than with valves, but different enough to where I don’t believe it could be replicated without an actual straight neckpipe.

Before that I brought my G-att largebore to try out using a G-att. It’s just useful enough for me to want to use it, but not enough for me to miss it. If it were a 36B to start with I’d probably keep playing it on lead, though. I also used this horn as an excuse to play my DE F+ setup which I really like with that horn and also a very unique mouthpiece with an extremely unique finish I had done for me. It’s powder coated! The feeling is extraordinary, but I think I’ll make a mouthpiece post for the project.

The last horn I’ve been really getting into is a good ol’ Yamaha student trombone. I really have been gaining an appreciation for the 354’s and their relatives. It’s sleeper-ish. Just looks like a trombone. When people see a Rath or a Shires or a nice old 2B or Bach 16 they get inspired. But a Yamaha has much less of a reaction in my immediate area. Even a gorgeous playing Conn 6H looks like a student horn. My Yamaha is shiny and clean and it plays like a beefy .500 to me. Which it is. It’s a little too loud or it’s too easy for me to play loud with my regular mouthpiece so I use a nice tight Bach piece and it’s sweet and clear and may need more time in more bands.

What else should I try if I have the ability?

Do any of you have the luxury of satisfying trombone curiosity in an ensemble?
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Equipment Experiments

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Sort of just putting some thoughts down here. Over the past several weeks I’ve been bringing different mouthpieces and horns to a community band that gives us all the luxury of doing whatever. More of an excuse to hangout and do what we love outside of some other groups and projects some of us are in. The trumpets constantly bring in mouthpieces to try so I thought I’d get in on some experiments. Nothing is at stake. Any other group and I wouldn’t want to play around with what I have. Just bring the tools I need and enjoy the music.

I recently have been using a straight neckpipe with my bass and my favorite 1-1/2G and tried it on lead to see if I can make that work in theory. I’m no Slide Hampton... It is a huge workout. While it’s not a fit for me on lead it actually could work on second or third as it brightens up well if I want it to and is a breeze to play when not sitting above the staff for two hours with several solos. Something about it kept me bringing it back. It’s a very interesting animal to wrangle and definitely worth the experience. The response is only so different than with valves, but different enough to where I don’t believe it could be replicated without an actual straight neckpipe.

Before that I brought my G-att largebore to try out using a G-att. It’s just useful enough for me to want to use it, but not enough for me to miss it. If it were a 36B to start with I’d probably keep playing it on lead, though. I also used this horn as an excuse to play my DE F+ setup which I really like with that horn and also a very unique mouthpiece with an extremely unique finish I had done for me. It’s powder coated! The feeling is extraordinary, but I think I’ll make a mouthpiece post for the project.

The last horn I’ve been really getting into is a good ol’ Yamaha student trombone. I really have been gaining an appreciation for the 354’s and their relatives. It’s sleeper-ish. Just looks like a trombone. When people see a Rath or a Shires or a nice old 2B or Bach 16 they get inspired. But a Yamaha has much less of a reaction in my immediate area. Even a gorgeous playing Conn 6H looks like a student horn. My Yamaha is shiny and clean and it plays like a beefy .500 to me. Which it is. It’s a little too loud or it’s too easy for me to play loud with my regular mouthpiece so I use a nice tight Bach piece and it’s sweet and clear and may need more time in more bands.

What else should I try if I have the ability?

Do any of you have the luxury of satisfying trombone curiosity in an ensemble?

Return to “Instruments”