Tired chops and intonation

ttf_bonewilly

Post by ttf_bonewilly »

I am a returning player after a 40 year break.  My chops are slowly progressing but I notice when I am tired my pitch seems to go sharp.  Is this normal?  I would have thought that the pitch would go flat as my chops get tired.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Pitch will go sharp if you get tired and start pinching with your lips to keep going when you should have stopped.

The same thing happens with players who habitually pinch to go higher.  If high range is sharp and low range is flat, it's from pinching and collapsing instead of controlling from the corners.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Sep 23, 2017, 11:24PMPitch will go sharp if you get tired and start pinching with your lips to keep going when you should have stopped.

The same thing happens with players who habitually pinch to go higher.  If high range is sharp and low range is flat, it's from pinching and collapsing instead of controlling from the corners.

I so wish I had known this when I was younger.

My advice to you as a returner... Find a good teacher.  Doug is one whose skills include very deep understanding of chops.  I've been fortunate enough to have had a couple of lessons from Doug.  I *always* learn and I'm a much improved player as a result.  His lessons are less than the cost of a good mouthpiece and they'll do far more for your playing.  Image

--Andy
ttf_bonewilly

Post by ttf_bonewilly »

Thanks for the good advice.  Does anyone know of John Hinton in the Dallas/Fort Worth area as a teacher?
ttf_bonewilly

Post by ttf_bonewilly »

Thanks for the good advice.  Does anyone know of John Hinton in the Dallas/Fort Worth area as a teacher?

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”