Respiratory trainer

ttf_BGuttman

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Best bet is to work with a respiratory therapist.

Failing that, the Breathing Gym has gotten good press from many here.

When I was recovering from surgery I used an Incentive Spirometer.  It has its uses but is not the be-all and end-all.
ttf_Pre59

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

I use a standard white version of this one, https://www.thomann.de/ro/thomann_ultrabreathe_2.htm which is half the price in the UK.

I don't have any breathing issues apart from a little reduction due to ageing, and so I use this for a minute or so as part of my warm-up, and to remind myself to breathe deeply.
ttf_bonenick

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Get a BB tuba....
ttf_Nanook

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_Nanook »

I am a retired Respiratory therapist and I have used some of these devices clinically. Most of them utilize some form of flow restriction either to inspiration or expiration depending on the goal of the therapy...But to the subject of increasing lung Capacity... The only way to do this that I'm aware of is to stretch out the intercostal muscles of your ribs...I'm not sure how practical this is and how much of an increase in capacity one would derive, but other than that, the lungs are a fixed size with in a muscular skeletal structure. Most attention should be directed to physical fitness, which allows the muscles of the body to utilize less oxygen, consequently producing less carbon dioxide resulting in efficiency. I would suggest strengthening ones abdominal muscles in order to make them more efficient would reap more benefits than to focus on increasing ones lung capacity...That being said some of these devises that have flow restriction during exhalation would exercise ones abdominal muscles, just as sit ups or other similar exercises would.

Nanook
ttf_bonenick

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_bonenick »

In my experience, all of the great brass instrument musicians, to whom we look up are just ordinary people, anatomically speaking. Their mastery usually lies in the efficient use of what they have. They usually don't have bigger muscles, lungs or whatever. But they gained the necessary control to do everything  in the EASIEST way possible. Muscles are important, but control is the master.
ttf_svenlarsson

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Swimming, running, walking practicing the Caruso 6 tones and all scales and broken chords. Singing in a choir.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Quote from: bonenick on Sep 18, 2017, 03:39AMIn my experience, all of the great brass instrument musicians, to whom we look up are just ordinary people, anatomically speaking. Their mastery usually lies in the efficient use of what they have. They usually don't have bigger muscles, lungs or whatever. But they gained the necessary control to do everything  in the EASIEST way possible. Muscles are important, but control is the master.

What he said.
You don't need any of those things.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

I do some breathing exercises every day - lately the ones here, which I've found do help me stay more relaxed when I play longer notes and phrases - but the only toy I use is the Breath Builder, because it addresses directly the turnaround between exhaling and inhaling.
ttf_tbathras

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Those gadgets are good, perhaps, to diagnose some deficiency or give a sense of what it may feel like to move a certain amount of air at a certain speed.  Like a tire pressure gauge; It won't fix any thing, but it'll tell you the state of things.

I have a voldyne and a peak flow meter, but only because I have asthma that acts up from time to time and I like having a way to see how it's impacting my breathing.

I question their value for for general daily use- unless you have some specific condition/issue you are working on remedying.

You'd be way better off getting something like The Breathing Gym: Daily Workouts DVD and doing a few minutes of that a day.
ttf_sterb225

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_sterb225 »

The only of these I have found to have merit is a modified version of the spirometer that allows you to buzz your mouthpiece through it.  It's a great way to see the consistency of your air flow and tame nasty problems with flexibility and efficiency. 
ttf_Doug Elliott

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Learning to really listen to yourself and actually paying attention has the same effect, and has general musicianship benefits too.
ttf_JBledsoe

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_JBledsoe »

You don't need any of those gizmos. Use The Breathing Gym.
ttf_Pre59

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: JBledsoe on Sep 19, 2017, 02:02AMYou don't need any of those gizmos. Use The Breathing Gym.

How much does the book and DVD cost?
ttf_Pre59

Respiratory trainer

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: JBledsoe on Sep 19, 2017, 02:02AMYou don't need any of those gizmos. Use The Breathing Gym.

How much does the book and DVD cost?

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”