Love Never Dies - yea or nea?

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

So the Phantom of the Opera sequel Love Never Dies is coming to our area and I was wondering if this show was worth spending $150 or more for 2 tickets to see it. I really enjoyed POTA, but this show seems to get mixed reviews. Has anyone been to see it?
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Not in the same league! Image
It is some years since we saw it but I cannot remember any details, whereas I remember the earlier POTO very well and can sing most of the tunes, many not at the right octave.

My opinion only! I am not an opera critic.

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

POTO was way better than any 'real' opera.  I was able to sit through the entire thing without the insatiable desire to get up and find a bar.  Most 'real' operas are maybe 3 or 4 good pieces surrounded by hours of monotonous squawking on the stage.  Mind you , it's squawking in near perfect time and pitch, but it is still squawking.

I've not seen Love Never Dies, but it can't be as bad as sitting through any of about 90% of the Ring of Nurburgring.

I think I deserve a medal for doing that whole thing (shudder!!!).
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Quote from: BillO on Sep 14, 2017, 05:20PMPOTO was way better than any 'real' opera.  I was able to sit through the entire thing without the insatiable desire to get up and find a bar.  Most 'real' operas are maybe 3 or 4 good pieces surrounded by hours of monotonous squawking on the stage.  Mind you , it's squawking in near perfect time and pitch, but it is still squawking.

I've not seen Love Never Dies, but it can't be as bad as sitting through any of about 90% of the Ring of Nurburgring.

I think I deserve a medal for doing that whole thing (shudder!!!).

Careful Bill, you will be giving trombonists a bad name!

Much as I admire many of Andrew Lloyd-Webber's works, I think they are musicals rather than operas and as such, are easier to watch or listen to.

One of the high-lights of my musical life was being given a private box at the Royal Opera House, in Covent Garden, London for a performance of Wagner's Parsifal. It was a magical experience, all 4 hours of it, but for myself, as an experienced bass singer in oratorios and light operas, to hear the voices of Willard White and Simon Estes was a treat beyond any expectations. To complete the evening, we had cucumber sandwiches and a bottle of chilled Chablis delivered to the box! The Age of Decadence is now long gone Image.

It would be interesting to hear how Blast copes with his form of employment. Imagine having to sit regularly in a little hole in a darkened room playing the occasional note on a bass trombone whilst spending the rest of the evening listening to the "monotonous squawking" and probably not being able to see anything happening on stage. Some people have a hard life!

With my pedant's hat on, can I check that it was an opera that you sat through? The "Ring" of Nurburgring is a 14 mile lap race track in Germany. Now sitting and watching cars go past at 150mph+ every 8 minutes for 2 hours could be boring. The opera cycle by Wagner is "The Ring of Nibelung"

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Yesterday at 03:00 AMWith my pedant's hat on, can I check that it was an opera that you sat through? The "Ring" of Nurburgring is a 14 mile lap race track in Germany. Now sitting and watching cars go past at 150mph+ every 8 minutes for 2 hours could be boring. The opera cycle by Wagner is "The Ring of Nibelung"
Yes, it was "The ring of Nibelung".  What was I thinking...?

I did actually catch a couple of motorcycle races at the track at Nurburgring.  One to see Kenny Roberts, then again to see Freddie Spencer, but alas it's just as boring as being a spectator at the opera.  The lap times are soooo long and the races were only 9 or 10 laps.

I'll be fair to the "The ring of Nibelung".  I saw in 2008 at the Bonn opera house on one of my company trips to our Dusseldorf office.   I think it was too much to see it all at once, so to speak and by myself, as none of my coworkers were interested.  They warned me.  If I had seen the 4 parts maybe a few months apart it might not have been such an ordeal.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Yesterday at 03:00 AM

With my pedant's hat on, can I check that it was an opera that you sat through? The "Ring" of Nurburgring is a 14 mile lap race track in Germany.

Bayreuth 2017...

ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Sep 14, 2017, 02:34PMSo the Phantom of the Opera sequel Love Never Dies is coming to our area and I was wondering if this show was worth spending $150 or more for 2 tickets to see it. I really enjoyed POTA, but this show seems to get mixed reviews. Has anyone been to see it?

A reviewer in London renamed this show "Paint Never Dries." Should tell you something. I can also tell you that after 15 years at Phantom in NYC I know the MD who worked on the London production of Paint Never Dries. The show was suppose to come to New York several years ago but bad London reviews diminished investor interest.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Sep 14, 2017, 02:34PMSo the Phantom of the Opera sequel Love Never Dies is coming to our area and I was wondering if this show was worth spending $150 or more for 2 tickets to see it. I really enjoyed POTA, but this show seems to get mixed reviews. Has anyone been to see it?

A reviewer in London renamed this show "Paint Never Dries." Should tell you something. I can also tell you that after 15 years at Phantom in NYC I know the MD who worked on the London production of Paint Never Dries. The show was suppose to come to New York several years ago but bad London reviews diminished investor interest.

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”