Beethoven #9

ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Beethoven #9

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Question. Is Beethoven #9, second movement, played with repeats?
ttf_Posaunus

Beethoven #9

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

I expect that it depends on the conductor. 

Better be prepared to count lots of rests! 
ttf_Burgerbob

Beethoven #9

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Last time I played this, we took all repeats.

I got quite good at mental addition, trying to add up how many measures you rest before entering.
ttf_BGuttman

Beethoven #9

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I think it's 571 bars.

The Boston Symphony did it for the closing of the Tanglewood season and they didn't take the repeat.  When I did it, we did take the repeat.

The Principal was totally winded at the end of the concert with all those high notes (on his King 3B).
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Beethoven #9

I have performed it twice, both times different. I was wondering if there was a standard.
ttf_BillO

Beethoven #9

Post by ttf_BillO »

Listen for cues!  Image
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Beethoven #9

Quote from: BillO on Yesterday at 09:39 AMListen for cues!  Image
Yes, there are some definite big ones. The group I play in does two rehearsals and the concert, so I try to come armed with as much information as possible to rehearsals. We are also doing Festive Overture and a concerto on this concert, so we won't be getting a lot of time to figure things out be repetition.
ttf_BGuttman

Beethoven #9

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There are cues and false cues.  You can learn to distinguish between them.  I spent some time listening to the movement with my part in front of me.

A kindly conductor may give you a cue.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Beethoven #9

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 07:56 PMThere are cues and false cues.  You can learn to distinguish between them.  I spent some time listening to the movement with my part in front of me.

A kindly conductor may give you a cue.
Not sure what false cues are. There are a lot of G.P. and that fermata thing with dotted rhythm that the horns and tpt play.
ttf_BGuttman

Beethoven #9

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: GetzenBassPlayer on Yesterday at 11:06 PMNot sure what false cues are. There are a lot of G.P. and that fermata thing with dotted rhythm that the horns and tpt play.

Listen to the music.  You'll see what I mean.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Beethoven #9

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 07:03 AMListen to the music.  You'll see what I mean.

I have listened, score studied and played the music. I guess I just don't understand BGuttman speak.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Beethoven #9

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 07:03 AMListen to the music.  You'll see what I mean.

I have listened, score studied and played the music. I guess I just don't understand BGuttman speak.

Return to “Practice Room”