"New" Olds bass trombone?

ttf_jack

Post by ttf_jack »

I have come upon a fresh looking, little used, independent double plug (F/Gb) bass marked "OLDS ELKHART IND USA"  A ticket inside the case says NS22D and the serial number A054xx. It is all yellow brass except for the three tuning slides which look to be nickel plated. Bell is 10". There is minimal lacquer wear, but there are signs of some corrosion starting on the slide inners whose surfaces are a little cloudy in appearance. A little preliminary search suggests it might be from 2001/2.
Can anyone shed more light on this model?
All contributions gratefully received.
Thanks
Robert
ttf_jack

Post by ttf_jack »

Thanks for that JohnL.
The Blessing looks like traditional (closed) wrap. This Olds is open wrap. The Weril lacks some features of the Olds, but it does have removable leadpipes which the Olds does not.
Does anyone know for certain who makes the NS22D?
Has anyone had experience of playing it at any level?
My first impressions are that it's somewhat dull and unresponsive. But that is probably poor technique on my part. Or my age.Image
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: jack on Yesterday at 06:36 AMDoes anyone know for certain who makes the NS22D?I expect it was made by Weril, just not to the exact same specs as what Weril was selling under their own name (kinda like the whole Whirlpool vs. Kenmore thing). That's just a guess, though.
ttf_jack

Post by ttf_jack »

Thanks for your input, JohnL. 
I'm still keen to have any more background to this instrument that anyone can share.  It says Olds Elkhart Ind USA on the bell. I think the model is NS22D. And I suspect it dates from about 2001.  I don't know if it is considered a student horn or pro level. I have not been able to find any suppliers of it, nor any other information.  If anyone has one or plays one I'd be glad to know your opinion of how it plays.

ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Like I believe I said in the other thread I don't believe it was a copy of anything. And I don't know what umbrella it was made under. But the only snippet I recall is "a modern take on a classic" which I understand as "we used an old name and it has no relation to how this is" But do you like it? It looks pretty handsome. I like the nickel.
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: jack on Yesterday at 01:15 PMI don't know if it is considered a student horn or pro level.

If this obscure trombone was ever considered "pro level," the company that had purchased the Olds name (but apparently none of the parts, technology, or know-how) and manufactured it did a pretty miserable job of marketing it.  I've never heard of a professional trombonist that played one.   Image
ttf_jack

Post by ttf_jack »

All this is helpful. Especially that no-one so far has played one.
I don't think the horn would work for me but, as I mentioned, that could be my age or poor technique.
I seem to have missed "the other thread", Full Pedal Trombonist, so can you give me a link?

ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Quote from: jack on Sep 13, 2017, 04:39AMAll this is helpful. Especially that no-one so far has played one.
I don't think the horn would work for me but, as I mentioned, that could be my age or poor technique.
I seem to have missed "the other thread", Full Pedal Trombonist, so can you give me a link?

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,63601.0.html

ttf_jack

Post by ttf_jack »

Got it!  Many thanks for that link.  Weril? Blessing? Who knows for certain? 
Still, I don't like it much.  And it doesn't like my Rath B1.5W. It prefers the Wick 0AL that was in the case.
Workman and his tools I hear you say.
ttf_jack

Post by ttf_jack »

Got it!  Many thanks for that link.  Weril? Blessing? Who knows for certain? 
Still, I don't like it much.  And it doesn't like my Rath B1.5W. It prefers the Wick 0AL that was in the case.
Workman and his tools I hear you say.

Return to “Instruments”