Embouchure movements/types and mouthpiece sizes

ttf_mlarsson

Post by ttf_mlarsson »

When I'm ascending to the upper register I'm moving the mouthpiece slightly upwards (relative to the teeth) towards the nose and when I'm descending into the trigger range, I'm moving the mouthpiece slightly downwards. My mouthpiece placement is a bit on the high side.

I've read some theories on embouchure classifications here, stating that this embouchure movement would define what is referred to as a "very high placement embouchure" and that this type of embouchure would favor larger mouthpiece rim sizes.

If so, how common are the exceptions to that "rule"?

ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I certainly know some small bore jazz players of that embouchure type who are very successful on small mouthpieces on their small bore horns.

The usual problem for that most common embouchure is that in order to play low range with a good sound and volume, a small mouthpieces requires a shift to a placement closer to 50/50, and then shifting to a higher placement to play in the high range.  A larger mouthpieces help to incorporate the whole range in one placement which makes both top and bottom easier, more consistent, and with consistent sound quality.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I certainly know some small bore jazz players of that embouchure type who are very successful on small mouthpieces on their small bore horns.

The usual problem for that most common embouchure is that in order to play low range with a good sound and volume, a small mouthpieces requires a shift to a placement closer to 50/50, and then shifting to a higher placement to play in the high range.  A larger mouthpieces help to incorporate the whole range in one placement which makes both top and bottom easier, more consistent, and with consistent sound quality.

Return to “Practice Room”