Eastman Bass Trombone Case vs Protec Pro pac Bass Trombone Case

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I currently play a nice Edwards horn and I've been using the old wood case that it came with without trouble for a while now. However, I have to take a short flight to Oregon with my horn for the Alessi Seminar. I plan on taking it with me as carry-on and then probably gate checking it if necessary, and my teacher and I feel like the standard case isn't protective enough. I've narrowed the list down to the Eastman or the Protec Pro pac based on protection, price, availability, etc. but I was wondering which one would offer more protection. They both look pretty sturdy, and I'm confident either would fit my horn.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

I can't see getting the Eastman case onto any airplane as carry-on. If it's packed very well, with extra material so that the bell section will not move around at all inside the case, it will probably do fine as a gate-check. I loaned mine to a high school student once to take on a youth orchestra tour to Europe. He had to check it as regular baggage throughout. The case sustained minor damage, but the instrument was fine.

As a day-to-day case I would probably choose the ProTec because the pockets are more convenient, but I was willing to spend more for a Marcus Bonna.
ttf_conn88plyr

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

I tend to see a lot of customers in agreement with Gabe on the day-to-day usage of the Protec over the Eastman.  The Eastmans of course have a very protective shell but there is a fair amount of empty room inside for the horn to move around in and storage is limited.  If you are looking to limit weight and size I would also suggest looking at the Protec iPac case; it is a bit more compact and lighter then the Propac and with the modular interior you get the same kind of protection...
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I'm a big fan of the Eastman cases (but I'm also bias as I'm selling a protec at the moment  Image) I've seen them fit overhead before but it was on a big plane. I'd imagine if a protective fits overhead the Eastman will but if one won't fit then the other won't either. The bells are meant to accommodate up to 10.5bells so they're both over a foot in diameter at the bottom.

The Eastman are lighter and to me easier to carry. They're also watertight for times when you're carrying in rain. I make up for the lost space by putting oil in the main compartment above the bell and then using a mouthpieces pouch to store my mouthpieces and I nest that in the valve section of the horn.

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I'm a big fan of the Eastman cases (but I'm also bias as I'm selling a protec at the moment  Image) I've seen them fit overhead before but it was on a big plane. I'd imagine if a protective fits overhead the Eastman will but if one won't fit then the other won't either. The bells are meant to accommodate up to 10.5bells so they're both over a foot in diameter at the bottom.

The Eastman are lighter and to me easier to carry. They're also watertight for times when you're carrying in rain. I make up for the lost space by putting oil in the main compartment above the bell and then using a mouthpieces pouch to store my mouthpieces and I nest that in the valve section of the horn.

Return to “Accessories”