Rath R1, R10, R12 how do you like yours?

ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

I stopped in at Dillon's this week.  And decided it was time to make some room in the Astoria apartment.  So I took two horns to trade in, and see what was on the wall.  I played several 6Hs, a great old Bach 12, and a Shires that played well, but looked less than stellar. 

Then I tried one of the Raths sitting on the floor. And then I started to mix and match.  Long story short, they gave me a great offer on my trade ins, towards a brand new Rath.  Which I'm strongly considering making the switch.

Just a few questions for Rath players.

How do you like yours?  Whats your setup?  How easy is the parts swap if you've used it? 

I found the slides to be really light, but incredible sturdy feeling, unlike my 2B Jiggs.  I was able to piece together a yellow bell, nickel slide, rose crook, and a tight leadpipe and on an R1 dual bore setup.  Sounded great.  Felt great.

Just wondering how youre service has been with Rath?  And have you swapped parts?  What do you like?  What do you dislike?

thanks in advance.
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

I have an R1 and an R12.  I have some other Raths, too, but you only asked about these.

My R1 plays great.  Records great.  Very easy to play, plays bigger than you'd think, and rings.  Unlacquered yellow brass.  Great horn, for sure.

My R12 - Best ballad horn I've ever had, maybe.  Hard to say.  The Williams make great ballad horns, too.  It's similar in spec to the 2B, but plays so much easier than most 2Bs.  The Dorsey stuff I do really shines with the R12.
ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

Quote from: Sliphorn on Jul 30, 2017, 05:55PMI have an R1 and an R12.  I have some other Raths, too, but you only asked about these.

My R1 plays great.  Records great.  Very easy to play, plays bigger than you'd think, and rings.  Unlacquered yellow brass.  Great horn, for sure.

My R12 - Best ballad horn I've ever had, maybe.  Hard to say.  The Williams make great ballad horns, too.  It's similar in spec to the 2B, but plays so much easier than most 2Bs.  The Dorsey stuff I do really shines with the R12.

thanks for the feedback. really appreciated.  have you swapped parts on it ever?  how did the different leadpipes feel?  Or do you just stick with one setup?
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: SKAzz on Jul 30, 2017, 06:32PMthanks for the feedback. really appreciated.  have you swapped parts on it ever?  how did the different leadpipes feel?  Or do you just stick with one setup?
Just stuck with what's in the box. 
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

I really wish I played more small bore work. There's so much out there to play around with. I mean, technically my 3B isn't even a "small bore" horn.
ttf_Andy Baker

Post by ttf_Andy Baker »

I love my R10. Nickel slide, yellow bell, rose tuning slide. Nickel lead-pipe. Swapping parts out is seamless, though probably not necessary once you find your set-up.
I had an early R1 - it was wonderful, I just find the 10 to be a better fit for me.
ttf_Andy Baker

Post by ttf_Andy Baker »

I love my R10. Nickel slide, yellow bell, rose tuning slide. Nickel lead-pipe. Swapping parts out is seamless, though probably not necessary once you find your set-up.
I had an early R1 - it was wonderful, I just find the 10 to be a better fit for me.

Return to “Instruments”