How consistent are King horns?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I am a professional jazz player on a horn quest. I've been playing on a Conn 8h since college, largely because my teacher (Steve Davis) plays on a large horn, and so I was going for that kind of sound. Slide Hampton, etc. Big and dark. But I've been developing my own voice over the 10 years since then (and I took a detour into upright bass), and I am finally realizing it's time for a new horn.

So as I've toured with my swing band, I have checked out horn shops around the country, and tried out the trombones of people who sit in with us. Finally, at a shop in Boston, I played a Getzen 3508y, and it was PERFECT. Just what I'm looking for. Incredible dynamic range, the ability to play quiet and beautiful, loud and ballsy, high, low, everywhere in between. I tend to be a soft and mellow player naturally, so I've been looking for a horn that makes loud/high/broken up sounds kind of easy, while still maintaining a nice core of sound. This horn was it. Only problem is... I can't afford it right now.

But man, I really need a new horn. So the only other horns I've tried out that have really fit the bill that are in my price range were a couple different King 2bs and 3bs. They were really easy horns. I'd probably go with the 3b, for that core of sound. I like what a larger bell does.

However, I have also tried out some of those same model horns that just... sucked. Didn't do the job. Weren't easy, didn't have a great sound. My question is: what should I do? Hahaha. I haven't done a ton of research on the history of those horns, but obviously they go back decades. And there seems to be such a wide variety of price on them. I'm not looking for a silversonic, so that seems to help me out on price, but what about consistency? I know it's best to actually go try out a horn in person, and I'd love to, but there seem to be a lot of these horns flying around eBay, Craigslist, and here. Some of which I could afford (once I sell my 8h). Are there particular eras of King 3b or 2b that might have the characteristics I'm looking for, at a good price? Is the quality vastly different from horn to horn? Help me figure it out!!

Alternatively, if anyone has a lightly used Getzen 3508y for sale, $1200 or less, pm me... Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Get a 3B from DJ or Brass Ark. Done.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

There have been changes between the eras such that if I were buying blind I probably would want to make sure I could try it first or had another horn I could use in the iterim. You may actually want to consider a student model horn as a baseline. Its always nice to have a backup in the event you get your horn damaged so you don't have to scramble for a horn to do a paying gig.  You can often find decent condition Yamaha 354s and King 606s which both have a pretty good reputation as being players for under $300.  If you like the 3508Y you might actually like the YSL354; I've only played one of those Getzens but my memory serving, it had a similar playing characteristic to the Yamaha. The Yamahah, being a student horn, is a little on the heavy side but it still can definitely get bright and is pretty consistent throughout the registers.

If you like it, awesome, you may well have found a horn you can keep for awhile. But you can also shop around and get a used 2b, 2b+, 3b.. or Conn 6H, Yamaha 691, 697, etc. etc.  There are a lot of horns you can get on the budget if you have the time to be patient. I remember about 2 years ago someone sold a 3508Y here for $600. I was strapped for cash at the time or I would have bought it immediately  Image A friend of mine picked up a Yamaha 691 for around the same price last year.  You could do the same. Find one that's a price you can swing... try it out. If you like it, awesome, if you don't like it, flip it and try again!
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Forgot to mention: Another benefit to the student horns is that you can easily get new parts.  You could order both inners, outers, and a crook and have them installed on a YSL354 for less than $300... or at least you could a few years ago when I did something similar.

Also, here's some recordings of Doug Elliott playing the YSL354 with the Airmen of Note: http://dougelliottmouthpieces.com/audio.html
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Forgot to mention: Another benefit to the student horns is that you can easily get new parts.  You could order both inners, outers, and a crook and have them installed on a YSL354 for less than $300... or at least you could a few years ago when I did something similar.

Also, here's some recordings of Doug Elliott playing the YSL354 with the Airmen of Note: http://dougelliottmouthpieces.com/audio.html

Return to “Instruments”