Tennis?

ttf_Ellrod

Tennis?

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I've recently become interested in taking up tennis. It's been a very long time since I played - nearly 15 years. Last time out, I got a bit of tennis elbow which I completely mismanaged, and never played again.

I was thinking about a new racquet, but decided to use my old one, which is 30+ years old, to see how it goes, before investing in a new one.

My question is: would it make any sense to have it re-strung? How much does it cost? Would it make more sense to try things out and, if I enjoy playing, put the money towards a new racquet?
ttf_MrPillow

Tennis?

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

For casual play a 30 year old racquet will do you fine. If it hasn't been restrung in some time, you definitely need to get new strings for it to function properly. It's been a few years since I had a racquet restrung, but depending on where you go it's in the range of $20 US for the stringing, plus the cost of whatever string. A new racquet will offer many benefits - larger hitting area, more control, etc., but I would wait until you decide if you enjoy it to look into one.
ttf_MrPillow

Tennis?

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

For casual play a 30 year old racquet will do you fine. If it hasn't been restrung in some time, you definitely need to get new strings for it to function properly. It's been a few years since I had a racquet restrung, but depending on where you go it's in the range of $20 US for the stringing, plus the cost of whatever string. A new racquet will offer many benefits - larger hitting area, more control, etc., but I would wait until you decide if you enjoy it to look into one.

Return to “Chit-Chat”