ttf_anonymous

Yamashot weight

Post by ttf_anonymous »

What weight oil is yamasnot
ttf_BGuttman

Yamashot weight

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I don't think it has an SAE rating.

It is pretty viscous, though.  I wouldn't be surprised if it tested at 2000 cp, although it is probably non-Newtonian.

I also think it would make a lousy lubricant for an automotive engine.
ttf_RMTrombone

Yamashot weight

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

"The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has established a numerical code system for grading motor oils according to their viscosity characteristics. SAE viscosity grading include the following, from low to high viscosity: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50 or 60. The numbers 0, 5, 10, 15 and 25 are suffixed with the letter W, designating their "winter" (not "weight") or cold-start viscosity, at lower temperature."

"Viscosity is graded by measuring the time it takes for a standard amount of oil to flow through a standard orifice, at standard temperatures. The longer it takes, the higher the viscosity and thus higher SAE code." From the Pep Boys Website.

It seem to me that Yamaha Trombone Slide Lubricant (Yamasnot) is thinner than "0" weight motor oil.

I agree with BGuttman that Yamasnot is probably a Non-Newtonian liquid. This means it has a different viscosity in the bottle than on the slide. This would help explain why it is more slippery than (Newtonian) slide oil.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer, there are people on this forum much more knowledgeable than me. I would love to hear what makes Yamasnot work.

I could not find the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for Yamasnot, it would have all the specs.

ttf_BGuttman

Yamashot weight

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Yamaha Slide Preparation (it's not really a hydrocarbon oil) is a silicone formula.  Silicones have a hydrophobic property ("hate water") which means that it coats one surface and if the other surface is wet or even moist it slides over it very easily.  There are other silicone slide treatments including Slide-O-Mix, Rapid Comfort, UltraPure, Superslick Plus (and others).  Some work better than others, and it is a function of how you play and where you play that will define the best one to use.  Many of us have found the Yamaha stuff to work better than most other preparations, but not all.

You won't be able to go into an auto parts store and buy something that works like Yamaha Slide Prep.  And if you are looking to save money, a bottle should last you quite a while so you are not going to save much.
ttf_BillO

Yamashot weight

Post by ttf_BillO »

Yamaha Slide Lube is a non-homogeneous mixture so would definitely not be a Newtonian fluid.

I would guess glycerine, silicone and an emulsifier at a minimum.

It is also 'sticky' so you would not be able to determine the bulk viscosity using the same means as used to determine oil viscosity.
ttf_FlamingRain

Yamashot weight

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

I've heard that antifreeze will keep your slide from freezing!  Image
ttf_FlamingRain

Yamashot weight

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

I've heard that antifreeze will keep your slide from freezing!  Image

Return to “Accessories”