How do you get more core in the sound?

ttf_trb420

Post by ttf_trb420 »

I notice that a lot of times, at least in my perception, my sound lacks core, and sounds "fluffy", or maybe not as intense as I'd like. It's hard to qualify a sound with words, but hopefully you get the idea. Is there any way to work on my sound, like other than just long tones, to work on getting more core in it? My intonation is solid, so I doubt it's an issue of tuning.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Tone is all about how you focus the air through the aperture, and also the shape of your oral cavity and tongue, AND also the fact that both of those things are somewhat related to one another. All of these things also are affected by the resistance that your trombone presents (or doesn't present).

These things all also change based on the register you're playing in. Your question might as well be "how do I get real good at playing a brass instrument?". It might seem cliche but in order to get the tone you want you need to practice, listen, tweak, practice, listen, tweak --- until you get where you think you want to be. Then you reassess...
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Yesterday at 04:34 PMTone is all about how you focus the air through the aperture, and also the shape of your oral cavity and tongue, AND also the fact that both of those things are somewhat related to one another. All of these things also are affected by the resistance that your trombone presents (or doesn't present).

These things all also change based on the register you're playing in. Your question might as well be "how do I get real good at playing a brass instrument?". It might seem cliche but in order to get the tone you want you need to practice, listen, tweak, practice, listen, tweak --- until you get where you think you want to be. Then you reassess...

Interesting thoughts, harrison - but doesn't directly hit the nail on the head, if I'd been the one asking Image
I know at least for myself, doing lots of glisses from positions 1-6 and at all dynamics improved what I considered my 'core', in just a week - a more focused, more in-tujne, easier to control, brighter sound for much less effort.
It DID indeed get me to focus my aperture and moved me into a more puckered embouchure. Since then, I've been a bit slack with low brass, focusing more on trumpet, and I can tell that my lack of maintenance has caused me to LOSE what I considered to 'core'. Take this with s grain of salt, but it worked for me!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Dave, your answer also essentially said "practice more", since the act of glissing is not actually what creates more core in the sound.

The question is a tough nut to crack. I suspect if a teacher actually knew the one true answer, there wouldn't be so many different methods and teaching styles.
ttf_norbie2009

Post by ttf_norbie2009 »

This may sound counter intuitive, but try getting the feeling of a smaller aperture when playing. I say feeling because it is not something you can directly see but is something you can experience. You might want to also try moving from the center of pitch to center of pitch. That's both visualizing it and hearing it. This tends to focus the aperture and gives more focus and core to sound. Experiment with this and see if you get results.
ttf_trb420

Post by ttf_trb420 »

Quote from: norbie2009 on Yesterday at 05:28 PMThis may sound counter intuitive, but try getting the feeling of a smaller aperture when playing. I say feeling because it is not something you can directly see but is something you can experience. You might want to also try moving from the center of pitch to center of pitch. That's both visualizing it and hearing it. This tends to focus the aperture and gives more focus and core to sound. Experiment with this and see if you get results.

What do you mean by moving from center of pitch to center of pitch?
ttf_norbie2009

Post by ttf_norbie2009 »

Try and play down the middle of the note, focusing on the middle or center of each pitch as you play from one note to the next. Again, it's both something you can hear aurally and visualize. It may be something that someone else far more talented then I could explain, but I've tried it in my own playing and it seems to work (as an advanced amateur/low tier professional).
ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Another generic visual:

A teacher once told me to strive for an embouchure more vertical   |
than horizontal   _

Also:
"Air"
and
"Corners"

...are the two words I drill into myself if my tone is sounding flabby. There's obviously more, but it can be a good place to start.
ttf_Nanook

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Quote from: LowrBrass on Yesterday at 07:37 PMAnother generic visual:

A teacher once told me to strive for an embouchure more vertical   |
than horizontal   _

I'm working on that now myself...My instructor tells me to "grip the mouth piece" with the edge of my lips.That gives me a more vertical aperture, and to minimize movement, and retain firmness...I have the tendency to change my embouchure too much for every note I'm attempting to play....That's my nickel. 

Also:
"Air"
and
"Corners"

...are the two words I drill into myself if my tone is sounding flabby. There's obviously more, but it can be a good place to start.

ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

trb420,  If you know how to make a "fluffy" tone, how do you think that you might make a nasal or pinched sound? Learn to adjust your aperture or "lip reed size" to suit; too broad or unfocused, draw it in. Too nasal or tight, relax it outward. And be sure to adjust for differing volumes.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: trb420 on Yesterday at 03:44 PMI notice that a lot of times, at least in my perception, my sound lacks core, and sounds "fluffy", or maybe not as intense as I'd like. It's hard to qualify a sound with words, but hopefully you get the idea. Is there any way to work on my sound, like other than just long tones, to work on getting more core in it? My intonation is solid, so I doubt it's an issue of tuning.

Playing a simple melody and make it sound beautiful is in fact a basic method that's very effective. Imagine a bunch of trombone players listen it and make it sound as beautiful as possible. Or simply play a melody for a friend that is not playing any instruments. Try to impress him with a beautiful sound. Sometimes long notes or etudes doesn't work. Have a sound goal!

Leif
ttf_goldentone

Post by ttf_goldentone »

Playing short notes with lots of front or using breathe attacks can dial in the core to your sound. play a 3 or 4 octave scale at a fairly slow to moderate tempo playing a firm quarter note and then rest for a beat. Focus on immediate sound and perfect pitch. Practice Fortissimo at first and then try it softer.
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Quote from: savio on Jun 29, 2017, 01:47PMPlaying a simple melody and make it sound beautiful is in fact a basic method that's very effective. Imagine a bunch of trombone players listen it and make it sound as beautiful as possible. Or simply play a melody for a friend that is not playing any instruments. Try to impress him with a beautiful sound. Sometimes long notes or etudes doesn't work. Have a sound goal!

Leif

The best suggestion so far.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: savio on Jun 29, 2017, 01:47PMPlaying a simple melody and make it sound beautiful is in fact a basic method that's very effective. Imagine a bunch of trombone players listen it and make it sound as beautiful as possible. Or simply play a melody for a friend that is not playing any instruments. Try to impress him with a beautiful sound. Sometimes long notes or etudes doesn't work. Have a sound goal!

Leif

How is trying to change a sound by imagining it, but without involving any physical change going to work? It's more efficient to try to understand the relationship between the components that create sound, good and bad, and then practicing to improve from that new point.
Practicing repeatedly from an erroneous position may feel noble, but it's a waste of practice time unless one gets lucky with a random moment of insight.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: Pre59 on Yesterday at 03:58 AMHow is trying to change a sound by imagining it, but without involving any physical change going to work? It's more efficient to try to understand the relationship between the components that create sound, good and bad, and then practicing to improve from that new point.
Practicing repeatedly from an erroneous position may feel noble, but it's a waste of practice time unless one gets lucky with a random moment of insight.

I think you'll be surprised at what the body will do automatically to facilitate a sound, once you have developed a solid mental sound concept.  That's a primary reason why top level musicians sound the same even when they periodically switch instruments.  Or, conversely, when two different top level musicians alternately play the same instrument.  Each one still sounds like them.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra, "90 percent of music is mental, the other 90% is physical." Image

--Andy in OKC
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: afugate on Yesterday at 04:43 AM That's a primary reason why top level musicians sound the same even when they periodically switch instruments. 

--Andy in OKC

What about the musicians who didn't become top level. Did they spent their formative years throwing (metaphorical) "mud" at a wall in the hope that some of it sticks?

I'll put my faith into a physical model, an adaptable flexible embouchure tuned to the changing needs of range, volume, and flexibility any day. But, hopefully guided by musical context etc.
ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

Lots of good advice already. I'll add using vibrato. Using vibrato will help you develop a feel for where the center of the note is, and it will force you to keep your corners engaged the whole time. Its like when a hockey goalie hits the bars around the net behind him with his stick for a spatial reference.

I'm not saying to just use vibrato all the time. Use it as a tool.

Flutter tongue can also be useful in the same way. 

I like to work on sound quality while playing lots of slow slurs on the staff. 
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Quote from: Pre59 on Yesterday at 05:50 AMWhat about the musicians who didn't become top level. Did they spent their formative years throwing (metaphorical) "mud" at a wall in the hope that some of it sticks?

I'll put my faith into a physical model, an adaptable flexible embouchure tuned to the changing needs of range, volume, and flexibility any day. But, hopefully guided by musical context etc.
You would be suprized over the number of players who spendt formative years throwing mud at the wall. Actually to think of a beautiful sound was new to them in the pratice room.
Many players have no idea about how they sound.
Of course some help with a physical model is often a help, If the physical model is understood right. Think of all the good tips you can read on TTF, and how you can follow the tip "exactly" as worded, with no luck. Any advice can be taken more then one way. Like simple things: the letter M, how many different ways are there to say letter M? Keep your corners firm. How firm, exactly where are the corners? And the tongue! well there you are.
And most of all, If you do all the physicle model things right, but with no sound consept, it wont work. If you have a strong sound consept you know what to strive for. Sure a good teacher is usually a good help. Do play some beautiful music and try to sound like the best player in the world. That is exactly what many good players have done.

ttf_ssking2b

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

The onus is all on you to control your sound, but you can add an ACCOUSTICOIL to your horn to help increase the horn's natural focus.  Sceptics abound, but it works well for many folks I know, including me. On an 88H that my college teachers all said I had a "POO POO POO" sound to articulations - meaning not well defined - the ACCOUSTICOIL helped me solve that issue!
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Yesterday at 09:13 AMYou would be suprized over the number of players who spendt formative years throwing mud at the wall. Actually to think of a beautiful sound was new to them in the pratice room.
Of course some help with a physical model is often a help, If the physical model is understood right. Think of all the good tips you can read on TTF, and how you can follow the tip "exactly" as worded, with no luck. Any advice can be taken more then one way. Like simple things: the letter M, how many different ways are there to say letter M? Keep your corners firm. How firm, exactly where are the corners? And the tongue! well there you are.
And most of all, If you do all the physicle model things right, but with no sound consept, it wont work. If you have a strong sound consept you know what to strive for. Sure a good teacher is usually a good help. Do play some beautiful music and try to sound like the best player in the world. That is exactly what many good players have done.

Of course a sound concept, and the need to realise it. What would be the point of this whole topic without one?
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Jun 30, 2017, 09:13AMYou would be suprized over the number of players who spendt formative years throwing mud at the wall. Actually to think of a beautiful sound was new to them in the pratice room.

Exactly, and read what he said about sound concept. If we dont have it in our practice room, nothing we do physical will help. Basics are always good and a simple melody is basic both for technique and  musicality. Its very revealing to play because it doesn't give room for faults. Nor technically or musically. It can help sound and core because of the musical aspect. The body will strive to do the right things, if there is a sound, musical concept.

Of course this is not the only thing to do, there is many roads to Rome.

Basics is also long notes, short notes, articulation, exercises, everything. But i think a simple Melodie is good for sound concept because it is easy to listen what is done wrong, also what is done right.

It's not easy to explain. We have to feel sound and musicality. It has to come from our heart inside.

Well, it's  just my thoughts, and many like Svenne and the other pro players have more experience in how to get the good sounds. Not everything can be explained either. It has to be done in our practice room. And with a teacher.

Leif

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Is everyone confusing "core" sound with overall good sound? I am aware of four parts of a good sound:

1) strong (but not too strong) core

2) rich overtone series

3) a little edge or bite

4) openness

Is it possible for Player A to have a strong core sound but not as nice an overall sound as Player B b/c Player B has the other elements as well?

Are there more elements? I don't count articulation or decay as elements of a good sound b/c if one would chop them off the beginning and end, respectively of a wave of a good sound, that good sound would still remain. I count those elements as contributing to musicality.

...Geezer
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Jun 30, 2017, 10:30AM
Are there more elements? I don't count articulation or decay as elements of a good sound b/c if one would chop them off the beginning and end, respectively of a wave of a good sound, that good sound would still remain. I count those elements as contributing to musicality.

...Geezer

Usually, the sound has to fit in with, or be appropriate to the playing style. So it might be that one has a huge orchestral tone, or a compact but smooth studio one, but find oneself in a situation where it doesn't work. If the instrument type has to be played very loudly before it comes to life, or it's too lively at a relatively quiet level, it stands to reason that the sound concept is wrong for the situation.
Assuming though that you're in the right situation for your set-up, there's still room for tonal variation. Like hardening the tone out a little to fit in a parallel line under a trumpet, or thickening it out to support a tnr sax, or reinforce a bass line etc. Then there's the more variable personal approach for a ballad.
Insisting that there's only one good tone and it's unchangeable on one's horn is a little myopic, but it may explain why some people own SO many instruments.

ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Jun 30, 2017, 10:30AMIs everyone confusing "core" sound with overall good sound? I am aware of four parts of a good sound:

1) strong (but not too strong) core

2) rich overtone series

3) a little edge or bite

4) openness

The first three of these elements I can visualise, as if on a spectrum analyser, but I'm having trouble with "quantifying," if you like, the fourth element.  That's not to say "openness" doesn't exist or can't be emulated, but it seems a fuzzier concept than the other three.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: growlerbox on Jun 30, 2017, 03:04PMThe first three of these elements I can visualise, as if on a spectrum analyser, but I'm having trouble with "quantifying," if you like, the fourth element.  That's not to say "openness" doesn't exist or can't be emulated, but it seems a fuzzier concept than the other three.

An "open" sound - as far as I am concerned, sounds as though the notes come straight through the horn from the gut, with nothing to impede them - like excessive muscular tension, an excessively tight embouchure, a closed or restricted throat, etc. I believe a lack of "openness" in tone manifests itself in the middle & lower registers as being a bit (or more) raspy or congested-sounding or nasally-sounding and in the upper registers by being a bit (or more) pinched and/or strained. I think the timbre between our very lowest notes vs our very highest notes should sound about the same. Otherwise, we risk sounding like two different trombone players. 

From my listening experience, most tenor trombone players (and I'm waging this battle as well) do not have as open a sound in the lower registers as we ought to have while some bass trombone players have a marvelously open-sounding lower register. A lot of players, both tenor and bass, have what I refer to as a marching-band or hard sound in their lower register, as opposed to a more round ballad-type of sound; the ballad type being more "open". That's not to say that the ballad sound can not be strong. It can be as strong as anything.

For me, developing more openness in my sound has been (and is) a tricky process; just the right balance of tension in the chops. Too much tension and my sound is buzzy. Too little and it becomes unstable.

Yeah, it's tough to describe, but I know it when I hear it. And the above points are just my own thoughts on the subject.

...Geezer
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Jun 30, 2017, 03:45PM
From my listening experience, most tenor trombone players (and I'm waging this battle as well) do not have as open a sound in the lower registers as we ought to have while some bass trombone players have a marvelously open-sounding lower register.

...Geezer

This is why we have SATB instruments, so that they can work in their best ranges?
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Pre59 on Jul 01, 2017, 01:17AMThis is why we have SATB instruments, so that they can work in their best ranges?

Sorry. I'm not familiar with that term.

However, I am of the opinion that we should sound fabulous through-out the entire range of our instrument or we are doing a disservice not only to our own playing, but to the instrument itself. That means striving for a great core sound as well as all the other elements of a great sound.

But we have probably strayed from the original topic of HOW to develop a good core sound. I just wanted to make the point that a core sound is an element of a great sound and that there are other elements b/c the answers posted so far seemed to suggest to me that the respondents were confusing the issue.

...Geezer
ttf_harrison.t.reed

SATB = Soprano alto tenor bass
ttf_patrickosmith

Post by ttf_patrickosmith »

This is a great topic and one that has been discussed many times. I always enjoy reading the advice given. There are so many elements. Here are a few items that haven't been mentioned yet.

One must have a feeling of ease in their core (throat, chest, abdominal muscles) at all times.

Slow lip slurs can help to build your embouchure. Harrison had a great post on that a few years ago together with a YouTube link as I recall.

I started a discussion on the concept of resonance a year or two ago. The idea is that a good core sound comes only when your inputs to the instrument are sympathetically resonating with the instrument. This goes together with always playing with a feeling of ease.

Practicing soft but not too soft.

One other comment: you mentioned you had good intonation. That may be true, but, for other brass instruments to resonate and play in tune together with you, you must have great sounds d.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Jul 01, 2017, 04:27AM
But we have probably strayed from the original topic of HOW to develop a good core sound. I just wanted to make the point that a core sound is an element of a great sound and that there are other elements b/c the answers posted so far seemed to suggest to me that the respondents were confusing the issue.

...Geezer

Core is a relatively new term to me, I'm assuming this a new word for centre?
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Pre59 on Jul 01, 2017, 07:43AMCore is a relatively new term to me, I'm assuming this a new word for centre?

My concept is that core is the density of the center of the sound. It's abstract but it's definitely a thing.

...Geezer
ttf_ericmf13

Post by ttf_ericmf13 »

Getting more core in your sound is less about adding or developing core to your sound but more about taking the Junk out of your sound. Many people in attempt to play with a "Big Dark Sound" often play with an unfocused hollow sound. I will go out on a limb an assume this is what is happening. Think about getting a smaller, maybe even brighter  sound out of the big .574 horn and you will start to find that core that you are looking for. Once you have found that hold on to it and get rid of everything else in your sound.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: patrickosmith on Jul 01, 2017, 04:51AMThis is a great topic and one that has been discussed many times. I always enjoy reading the advice given. There are so many elements. Here are a few items that haven't been mentioned yet.

One must have a feeling of ease in their core (throat, chest, abdominal muscles) at all times.

Slow lip slurs can help to build your embouchure. Harrison had a great post on that a few years ago together with a YouTube link as I recall.

I started a discussion on the concept of resonance a year or two ago. The idea is that a good core sound comes only when your inputs to the instrument are sympathetically resonating with the instrument. This goes together with always playing with a feeling of ease.

Practicing soft but not too soft.

One other comment: you mentioned you had good intonation. That may be true, but, for other brass instruments to resonate and play in tune together with you, you must have great sounds d.

How can doing those things hurt? I think they are fundamental.

...Geezer
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Everybody's advice and suggestions are great, and indeed should be considered.

But, one big consideration no one has mentioned.....the type of mouthpiece you're playing on a particular horn.

You might be trying to get a great core sound on your horn, but there's now way that it'll happen if the mouthpiece isn't matched to you and your horn.

Many of us have spent years trying to fix some aspect of our playing, only to have the correct mouthpiece solve everything instantly.

Well....there's no 'magic bullet....but, the correct mouthpiece (in balance with you and your particular horn) will be very eye/ear opening.

Get to some place in order to check out a bunch of mouthpieces. You might save years of frustration!
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Jun 30, 2017, 10:30AMIs everyone confusing "core" sound with overall good sound? I am aware of four parts of a good sound: (etc.)

Geeze, I personally would classify "general good sound" according to the ADSR curve, or at the very least ASR. I know LOADS of players with an EXCELLENT tone quality in their Sustain, but their Attacks are always too soft/non arrticulate or often crack. I personally am one with a good Attack and Release, but my Sustain COULD actually use a bit more core-building lately.

Not that this helps the OP... Just my personal thoughts.

Back to the conversation.... carry on!  Image
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: cmillar on Jul 18, 2017, 05:12PMEverybody's advice and suggestions are great, and indeed should be considered.

But, one big consideration no one has mentioned.....the type of mouthpiece you're playing on a particular horn.

You might be trying to get a great core sound on your horn, but there's now way that it'll happen if the mouthpiece isn't matched to you and your horn.

Many of us have spent years trying to fix some aspect of our playing, only to have the correct mouthpiece solve everything instantly.

Well....there's no 'magic bullet....but, the correct mouthpiece (in balance with you and your particular horn) will be very eye/ear opening.

Get to some place in order to check out a bunch of mouthpieces. You might save years of frustration!

I am not sure I agree with this.... I agree that finding a mouthpiece that makes projecting your sound concept easier is exciting, but I just do not think that any mouthpiece can solve core technical issues. You can get more core in the sound without blaming gear. Going somewhere to play "a bunch of mouthpieces" I think puts you in danger of causing more problems than what its trying to solve.
What I think should happen is that you take the question of this thread to a competent teacher who can see and hear you play. They should advise you on exercises and routines to practice that put in place good habits and can get you producing quality sound easily and consistently. If after working on the exercises etc... for some time, and i mean proper time, not just a week or two, you don't see improvement, then perhaps the teacher could suggest a gear change, but be present when you try stuff out, so you have ears in front of the bell as well as your own from behind. This is important, because the sound you hear from behind the bell is rarely an accurate representation of what an audience hears many meters out in the performance venue.

What I think I am trying to say is that you will see more benefit and understanding of your instrument and how to make it work by experimenting in the practice room with techniques and concepts that help you produce sound, rather than randomly trying gear that may or may not slap a band aid on poor technique.

You will notice that the very best players will usually say in regards to gear, that they "sound like me on whatever I play" but choose gear that makes what they do easier, not out of necessity. They have the ability to sound good on whatever. They are in control of what they play, Its Not the gear dictating how they play.

For my own curiosity  (I am always happy to be proved wrong and learn) what was the context in which you found a mouthpiece that as you say; "solved everything instantly"?
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: cmillar on Jul 18, 2017, 05:12PM
..one big consideration no one has mentioned.....the type of mouthpiece you're playing on a particular horn.

I could have written this post. For years I used a VB 11C, then a Marc 11, but it was only when i changed my main horn and m/p almost at the same time did I get close to my sound concept.

ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I think nearly all posts have some points that affects core and sound. So that means there is many factors that makes it.

I think the first thing we need is a sound concept. Without it can be difficult to work against a goal. Then we need equipment that suit us. A good slide, a mouthpiece that fits us and the trombone. Then we need to work and practice. It takes time but also we need to work correctly. A good teacher that guide us can speed up things. Then we also need to play and listen to others. So we learn to make our sound fit in to ensembles. Core is the essence to make it fit and project out to the room.

There has to be a balance between all this factors too. Too much attention to one factor can disturb. But i believe work and practice is what we have to do everyday. We see all the good players have worked a lot.

Ok, one coffee and I see if I get the core. It's going up and down every day, but the clue is to not give up!

Leif
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Q: How do you get more core in the sound?

A #1: Long tones

A #2: Relatively slow melodic playing

A #3: A well-balanced embouchure/air/support mechanism, including an open throat and not too much back of the tongue action

A #4: Well chosen, well balanced equipment. The right equipment and size(s) for your own particular tonal preferences

A #5: Not neglecting the middle and lower ranges

A #6: More long tones

S.

ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Jul 18, 2017, 08:09PM

For my own curiosity  (I am always happy to be proved wrong and learn) what was the context in which you found a mouthpiece that as you say; "solved everything instantly"?

Sure...I've run into many occasions where I have definitely run across a mouthpiece that gave me the concept of the sound I've been after for a horn, and my imagination.

(Mind you, I've been playing seriously now for over 30 years in all kinds of musical situations, and I've had great teachers and mentors along the way who influenced my concept of trombone sound....not to mention all the other players that one gets to sit next to and listen to along the way.)

The most basic example (as I'm sure it applies to countless other trombone players of my generation):

- as a younger player, I had my 'legit' horn and my 'commercial' horn. I had a great core sound on my Conn 88H with a Bach5G mouthpiece, and I had a Bach 16M as my 'commercial' horn. I'd played and practiced my Conn much more than my Bach in my student years, and whenever I played the Bach, I was playing fine and making it, but I was never totally happy with the sound. All I knew was that Bach made mouthpieces. I knew of Schilke, but none others. (This is back in the early '80's, and there wasn't much to choose from when you lived in western Canada, or even in Toronto.)

So, I tried a million different Bach 11C's until I found one that matched up with the horn without sounding too 'woofy' and unfocused... and, as a bonus, might have given me some extra high range without backing up the air.

Then, I discovered different manufacturers and found out that were indeed different possibilities. Eureka!

Wow...I tried a Purivance in the old Bach, and presto...instant core, instant high range.....(but, it cut like a  laser beam most of the time and I couldn't use it in a pit situation or small jazz combo situation.)

Then I discovered Marcinkiewicz variations.....again! presto!....and then I finally discovered that Schilke made mouthpieces that were smaller than 51B's or 51's.....and again, presto!.....the old Bach sprang to life in ways that my shoe-box full of Bach mouthpieces couldn't do.

And, as my playing changed through being stronger, more understanding of what's needed for high range, low range, what the tongue's doing, remembering to breath properly again and again, etc. etc. etc......

We can't forget that the human body changes over the years, as well. People get dental work, lose weight, gain weight, change diets, get glasses, get hit in the lip, get scars, loose teeth, chip a tooth, break an arm, loose postural strenght, etc.....and all of these life changes can effect a brass player.

We're physical being trying to make sounds on inert substances! Everybody is different.

(...my kudos go to Sam Burtis, who has made this point over and over....and also, his trick of putting teflon tape on the shanks of mouthpieces is another wonderful tool in finding the core sound that a particular mouthpiece will give on a particular horn....I'm going through this on my current Bach 16 brass slide/ Bach 16M bell combo right now....the leadpipe is extremely worn at the top, but I like the overall feel and sound of the horn....I got it at Dillon's a couple of years ago....maybe it was one of Sam's old horns? (lol))

Point being, I've switched main horns several times, and along with that goes the search for the right mouthpiece.

I really envy someone who is able to use the same horn and same mouthpiece their whole career....they'd save a ton of money!
And today's students have a huge advantage, as they're growing up in a time of many choices of horns and mouthpieces.
There's almost no excuse now as to not finding a combination that will work for any individual if one is fortunate enough to be able to try out the different offerings.

So, I can waste a lot of space and time here with my own example, but I'm not alone.

Enough of me....I'm waiting for another mouthpiece to arrive in the mail in a day or two! And, I won't stop contemplating a switch in horns either even if this mouthpiece doesn't give me some 'core' and nimbleness that I'm looking for on this horn. What I have is working, but I've played other horns to know that there are some fantastic options out there.

.... good teachers, good role models, good horn, good mouthpiece, good practice routines, good health = good 'core'

ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I'm coming to the conversation late, so I'm not sure what your starting point is, but in general for more core, I go smaller with everything. Mpc, bore, bell dia, slide width.

I've got 2 8hs. One has an Elkhart bell and an Elkhart 547 slide. If you replace the slide with a SL2525, you get a clearer sound. Replace the bell with a smaller 8" bell (custom 8h 8" bell), and it is clearer yet. Replace the slide again with a custom narrower crook, lightweight construction, and it sounds like a much smaller bore horn.

I think extremes should be avoided, but I like this configuration.

Or, you can get a Yamaha trombone. I find Yamahas to have a simpler, clearer, "more core" than Conns in particular. Not to say one is better or worse. I've been listening to the Conn sound for so long, it's pretty ingrained at this point.

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I just want to throw this out there as a thought for discussion: core vs openness.

Try playing a long tone on any note in the middle range. While maintaining the long tone, gradually increase the tension in the chops - while maintaining the pitch of the note - to the point where the note sounds tight and buzzy. Now play the long tone note again and this time gradually relax the tension in the chops - while maintaining the pitch of the note - until the note breaks up or double-buzzes. If your embouchure is set right to begin with, somewhere in-between both extremes ought to be a very pretty sound with just the right amount of core vs openness.

I discovered this while getting a more open sound in my lower/middle range a while ago. Feel free to disagree.

In light of the other thread that just opened up on a definition of core, my post above where I state, "ought to be a very pretty sound" doesn't necessarily mean one's BEST sound. That comes with the inclusion of other elements, such as edge, bite, overtones, attitude and such.

...Geezer   
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I just want to throw this out there as a thought for discussion: core vs openness.

Try playing a long tone on any note in the middle range. While maintaining the long tone, gradually increase the tension in the chops - while maintaining the pitch of the note - to the point where the note sounds tight and buzzy. Now play the long tone note again and this time gradually relax the tension in the chops - while maintaining the pitch of the note - until the note breaks up or double-buzzes. If your embouchure is set right to begin with, somewhere in-between both extremes ought to be a very pretty sound with just the right amount of core vs openness.

I discovered this while getting a more open sound in my lower/middle range a while ago. Feel free to disagree.

In light of the other thread that just opened up on a definition of core, my post above where I state, "ought to be a very pretty sound" doesn't necessarily mean one's BEST sound. That comes with the inclusion of other elements, such as edge, bite, overtones, attitude and such.

...Geezer   

Return to “Practice Room”