Alessi T2 Leadpipe

ttf_tbonegeek93

Alessi T2 Leadpipe

Post by ttf_tbonegeek93 »

Hey guys!

Anyone out there use this leadpipe for an extended amount of time?  I recently purchased an Edwards T350-HB and I'm going through the paces with leadpipes.  I find the T2 Brass to be too diffused in sound, but the T2 Long Brass to have too much back pressure.

This seemed closer to what I've been looking for and I just wanted some input from people that have used it.

Thanks!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Alessi T2 Leadpipe

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I believe this is the pipe in the T-396A which I play. It's super open. It might be in between a 2 and 3 pipe.
ttf_tbonegeek93

Alessi T2 Leadpipe

Post by ttf_tbonegeek93 »

Interesting.  I used to play on a t396A but I found it to be a little too tight overall but I don't know how much the valve contributed to that.
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Alessi T2 Leadpipe

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

I think the pipe in the T-396A is not the same as the Sterling Alessi model pipe that was made for the T-350, although I would suspect that there are similarities. I think Cristan re-designed the pipe to fit the new horn.

I play a T-350 w/the Alessi pipe - good  product. It is a bit open - shorter than the standard sterling pipes, and maybe just a bit longer than the standard brass pipes.  I would say that it plays between a #2 and #3 brass pipe, with a more colorful sound spectrum than the brass pipes.

A call to Edwards to talk to Christan or one of the other people there might save you from purchasing something that doesn't quite work for you. A trip to see them is even better, but costly. I've found them to be very helpful and they know their stuff.

Jim Scott
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Alessi T2 Leadpipe

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

It's funny. I thought that the stock T-396A had been a huge mistake on my part BECAUSE of the silver alessi leadpipe.

Then I put the #1 copper pillar in the leadpipe hole on the brace....

game changer.
ttf_trombonemetal

Alessi T2 Leadpipe

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

The Alessi T2 is great. Works much better than any of the brass pipes I've tried on my T350HB. Feels more open but also slots better than the brass T2. It's easier to change tone color. The high range is much easier.

I also played an Alessi T1 for a few months but ultimately stuck with the Alessi T2. I also tested it against an Edwards MV 42 pipe and a Brass Ark seemed nickel MV42 and found the Alessi T2 to be the clear winner.

I also play an Edwards bass and find that the silver pipes work much better than brass ones.
ttf_Matt K

Alessi T2 Leadpipe

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I'm really digging the silver pipes I've tried so far myself.  Gives a really nice density to the sound that I don't get with brass ones. Part of that I'm sure is the length; the silver pipes are typically quite long.

Alessi T2 Leadpipe

Quote from: Matt K on Today at 11:45 AMI'm really digging the silver pipes I've tried so far myself.  Gives a really nice density to the sound that I don't get with brass ones. Part of that I'm sure is the length; the silver pipes are typically quite long.
Actually, I think it's the material. The Alessi pipe is cut down to very nearly the same length as the standard brass ones. Same for the Kitzman pipe, and a few other custom sterling pipes that Edwards sells. Not sure why the standard sterling pipes are longer than the standard brass ones, but it must have been what they got the best results from when they first introduced that option. I think that they have a lot of other custom leadpipes that weren't available when I bought my horn, and they no longer have the specs on their website. I have sterling pipes in my alto, small tenor and large bore tenor, and found all of them to be an improvement over the brass ones.

Jim Scott

Alessi T2 Leadpipe

Quote from: Matt K on Today at 11:45 AMI'm really digging the silver pipes I've tried so far myself.  Gives a really nice density to the sound that I don't get with brass ones. Part of that I'm sure is the length; the silver pipes are typically quite long.
Actually, I think it's the material. The Alessi pipe is cut down to very nearly the same length as the standard brass ones. Same for the Kitzman pipe, and a few other custom sterling pipes that Edwards sells. Not sure why the standard sterling pipes are longer than the standard brass ones, but it must have been what they got the best results from when they first introduced that option. I think that they have a lot of other custom leadpipes that weren't available when I bought my horn, and they no longer have the specs on their website. I have sterling pipes in my alto, small tenor and large bore tenor, and found all of them to be an improvement over the brass ones.

Jim Scott

Return to “Accessories”