Counterweights

ttf_Farore

Counterweights

Post by ttf_Farore »

Are there counterweights that fit a Besson 737 (king 3b clone) with f-attachment? I bought this instrument but it is bell heavy. It hurts my hand to play since I'm trying to balance it. I'm ready to resort to taping random objects to balance it.

Otherwise I may need to trade this instrument for an old Yamaha f-attachment. I'm getting marks from playing it and I feel like I'm getting carpal tunnel Image

ttf_anonymous

Counterweights

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Can you tell me the diameter of the tube you would like to mount the counter balance to. I have some experimental balancers that I just have not had time to pursue I would send one to you to try. The experiment was moving the mounting point off center to allow the player to rotate the balancer to not only move weight forward and back but also side to side to compansate for what I call yaw. I am not sure I am using  the term correctly. I also made a place to insert different types of material 1/4 inch diameter rods of different lengths and materials to possibly affect the sound as many believe makes a big or no difference at all.  Any way I have a few of them either eight ounce or six ounce. they would only fit a .383 or .420 diameter . Keep in mind these are prototypes they are not buffed and lacqerd. I will only ask for input on my design positive or negative. Also if you are not in the states I would ask for help with shipping. You can pm me or contact me through Instrument Innovations.com
Mike Olsen
ttf_baileyman

Counterweights

Post by ttf_baileyman »

A quick solution is to get a roll of thick solder in the plumbing section of a hardware store. You can wrap it around a brace to get exactly the balance you want. Then unwrap it when the right weight shows up.

ttf_eightyeightH

Counterweights

Post by ttf_eightyeightH »

Can't help with a counterweight, but hornucopia says the 737f was .525" (737 straight listed as .500"; so one, or both could be wrong)- so maybe not a 3B clone. The valve wrap is similar.
ImageImage

But this does beg the question - would a 3B counterweight fit? I would have thought most brass repairers have at least one of those knocking about.

ttf_renbaroque

Counterweights

Post by ttf_renbaroque »

King made it for sure, but it is 607F "clone," not 3B. That said, I am fairly confident that the diameter of the tuning slide brace would be the same as that of 3B.
ttf_renbaroque

Counterweights

Post by ttf_renbaroque »

King made it for sure, but it is 607F "clone," not 3B. That said, I am fairly confident that the diameter of the tuning slide brace would be the same as that of 3B.

Return to “Accessories”