C melody slide positions?????

ttf_JerryT

Post by ttf_JerryT »

I’m a newbe here, I have an old trombone and tons of music (scores) that I’d like to eventually play.  The rub is, its all treble clef music and I read treble clef Image.  Is there a source that would show me slide positions corresponding to the written music in the key that is written?  I read the post “what 'key' is the trombone in?” with the expectation that it would answer my question, but alas, it confused me (not hard to do). Image
Ciao,
Jerry
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This is a harder question than you think.  I may need some more information about what you have.

Are the books written for a Trumpet in treble clef or are they in treble clef sounding as written (piano, violin, etc.)?

Are you familiar with trombone as a transposing treble clef instrument?  I.e., are you a Brass Bander?

If you play trombone in transposing treble clef, you need to move the regular treble clef notes up a whole step.  If you see a C, you should play your D:  Image Image should be read/played as  Image Image

If you play trombone in bass clef and can read clefs, transposing treble clef parts can be read as tenor clef.

If you want to read regular treble clef music, you probably want to read down an octave:  Image Image is played as  Image Image

I hope I haven't confused you any.  Try to explain better where you are and where you want to go and maybe I can be more helpful.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

An actual "C" trombone is quite rarer than Bb trombones. You probably have a Bb trombone.

Do you play this trombone well enough to make notes on it?  What notes does it make in first position?

QuoteThe rub is, its all treble clef music and I read treble clef. Is there a source that would show me slide positions corresponding to the written music in the key that is written?
This is a bit tricky because most of the range of a trombone is below the treble clef staff. Are you intending to play the music at the written pitch or an octave down to better fit the trombone range?

ttf_JerryT

Post by ttf_JerryT »

Long story … back in the mid 50’s, (yeah, I’m old) I was volunteered to play trombone in our new high school band.  Our principle brought in the much revered Donald S. Reinhardt who attempted to turn a couple of guitar and accordion players into trombonists almost instantly.  I learned very mechanically and we were able to pull it off for 3 years.  After high school, I joined a community band and “borrowed” the instrument belonging to the high school and got caught.  One of the band members offered one of his horns - a Holten Paul Whiteman model tenor horn - for $50.00,  I paid him $5.00 a week.  But, shortly after, I joined a combo with accordion and vocals and the trombone was put in storage ‘till now.     Over the years, I’ve collected tons on music, fake books etc.  I still perform, vocals and now, keytar with tracks.  I’ve always fantasized playing a verse or 2 with the trombone.  The horn needs some work and before I send it out for repair, I wanted to determine if I could play from where I am, musically.  I was kind of inspired by a friend, who was able to learn corresponding C melody fingering on a Bb trumpet. 
Sorry for being so long winded …
Ciao,
Jerry   
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Sounds like you are used to reading treble clef at concert pitch.

You can easily build yourself a position chart.  Get a bass clef position chart (easy to find).  Trombone bass clef is also at concert pitch.  Whatever the name of the note in the bass clef is will be the same name in treble clef and the same fingering.

Example to get you started: Middle C (bass clef one line above the staff) is the same note as Middle C (treble clef one line below the staff).  Both are played in third position. 

Another way to get a treble clef position chart would be to enter scales in bass clef using a notation program and annotate the scales with positions.  Then tell the notation program to transpose to treble clef.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Wow, another Whiteman owner!  I have one too.  Only mine has slide problems that even the Slide Doctor wouldn't try to fix.

I learned to read treble clef in concert pitch since Fake Books were much easier to find like that.  I hope somebody could prepare a quick and dirty chart for you, but your first position includes Bb 2 lines below the treble staff, F 1st space on the treble staff, Bb middle of the treble staff, D 4th line, F top of the treble staff, and Bb 2 lines (and a space) above the treble staff.  This is actually an octave below what you would hear on a piano or accordion.
ttf_Roscotrombone

Post by ttf_Roscotrombone »

Surely when playing concert treble it's like playing it in Bb in the sense that you're playing it sounding an octave lower? Otherwise the music is unreadable due to the ledger lines (like a Bb treble clef bass trombone part in a brass band!) or a lot of people couldn't play in the proper pitch range all the time.

So regardless of bass/treble an F is in 1st,G in 4th etc. It's just realising the pitch for treble.

Or am I missing something?

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

As I see it , he wants something like vocal tenor notation, written in Treble clef but sounds an octave lower.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Here's what i think he wants...

ttf_JerryT

Post by ttf_JerryT »

WOW!  Thanks for all the help!  Next week is very busy and I need a couple of days to digest this info.  I'll be back with a progress report in a couple of weeks ...
Ciao
ttf_JerryT

Post by ttf_JerryT »

Special thank to Robcat ... this may be the ticket Bob.
Ciao
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Now, ahm warnin' ya kid... that ain't the way it's supposed to werk.   Image

If y'all show up to yer orchestra ree-hearsal spectin' the music to be lahk that, they's gonna kick yer ass out to eight position.

But fer now... it'll get ya started.  Image
ttf_JerryT

Post by ttf_JerryT »

Thanks again Bob ... youze guys tawk funny in Texas

ttf_JerryT

Post by ttf_JerryT »

Thanks again Bob ... youze guys tawk funny in Texas

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”