Looking for high school jazz ensemble tunes featuring a trombone soloist

ttf_Triggz

Post by ttf_Triggz »

Hello! My high school jazz ensemble is looking for pieces to play next school year, and so of course I'm looking for trombone solo features. Not the tunes that have a 12 bar blues for the trombone somewhere in the middle - I'm looking for something that features the trombone for a good portion of the tune. Preferably level 4, but the director is willing to let us play level 3 or 5. On sites without numbered levels, generally something that has "medium" or "medium easy" or "medium advanced" is good. The director doesn't want a ballad, but I can keep in mind for the future. Here is our instrumentation:
2 alto sax
2 tenor sax
1 bari sax
2 or 3 trombones (it's okay of the piece calls for 4 trombones)
4 trumpets
Bass
Guitar
Piano
Drum set
So far I've come up with Charade (Composer: Henry Mancini, Arranger: Mark Taylor, Level: 4) and The Way We Were (Composers: Alan Bergman, Marvin Hamlisch, Marilyn Bergman, Arranger: Mark Taylor, Level: 4), which I've already "submitted" suggestions for. I've also found a song called Buckjump (Arranger: John Watson, Level: Medium) that I may also submit. I've been looking songs where I can listen and/or view the score. Any kind of jazz ensemble tune that features a trombone soloist (and preferably no other soloist), that isn't a ballad, and is a good level for our ensemble, I'm interested in listening to and/or viewing the score. I've listened to many in the past few days and I'm so overwhelmed! Plus, it becomes difficult to find them when you're looking for trombone SOLO features and not trombone SECTION features. Please, if you have any suggestions, let me know and give me a link. Thanks a lot!
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

How about the Al Grey arrangement of "Things ain't what they used to be"? However, it's a 12 bar blues....
ttf_Woolworth

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

Start your search here.  You can sort by difficulty, view scores, and listen to sound clips.

https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/jazz-charts-trombone-solo.list

More here:

http://www.sierramusicstore.com/Trombones_solo_s/35.htm
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

When time for a ballad comes round, try Dave Wolpe's arrangement of "Misty".  "Trajectory" by Robert Curnow is my high school did way back, with Urbie Green as guest soloist, but I can't find it in print anywhere. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-6iv_e7DJc.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There's a piece we do in my Shriner Big Band called "Jazz Man".  Features trombone.
ttf_DaveAshley

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

'Frankie and Johnny and a Trombone Guy' arr. by Tom Kubis
ttf_Arranger-Transcriber

Post by ttf_Arranger-Transcriber »

Robert Curnow's "Trajectory" or "Trajectory for Trombone" dates from 1971.  Here's Urbie Green's performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-6iv_e7DJc

It's been out of print for quite some time, but I can lead you to a copy of the arrangement if you're interested.
ttf_Krazzikk

Post by ttf_Krazzikk »

Quote from: afugate on May 27, 2017, 04:38AMTall Cotton - Sammy Nestico
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIyP_eMyuYA

http://www.ejazzlines.com/tall-cotton-arranged-by-sammy-nestico

--Andy in OKC

I performed Tall Cotton this year so many times... I absolutely love it. The written grand F was a killer though.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: gregs70 on May 27, 2017, 01:32PMWhen time for a ballad comes round, try Dave Wolpe's arrangement of "Misty".  "Trajectory" by Robert Curnow is my high school did way back, with Urbie Green as guest soloist, but I can't find it in print anywhere. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-6iv_e7DJc.

Don't take our repertoire, Buddy (here speaks a trumpeter)  Image half jokingly, half true (I meant misty)... Of course you can, but there are so much music that is specially designed for tbone where one can show off with what tbone can do best. As for trajectory, that WHSB sound so professional I can barely believe it.

There was a piece very similar to Last Fiesta (Latin feel in 3) but I cannot recall the name - Trombo-something - When I get home I will look it up for you.

Trombo-thing...not, I forgot it was a German thing - Posaunero - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjJ7Zk7-JXU

You don't have to squeak all those notes the soloist does, but if you can...go for it. It says blaskapelle, but to me it sounds more lik a a big band...Nice feature.
ttf_Triggz

Post by ttf_Triggz »

Some of these suggestions are tuned that I really like and has added to my "jazz ens." playlist. I really wish we could do them, and personally I would have no problem playing them, but they're too hard for many of the players in the jazz ensemble. You're so limited by your peers when you're in high school!

We did a song called "Misty" that featured a trumpet. I don't rememeber how it went, at all, or any of the people that composed and arranged it.

I found another song, How High the Moon (Morgan Lewis, arr. Dave Wolpe) using a search for "medium" level jazz pieces featuring a trombone solo(s) on JW Pepper (thanks for the link). I think I'll suggest that too. Still looking for more though. I have until noon EST on Wednesday. Anybody have anything that they know is not leveled as "advanced" or "difficult?" Maybe an arrangement of something that makes it easier for a high school jazz ensemble? Thanks!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

How High the Moon is actually a section feature.  It has ad lib solos of 1 chorus for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (actually the 3rd trombone solo is a little less than a chorus).  There are nicely written out solos so you don't need to improvise if you don't want to.  Our 3rd player can't quite do it, so I play his solo on bass trombone (restructured to be a bass trombone solo).  Actually, I've had to play the 3rd trombone solo in TWO big bands.
ttf_Triggz

Post by ttf_Triggz »

I'm on first part. Our second is working on their tone quality, but can play written and improv. Our third will not be much contribution IF the directer even accepts them in due to their "what's improv" and "what's a chord" stupidity, but at least they have the enthusiasm to play more than required. That would be the problem right there. I wish I had discovered that song and we could've played it for this school year. This year there are 4 of us, 2 including me (that are playing next school year) who can play improv solos and written solos. Personally, I like improv. But anyways, knowing the piece yourself Bruce, do you think that me and the second player could use the third's part to "fill in that gap" within our own parts? It's pretty dumb that we won't have a bass trombonist next school year, but I've never liked them so at least I get THAT freedom lol. We'll just have to work around it for a year or two or three.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The 3rd Trombone solo starts on bar 5 of the melody.  Either of you could take a chorus but remember that you aren't starting at the beginning of the tune (so it's only 12 bars instead of 16).

I'm sorry you don't like bass trombones.  The 4th voice fills the section parts nicely in that tune.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: Triggz on Yesterday at 04:10 PMI found another song, How High the Moon (Morgan Lewis, arr. Dave Wolpe) using a search for "medium" level jazz pieces featuring a trombone solo(s) on JW Pepper (thanks for the link). I think I'll suggest that too. Still looking for more though. I have until noon EST on Wednesday. Anybody have anything that they know is not leveled as "advanced" or "difficult?" Maybe an arrangement of something that makes it easier for a high school jazz ensemble? Thanks!

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 05:01 PMHow High the Moon is actually a section feature.  It has ad lib solos of 1 chorus for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (actually the 3rd trombone solo is a little less than a chorus).  There are nicely written out solos so you don't need to improvise if you don't want to.  Our 3rd player can't quite do it, so I play his solo on bass trombone (restructured to be a bass trombone solo).  Actually, I've had to play the 3rd trombone solo in TWO big bands.

This is a good feature tune.  Well written.  Definitely playable by a high school band, but your bone section needs to be able to "sell" the tune to the audience.

--Andy in OKC
ttf_Triggz

Post by ttf_Triggz »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 28, 2017, 11:37PMI'm sorry you don't like bass trombones.  The 4th voice fills the section parts nicely in that tune.

No, that's not what I meant at all! I said "them" so it was keeping the player's gender anonymous. I meant that I dislike the specific person. Last school year he took private lessons from my private teacher, and I know my teacher is on here, and I don't want my teacher seeing my opinion on that classmate. The player I dislike can't even get my name right... four simple letters. They used to be so cocky when I was down at their playing level. And about 10 other things that make you dislike somebody.
ttf_cigmar

Post by ttf_cigmar »

For a nice ballad look at Allan Horney's arrangement of "Angel Eyes". 
ttf_Triggz

Post by ttf_Triggz »

Quote from: cigmar on May 29, 2017, 09:13AMFor a nice ballad look at Allan Horney's arrangement of "Angel Eyes". 

Haha, just played that tune this school year! The arrangement featured tenor sax. It is a great ballad! At competitions they kept complaining about intonation because, although it was better than the "average" public school's jazz ensemble, it was still out of tune. Director  wouldn't do Angel Eyes or Misty again because we've done them so recently. Maybe when I'm a senior though.
ttf_Triggz

Post by ttf_Triggz »

Oh, we can sell it Image or at least I hope we can. If it's nicely playable as a high school group then it'll be fine! Last year we had a bit of a problem at first with A Warm Breeze by Sammy Nestico, but we were able to clean it up (luckily for me, because the 2nd trombone solo was mine, which I did all improv). In How High the Moon, would we be better off leaving our most of the 3rd part of we only have 2 trombones? If it's only getting 12 bars instead of 16 because it starts on the 5th, then does that make it not as important? I don't know because I don't have the score and have never played it of heard it live before. In your opinion, what would be best? If nothing is ideal I can half off a year and then request the piece in two school years.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The third solo has to be played or there's going to be a BIG hole in the performance.  If you have the typical 1st Tenor who can't be prevented from taking a lick, you could give it to him/her.  Transpose the chords into Bb and let fly.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Ballads... personally I quite like the Dave Steinmeyer's Version of Don't cry out loud. If a 5 mo the tbone player like me can do it(without the end cadenza) you should be able as well. I wouldn't call this jazz, but it is a no e tbone feature.
ttf_uncle duke

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

Here's all I can remember from high school over thirty years ago.  It's not much.  Birdland student arrangment, Misbehaven Dehaven, and Lost in the Shuffle.  I know the first two have trombone solo's, not sure if Lost in the Shuffle did.

Have you checked the bigger library systems like Patchogue-Medford and others similiar?  Is there a sheet music storage room at your school that your teacher will let you rummage through for the summer?  Maybe ask permission from the school heads and let the janitors know about it too.

Here's another that reached me across town via esp - Sink or Swing.
ttf_Triggz

Post by ttf_Triggz »

I'll hold off on How High the Moon then, unless we do get a 3rd Trombone next year.
We did some arrangement of Birdland this school year and I honestly disliked it. The 4 Trumpet had an obsession with it and it was annoying, and the piece was really cheesy. I haven't heard of those others.
I actually have no idea where they store the music! There's a storage room that has marching music, equipment, and lyres (no marching band at school for years due to lack of interest). Maybe they keep stuff in there. I could see about going through at the start of next year. There's some really OLD music that they have! Some were printed over 50 years ago and they're all yellow! Maybe there's something that I've never heard of that at least has a solo from trombone somewhere in it. The director is a fan of short solo sections that are opened to any instrument, and repeating them for everybody that wants it (such as this Jive at Five arrangement https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/media-player.jsp?&type=audio&productID=2419919). I'm okay with that, but I like having "my own song" where there aren't any other soloists.
ttf_Arranger-Transcriber

These three are excellent big-band solo trombone features:

"Emily," Bill Rogers (Carl Saunders, Be Bop Big Band) (features Trombone, can furnish Andy Martin's transcribed solo.) 

"I Thought About You," Tom Kubis, At Last (features Trombone)

"Time for Love, A," Sammy Nestico (Bill Watrous, A Time for Love; Airmen of Note, Bone Voyage featuring Dave Steinmeyer) (features Trombone)

All three can be heard on Spotify.  (Airmen of Note is at http://www.rewindplay.com/airmenofnote/sounds/sounds.htm

If you're having trouble locating the charts, I can help.

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Not sure if they have already been mentioned but there are these classic ballads (for the future Image):

Johnny Warrington arrangement of "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" - goes to high A

Bob Lowden arrangement of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" - goes to high Bb

Dorsey/Bone arrangement of "Song of India" - goes to high C

Are you just interested in solos or would music that features the trombone section interest you?  Such pieces might be tough if you have only 2 trombones.  In such cases you ask baritone and/or french horn players to fill out the section.  Stan Kenton was famous for having some interesting instrumentation, so there is precedent for doing such things.

ttf_Triggz

Post by ttf_Triggz »

Quote from: BillO on May 30, 2017, 06:40AMNot sure if they have already been mentioned but there are these classic ballads (for the future Image):

Johnny Warrington arrangement of "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" - goes to high Ab

Bob Lowden arrangement of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" - goes to high Bb

Dorsey/Bone arrangement of "Song of India" - goes to high C

Are you just interested in solos or would music that features the trombone section interest you?  Such pieces might be tough if you have only 2 trombones.  In such cases you ask baritone and/or french horn players to fill out the section.  Stan Kenton was famous for having some interesting instrumentation, so there is precedent for doing such things.

I'm not really too enthusiastic about a section feature. I like the spotlight on me, and I'm the best in the school. We have limited "resources" (players that can actually play and are willing to give up study hall). Even if the director would let them fill in the spots, they wouldn't come. But it would be cool if we had a quality euphonium player in the school. They could take bass trombone, which there's a 0% chance we'll have in jazz ensemble next year. The 3rd Trombone, IF they actually are allowed in by the director (allowing them in is a poor choice in my opinion), will be of little to no contribution to the ensemble, hoping that they don't make their numerous mistakes loudly.
I've listened to that arrangement of I'm Getting Sentimental Over You, and I enjoyed it. I haven't heard of the others but I'll be sure to check them out. My range right now goes to high D♭(above the staff in alto clef) , comfortably, but I'm working at it.
ttf_Triggz

Post by ttf_Triggz »

Quote from: Arranger-Transcriber on May 29, 2017, 10:38PMThese three are excellent big-band solo trombone features:

"Emily," Bill Rogers (Carl Saunders, Be Bop Big Band) (features Trombone, can furnish Andy Martin's transcribed solo.) 

I see that it wasn't ever really "officially" in print, but what do you have for that? It's too hard for our jazz ensemble, but I really liked it and I'm thinking it would be a great "save for later" tune!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Note that there are two versions of I'm Getting Sentimental.  In fact, the Stock came with parts for each.  One is in Bb going up to A (3 lines above the bass staff) and the other (claimed to be Tommy's original) is in D, going to C# (4 lines above the bass staff).  There is no improvisation in either version.

From your last post, it seems you have a pretty high opinion of yourself.  I suspect the Director likes the "open solo" tunes so that guys like you don't go on ego trips.  Also, are you really as good as you claim to be?  Sorry, I'm skeptical.

Incidentally, "Route 66" is a great piece to open for solos as well.

If you want to get along well with your Band Director, make the most of the "open" solos.  Don't try to hog the spotlight.  Save that for when you prove to the world that you really are  the next Bill Watrous.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 30, 2017, 12:02PMNote that there are two versions of I'm Getting Sentimental.  In fact, the Stock came with parts for each.  One is in Bb going up to A (3 lines above the bass staff)...
Right, it's an A.  Image

Correction made.
ttf_Arranger-Transcriber

"Emily," Bill Rogers (Carl Saunders, Be Bop Big Band)

To answer the question raised about "Emily," I have the chart in manuscript as originally written by Bill Rogers, and I also have an engraved (computerized) version of Rogers' manuscript (with score).
ttf_Triggz

Post by ttf_Triggz »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 30, 2017, 12:02PMNote that there are two versions of I'm Getting Sentimental.  In fact, the Stock came with parts for each.  One is in Bb going up to A (3 lines above the bass staff) and the other (claimed to be Tommy's original) is in D, going to C# (4 lines above the bass staff).  There is no improvisation in either version.

From your last post, it seems you have a pretty high opinion of yourself.  I suspect the Director likes the "open solo" tunes so that guys like you don't go on ego trips.  Also, are you really as good as you claim to be?  Sorry, I'm skeptical.

Incidentally, "Route 66" is a great piece to open for solos as well.

If you want to get along well with your Band Director, make the most of the "open" solos.  Don't try to hog the spotlight.  Save that for when you prove to the world that you really are  the next Bill Watrous.

I'm not suggesting I'm Getting Sentimental Over You just yet. There's only so much you can throw at the director at once. He doesn't only do jazz, but he also does advanced and non-advanced string orchestra for the school. But when the time comes, is one of the two arrangements easier than the other? I would assume the one that goes to A would be easier with range throughout the piece, and it's in an easier key for the trumpets and saxes as well as everybody else, but does that version sound less impressive? Are there scores, or parts of scores, online that I could compare?

I think the director likes opened solo sections for anybody to improv because he like to give everyone a chance (if they want it). When playing 2nd, I only had 1 solo (Sammy Nestico- A Warm Breeze) specifically for me. All my other solos came from opened solo sections. I get what he sees- this school year we did a couple sax features and a couple Trumpet features, and some pieces make non-soloists feel "left out." I know I can get at least one feature for myself next year. Plus, they extend the length of the piece when we can repeat them like 4 times. If you want a shot at it, you got it. The director likes me, especially after we went out-of-state on a trip and we had time to talk one-on-one about my ambitions, jazz and orchestral. In my school, yeah, I do consider myself on top at school. But when I go do other things (ex. trombone day at colleges) I know my place and don't try to "be the hero." But, damn, I'd love to be the next Bill Watrous, but a younger, female version. That would be so cool! He's played so many things that I haven't heard them all, not even close! I've only been exploring REAL jazz music since summer 2016. The jazz world is so big! And so is the classical world. There's just so much. And the only answer to that is "go practice."
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Triggz on May 30, 2017, 10:27PM... But when the time comes, is one of the two arrangements easier than the other? I would assume the one that goes to A would be easier with range throughout the piece, and it's in an easier key for the trumpets and saxes as well as everybody else, but does that version sound less impressive?

As you said, the one in Bb is an easier key for everyone, except maybe your bass and/or guitar.  The one in D is more impressive from the soloists perspective as it shows off your range.  But seeing as it is right at your limit, it might be a bit of a disappointing performance if you can't repeatedly hit that C# with clarity and confidence.  It's a very important note.  The Bb version is a nice arrangement and is much easier for a competent soloist to pull off.

I have never had someone say to me "Hey, you only played the Bb version."  Most audiences will be more interested in hearing the piece played well so they can enjoy dancing with their partner rather than in hearing you fail to impress them by missing that high C#.

As for improvising, the song is such that you can take great license with it if you want.  Remember though that it is a well known ballad and wandering too far from the melody may also only serve to disappoint your audience.  Regardless of how well executed your alterations are.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If this is going to be bought for the library of a High School jazz band, I'd definitely go for the Bb version.  Most High Schoolers don't have the range for the D.  When I was in High School (late Pre-Cambrian Era) we had a nice John LaBarbera piece that called for a high Bb.  Of four of us I was the only one who could hit it, so they gave me the 1st part even though as the only one with a trigger I normally played bass.

I should also point out that the version in D puts the Altos and Bari in B (5 sharps) and the trumpets and tenors in E (4 sharps).  This is uncomfortable territory for all of them.

If you are buying it for your personal library, anything goes.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I found the hand written solo version of "I'm getting Sentimental" in D that I played in grade 12 and put it into MuseScore.  It's a little bit different in that I played the bridge too.  I'll send you a PDF of it.  I can no longer play it reliably so I play a version in Bb these days.  Still working on getting my chops back after putting the trombone down for 18-19 years. Image
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I found the hand written solo version of "I'm getting Sentimental" in D that I played in grade 12 and put it into MuseScore.  It's a little bit different in that I played the bridge too.  I'll send you a PDF of it.  I can no longer play it reliably so I play a version in Bb these days.  Still working on getting my chops back after putting the trombone down for 18-19 years. Image

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”