Modifying Bach bell receiver with Shires receiver

ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

Has anyone modified a .547 Bach bell (in this case a straight gooseneck) by adding a Shires receiver? If so, were there any surprises with the fit?? Thanks
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I've probably done what your asking. Do you mean a bell section? Or a bell? I've added both a Bach 42 bell to a Shires neckpipe and a slide receiver to a Bach bell. Both worked well for me but I can provide more information depending on how you clarify.
ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

Matt, I haven't yet resolved my problem with my Shires slide being a secure fit with my 36G bell. In most cases, I use the 36 in a straight configuration and I have modified the neckpipe with a 42 receiver. I originally thought that I would swap the Shires slide tenon to a 42 tenon, but the inside diameter of the 42 tenon is .30 larger than the outside diameter of the Shires .525 slide tube. The slide tube goes thru the tenon on a Shires... So, it seems the simplest solution would be to remove the 42 receiver on my Bach straight neckpipe and replace it with a Shires neckpipe receiver.

When you modified your Bach bell to fit a Shires neckpipe, did the bell side tuning slide receiver fit without modification?? Many thanks, Greg
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Ah okay! Yes I remember now.

So there is one combination that doesn't work so well in this type of setup (in terms of the parts fitting together, not necessarily playability) and that is a 42 slide receiver -> Shires tenon. 

My project had the opposite of that. My tech had the Shires (valve section) part and left the slide receiver in place. That worked fine with a Bach 42 slide even with the original tenon.

So originally I had a straight Bach 42.  In order to add the Shires section, my tech cut the neckpipe to be the correct length above the valve. So everything above the valve itself was a Bach part.  The valve and tubing were Shires, the slide receiver was Shires. The only Shres part that required modification was the lower bell brace, which needed to be shortened a little because it was longer than the upper bell brace and tuning slide.

So I didn't replace the bell side tuning slide receiver on that project because I used the original Bach tuning slide --- all that was technically changed was the receiver.

So if you plan only only changing the slide receiver, you should be okay because you can still use the Bach 42 slide receivers on them and Shires slides. When you do the opposite - as you have discovered - it tends to be a bit loose.

I hope that helps, let me know if I can be more clear. I might be able to dig pictures up of my project too.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Ah okay! Yes I remember now.

So there is one combination that doesn't work so well in this type of setup (in terms of the parts fitting together, not necessarily playability) and that is a 42 slide receiver -> Shires tenon. 

My project had the opposite of that. My tech had the Shires (valve section) part and left the slide receiver in place. That worked fine with a Bach 42 slide even with the original tenon.

So originally I had a straight Bach 42.  In order to add the Shires section, my tech cut the neckpipe to be the correct length above the valve. So everything above the valve itself was a Bach part.  The valve and tubing were Shires, the slide receiver was Shires. The only Shres part that required modification was the lower bell brace, which needed to be shortened a little because it was longer than the upper bell brace and tuning slide.

So I didn't replace the bell side tuning slide receiver on that project because I used the original Bach tuning slide --- all that was technically changed was the receiver.

So if you plan only only changing the slide receiver, you should be okay because you can still use the Bach 42 slide receivers on them and Shires slides. When you do the opposite - as you have discovered - it tends to be a bit loose.

I hope that helps, let me know if I can be more clear. I might be able to dig pictures up of my project too.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”