Leadpipe removal

ttf_fgodin

Leadpipe removal

Post by ttf_fgodin »

Hi!

My local technician won't pull out my leadpipe from my 42 slide. Do you know someone who does it?
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Leadpipe removal

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

CIOMIT, Osmun, Brass Lab, Brass Ark, Slide Dr. and many others. They can all also make it so your slide takes common threaded leadpipes.
ttf_Matt K

Leadpipe removal

Post by ttf_Matt K »

There might be a reason they won't remove your 42 pipe. They're notorious for being among the more difficult to remove. If its an older horn it may be corroded in place and it may be more expensive to remove the pipe than it would to "simply" replace the tube at $200ish + labor + cost of a replacement tube.

However, it could also be lack of experience doing it. harrison's list is good.  There are also some techs on the forum here who would be able to help you make that decision as well.
ttf_SilverBone

Leadpipe removal

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

John Sandhagen did mine.
ttf_Horn Builder

Leadpipe removal

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

I've done quite a few pipe removals from both 42's and 50's.
It's not "that" hard with the right tools.

M
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Leadpipe removal

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: Matt K on May 23, 2017, 06:18AMThere might be a reason they won't remove your 42 pipe. They're notorious for being among the more difficult to remove. If its an older horn it may be corroded in place and it may be more expensive to remove the pipe than it would to "simply" replace the tube at $200ish + labor + cost of a replacement tube.

However, it could also be lack of experience doing it. harrison's list is good.  There are also some techs on the forum here who would be able to help you make that decision as well.

I sensed that the Slide Dr. was hesitant to remove mine when I took it in for a "set up". He explained that things are very difficult to align in the cork barrel: lead pipe, top of tube, etc. Although ultimately he would have done it, I ended up holding off, since it was a backup slide. By the way, Getzen tubes will fit the 42. And at a around a third of the cost, at least through the Slide Dr.
ttf_Blowero

Leadpipe removal

Post by ttf_Blowero »

I've pulled a lot of 42 pipes. It usually isn't too difficult.
ttf_greenbean

Leadpipe removal

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Every once in a while you get this...

https://goo.gl/photos/FNWnxsgGR55GSDwq5

Older Conn 88H.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Leadpipe removal

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Wow. If that happens does that mean the whole slide is done? That looks pretty serious.
ttf_Matt K

Leadpipe removal

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Anecdotal evidence that you should take your pipe to a tech who is familiar with the process. Some techs I've used refused t o do it because of the difficulty involved (possibly lack of specific tools too) but the guys on the forum here treat it as its not very difficult. They aren't bluffing either. I'd take the tech at their word if they would rather not do it.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Leadpipe removal

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on May 23, 2017, 05:56AMCIOMIT, Osmun, Brass Lab, Brass Ark, Slide Dr. and many others. They can all also make it so your slide takes common threaded leadpipes.

Forget Brasslab-closed down.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Leadpipe removal

Sad....
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Leadpipe removal

Sad....

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”