Conn 110H slide options

ttf_anonymous

Conn 110H slide options

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just curious if anyone knows what slides will work with the Conn 110H. I've had my horn for about 6 months and am not crazy about the light weight slide. It's possible a tech could tweek it for me but at this point I'd like to know what options I have.

Thanks
ttf_Alex

Conn 110H slide options

Post by ttf_Alex »

Just a general question, but have you considered leadpipes rather than an entire slide change ?
You can get some quite dramatic changes from that small piece of tubing.
ttf_TasiaDC

Conn 110H slide options

Post by ttf_TasiaDC »

Thanks for the response. Frankly, I'm a novice regarding equipment so pardon the uninformed questions. I just started playing again after a 35 years.

My horn dosn't have a removable lead pipe so I'm assuming I'd need a tech? What benefits might I see with a different lead pipe?

Thanks
ttf_Alex

Conn 110H slide options

Post by ttf_Alex »

Cost for a start. If you want to play around then Leadpipes are about as cheap as it gets and a lot more options available than a slide change.
If you have just started playing again after such a long time then I would just leave everything where it is and get yourself settled with playing again.
This advice is from a half decent amatuer player...you may get different/better advice from someone else, but sometimes it is too easy to blame one part for any issues you may be having. Do you have a point of reference for thinking you need a new slide ?
You can make big changes in feel and response with a leadpipe. I cant give you specifics as I dont play a Conn 110H, but having the leadpipe pulled is unlikely to affect the resale value should you decide to go down the route of a different instrument.

ttf_John McKevitt

Conn 110H slide options

Post by ttf_John McKevitt »

Leadpipes are a great way to customize your sound.
 I personally do not like LW anything on Bass Trombones,
 You might want to check into getting a set of over sleeves for your outer slide tubes.
I had a LW Nickel Bach50 slide and had the over sleeves attached .It changed the playing carachteristics of the Trombone greatly. A darker more useable tone able to sustain loud volumes without breaking up.  I wish I would have tried a yellow brass crook on that hand slide B4 I sold it.
Others have made a good point here also. Practice , Practice , Practice
Good Luck
ttf_TasiaDC

Conn 110H slide options

Post by ttf_TasiaDC »

Quote from: Alex on May 23, 2017, 04:43PMCost for a start. If you want to play around then Leadpipes are about as cheap as it gets and a lot more options available than a slide change.
If you have just started playing again after such a long time then I would just leave everything where it is and get yourself settled with playing again.
This advice is from a half decent amatuer player...you may get different/better advice from someone else, but sometimes it is too easy to blame one part for any issues you may be having. Do you have a point of reference for thinking you need a new slide ?
You can make big changes in feel and response with a leadpipe. I cant give you specifics as I dont play a Conn 110H, but having the leadpipe pulled is unlikely to affect the resale value should you decide to go down the route of a different instrument.

I can't say I have a point of reference really. Just that I don't like the feel in positions 1through 3 and I struggle for good tone. Perhaps I'm expecting too much too soon and just sit tight for a while
ttf_TasiaDC

Conn 110H slide options

Post by ttf_TasiaDC »

Quote from: John McKevitt on May 23, 2017, 08:36PM Leadpipes are a great way to customize your sound.
 I personally do not like LW anything on Bass Trombones,
 You might want to check into getting a set of over sleeves for your outer slide tubes.
I had a LW Nickel Bach50 slide and had the over sleeves attached .It changed the playing carachteristics of the Trombone greatly. A darker more useable tone able to sustain loud volumes without breaking up.  I wish I would have tried a yellow brass crook on that hand slide B4 I sold it.
Others have made a good point here also. Practice , Practice , Practice
Good Luck

Just curious,what makes it light weight? Thickness of the outer slide? Are light weight slides more prone to damage? I don't know, the slide just seems like it dosn't fit the horn, on the cheap side maybe? Like I said though, it's been a long time so perhaps I'll just keep at it to see if tone quality improves.
ttf_Alex

Conn 110H slide options

Post by ttf_Alex »

I think its lightweight as the slide doesnt have "oversleeves".
These are 2 sleeves of tubung over the top end of the slide.
They can add a bit of weight.
Dont ask me what they do tonally.
Is the rotor in good shape ? Is it lined up correctly ? Does the water key leak air ? Does the mouthpiece fit correctly ?
Lots of reasons for an instrument to feel a bit off.
ttf_Alex

Conn 110H slide options

Post by ttf_Alex »

I think its lightweight as the slide doesnt have "oversleeves".
These are 2 sleeves of tubung over the top end of the slide.
They can add a bit of weight.
Dont ask me what they do tonally.
Is the rotor in good shape ? Is it lined up correctly ? Does the water key leak air ? Does the mouthpiece fit correctly ?
Lots of reasons for an instrument to feel a bit off.

Return to “Instruments”