Maybe Take up the Euphonium or Baritone Horn?

ttf_bobroden

Post by ttf_bobroden »

As discussed in a separate thread, I'm in the midst of a tendonitis problem that requires me to rest my left arm as much as I can.  It's not possible to know how long I'll be out of commission on the trombone, but "weeks to months" seems to be the general period for tendonitis healing, and everyone seems to agree it's a slow process.

That being the situation, I had another thought: might it make sense to take up the euphonium or baritone horn while my arm is healing?  Offhand, it seems like that would be a better option than just not playing for an extended period.

I've never played the euphonium or baritone horn, so I don't know how much sense this makes.  For example, could I hold the horn in a way that wouldn't involve bending my left arm the way I have to to hold a trombone?  Is there a strap arrangement available for playing standing?

I play mostly in small jazz combo settings; would a euphonium or baritone horn work well enough for that purpose?

If the idea does make reasonable sense, any thoughts or guidance about the horns themselves?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!
ttf_Tbonedude

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

Some euphoniums have rings for attaching a strap. Most I've seen, however, do not. Euphonium in general will have you bending your arm less, like you want. A front-valve horn will bend your arm more than a top-valve horn- a front-valve horn is held up with both arms, the left hand grasping somewhere along the side of the instrument. A top-valve horn has your arm wrapped around the front, grasping the 3rd valve slide or the side of the instrument.

If I was going to play gigs with one, I'd personally get a horn with a forward-facing bell. A bell-up baritone or euphonium doesn't project very well. The smaller bore and overall bore profile of the baritone will allow the tone to get a little more brassy, but at the loss of playing very loudly (more than FF). A euphonium may let you play louder, but the tone doesn't get very brassy very easily- they're built to be euphonious, after all.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Having just spent 3 weekends listening to Brass Band championships I can offer the following:

The British Brass Band Baritone Horn sounds a lot like a trombone.  You hold it cradled with the left hand around it while the right hand operates the top action valves.  It's not much bigger than an alto horn and weighs about as much as a trombone.  Uses a small shank trombone sized mouthpiece.

The Euphonium (what we normally call a Baritone in the US) is held similarly but has a different tone.  I'm not sure that it's a replacement for a trombone in a jazz setting; but it can have an interesting voice.  Penetration of a bunch of overamped gee-tars may be a problem.  I believe Rich Matteson plays one as a jazz instrument.

The American Baritone is midway between.  May combine the worst of both worlds for you in terms of penetration and sound.  A valve front may be easier to play ergonomically.

Even if they don't have rings, you might be able to adapt a guitar strap.  I used a shoelace to hold the strap to the instrument (in my case an Eb tuba).  The lace can go around any size tubing.

Any may be a good choice while you rest your arms and let the tendinitis heal.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Try the Yamaha yep 321, or a clone/similar setup. Nice and light weight. On the Werden forum there's a guy called Snorlax. He has played with a harness in the past. You could also try the Stewart stand, or the QHR euphonium hand strap. Dwerden.com.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Bob, I have a Yamaha 211 3-valve bell-front euphonium you can borrow if you want to explore a bit.  Great little player...  

E-mail...
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I'd rather use the ergobone to be honest.  But I will say that the euph/baritone is fun to play and it might give you a good opportunity to pick up a double.  If I were buying, I'd look into the wessex front piston that just came out.  Looks very comfortable.
ttf_fsung

Post by ttf_fsung »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 05, 2017, 02:28PMI believe Rich Matteson plays one as a jazz instrument.

"Played," if you're referring to the Rich Matteson who taught at North Texas State Univ. and co-led of the Matteson-Phillips Tubajazz Consort, who passed away in 1993.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Playing Euphonium or Baritone unless using a stand is going to require some support from the left hand even if you use a strap you have to hold the horn so the leadpipe is in the correct position for mouthpiece angle etc.  An Ergobone or other support for your trombone would give you similar results.  Euphonium or Baritone is a great double for a trombonist but don't expect it to totally eliminate any left hand pressure unless you use a stand to totally support the weight of the horn.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I have made a support for a trumpet on a mic stand or tripod to be played with one hand.  The same may be possible for a bass trumpet or flugabone type of instrument.
ttf_bobroden

Post by ttf_bobroden »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on May 05, 2017, 03:24PMI have made a support for a trumpet on a mic stand or tripod to be played with one hand.  The same may be possible for a bass trumpet or flugabone type of instrument.

That sounds like a real interesting possibility.  Do you recall what you used to make the support?
ttf_bobroden

Post by ttf_bobroden »

Quote from: Matt K on May 05, 2017, 02:35PMI'd rather use the ergobone to be honest.  But I will say that the euph/baritone is fun to play and it might give you a good opportunity to pick up a double.  If I were buying, I'd look into the wessex front piston that just came out.  Looks very comfortable.

I have the Ergobone, but it doesn't work for me at present; just holding my left hand in playing position, even for balancing purposes, makes my arm get stiff and achy.  I'm expecting it will be useful, though, when I've made some progress on healing.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Yeah, I'd recommend a smaller bore horn like the tenor horn or trombonium, four sound in a jazz setting and the weight issue. My tendonitis sounds similar to yours, and if sitting down, the euphonium is ok. Standing, I'd get a bandolier strap. Its a shame that problems with the left arm make you plsy a non-slide instrument.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You could also see if you can make use of one of those harness things being sold for baritone sax.  Maybe create an attach point using a shoelace.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I have the one I made for trumpet, but for another instrument I'm sure it would have to be different and I'd need to have the instrument here to make a holder.  No modification to the trumpet was necessary, and I would try to do the same sort of thing. It fits on a tripod or monopod with a standard 1/4-20 thread mount.  You can get 5/8-27 adaptors for mic stands, with a swivel so you can adjust the horn angle.

It worked for my brother after rotator cuff surgery.

Bass trumpet is one instrument I don't own, so I can't try it myself.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: fsung on May 05, 2017, 02:40PM... the Matteson-Phillips Tubajazz Consort...

They were AWESOME!  Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

If you play it in a jazz context, please play it like Maynard "The Boss" Ferguson did.

I feel like the baritone / euph is a pretty natural instrument for trombonists to take up. Try to get one with a slide kicker if you can, otherwise you'll go crazy.

https://youtube.com/v/Mmb-mGsK280
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

If you play it in a jazz context, please play it like Maynard "The Boss" Ferguson did.

I feel like the baritone / euph is a pretty natural instrument for trombonists to take up. Try to get one with a slide kicker if you can, otherwise you'll go crazy.

https://youtube.com/v/Mmb-mGsK280

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”